Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Macaroni Soup
Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Macaroni Soup is something I’ve made for years for Denny family parties and it’s always a hit! For a lower-carb version use more sausage and less pasta or skip the macaroni and use more zucchini.
This Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Macaroni Soup is favorite soup that I first made years ago, and since then I’ve made it many times for family get-togethers, or for my annual New Year’s Day soup party. It’s perfect for this time of year when the nights are getting cooler, but there’s still zucchini from the garden to be used.
If it’s starting to get a little cold where you are and you happen to have some zucchini, I highly recommend this as a good soup to help you transition to the new season. In fact, this soup is worth making even if you have to buy zucchini!
How to Make Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Macaroni Soup:
Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- I’ll normally use Jenni-O Hot Turkey Italian Sausage for this soup, but you can use pork sausage if you prefer.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil and brown the sausage well. Don’t rush this step; the browning adds flavor!
- If your sausage is raw, you’ll need to brown the whole links first it to get it firm enough enough to slice.
- While the sausage browns, start simmering the chicken stock, roasted or canned tomatoes, dried oregano, and dried basil in soup pot.
- When the sausage is browned, add it to the soup pot. Saute the onions and garlic in the same pan you used to brown the sausage, then add those to the simmering soup as well.
- Deglaze this pan with 1 cup of water and add to the soup.
- Dice up enough zucchini to make about 2 cups of diced zucchini. Measure 1 cup of dried whole wheat macaroni. I used my frozen chopped basil for this, (which is a good reason to be freezing basil for winter!)
- Add zucchini to the soup and simmer 15 minutes. (If you’d like a low-carb and gluten-free version of this soup, use a little more zucchini and skip the macaroni.)
- Then add the macaroni (plus another cup of water if needed, which it probably will be.)
- Simmer soup about 15 minutes more, or just until the macaroni is done.
- Stir in the chopped fresh basil (or frozen chopped basil) and cook just a couple of minutes more.
- Serve soup hot, with plenty of freshly grated Parmesan for people to add at the table.
More Soup Recipes You Might Like:
Soup or Stew Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Sausage and Bean Soup with Pasta ~ The Italian Dish
Italian Sausage and Bean Soup with Chard ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Italian Sausage and Bean Soup ~ Eat at Home
Lentil Soup with Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 5 links hot Italian Sausage, cut into 3/8 inch slices
- 2 tsp. olive oil, for browning sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 T finely chopped fresh garlic (or garlic puree)
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock (see notes)
- two 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 cup whole wheat macaroni (see notes)
- 3 T minced fresh basil (optional, or you can use frozen basil)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving soup
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick frying pan, add sausage and cook until well browned and firm.
- Remove sausage to cutting board and cut in 3/8 inch slices.
- Put sausage back in frying pan and brown both sides of slices well. (If you used pre-cooked turkey Italian Sausage, you can just slice the sausage and brown it.)
- While sausage browns, combine homemade chicken stock, oregano, slow-roasted tomatoes, and basil in medium stock pot and start to simmer.
- When sausage is thoroughly browned, add it to stock mixture.
- Put onions in pan you used to brown sausage and cook 3-4 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add onions and garlic to soup.
- Deglaze the pan with 1 cup water and add to soup, then simmer 30 minutes.
- Cut ends off zucchini and cut lengthwise into fourths, then trim away all but 3/8 inch of white part.
- Cut zucchini strips into 1/2 inch slices.
- Add zucchini to soup and simmer 15 minutes.
- Taste soup for flavor and add more water if needed.
- Add pasta, check heat to be sure soup is at a very gentle boil and cook 15 minutes more.
- Stir in fresh basil if using, (or you can use frozen basil).
- Cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve soup hot, with freshly grated Parmesan cheese to add at the table.
If you don't have homemade chicken stock, use four 15 oz cans cans chicken broth, which might need to be simmered a bit longer.
For a lower-carb gluten-free soup skip the macaroni and use a more zucchini.
Recipe created by Kalyn, and served at many Denny family parties.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 868mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you use turkey Italian Sausage and whole wheat pasta, and only a moderate amount of Parmesan cheese, this Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Macaroni Soup would be a great choice for phase two or three of the South Beach Diet or any type of low-glycemic eating plan. If you want a lower-carb version of this soup, just use lots more sausage and less macaroni.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one.Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.