Instant Pot (or Stovetop) Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup (Video)
If you’re a fan of Instant Pot soup, you’re going to love this Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup, and there are stovetop instructions as well! Use Pressure Cooker Recipes to find more soups to make in the Instant Pot!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup!
I’m still enjoying sunny Costa Rica but this Instant Pot (or Stovetop) Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup is a new recipe I had ready to go so I could share it with you while I’m here! Sometimes when a recipe idea pops into my mind I’ll google it to see if there are lots of other bloggers who have already made similar things. But when I had the idea for a low-carb version of Zupppa Toscana Soup, I didn’t need to google it. I knew there would be other bloggers who had made their version of this tasty soup, and I didn’t care. I love the ingredients in Zuppa Toscana soup so much I wanted to make it even if it wasn’t that original or creative.
And wow, was it ever a winner! My version of Zuppa Toscana has bacon, my favorite spicy Italian sausage, onion, garlic, chicken stock, chopped cauliflower, red pepper flakes, chopped kale, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese to add at the table. How can anything with those ingredients possibly taste bad? I know some people aren’t big on cauliflower or kale, but all these ingredients are a big yes from me!
And because the onion, garlic, and sausage are cooked in the Instant Pot (affiliate link) before you lock the lid and cauliflower cooks in a flash in the Instant Pot, this soup is super quick! So when you need a quick dinner that’s easy, tasty, and low-carb, give this Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup a try!
[Edit 1-23-18] After I got a few e-mails asking how to make Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup on the stove, I made it for a group of friends so I could share those directions. You can find stovetop instructions in the main recipe below, right after the Instant Pot instructions.
How to Make Instant Pot Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup:
(This is just a summary of the steps shown in the photos; scroll down for the complete recipe.)
- Start by chopping the bacon, onion, cauliflower, and the kale. You could do that ahead and keep those ingredients in containers in the fridge if you want to be ready to cook when you get home from work.
- Set the Instant Pot (affiliate link) to SAUTE and HIGH temperature, add the chopped bacon and cook until it’s nicely crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon. If there’s a huge amount of bacon fat you can remove some (or not) but leave at least a tablespoon of bacon fat to cook the onion.
- Turn Instant Pot down to SAUTE and NORMAL temperature; add chopped onion and cook 2-3 minutes. Then add the minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Squeeze the Italian sausage out of the casings into the Instant Pot and cook the sausage while you break it apart with a plastic or wooden turner (not metal, which might scratch the pot.) If you’re using turkey Italian sausage it may release some water, but keep cooking until that’s evaporated and the turkey is starting to brown.
- Then add the chopped cauliflower, chicken stock, red pepper flakes, salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and the cooked bacon. Lock the lid and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL and HIGH temperature, TWO MINUTES.
- After the cooking time of two minutes is up, use QUICK RELEASE to release the pressure.
- Set the Instant Pot back to SAUTE and HIGH temperature, add the chopped kale, and simmer the soup 4-5 minutes (or until kale is done to your liking.)
- Turn heat down to LOW (and let the soup cool down a bit if it’s bubbling).
- Then stir in the cream and heat it through. (Don’t boil after the heavy cream is added.)
Serve hot, with plenty of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese to add at the table.
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Click here to see more Pressure Cooker / Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Low-Carb Soups in the Instant Pot:
The BEST Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
50 Amazing Low-Carb Instant Pot Soup Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot (or Stovetop) Low-Carb Loaded Cauliflower Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Instant Pot Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
I used my favorite spicy turkey Italian sausage for this soup, but use pork sausage if you prefer. Use half and half or milk if you prefer that over heavy cream. Recipe adapted by Kalyn and Kara after a few experiments with various amount of ingredients.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 9g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 591mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 15g
I used my favorite spicy turkey Italian sausage for this soup, but use pork sausage if you prefer. Use half and half or milk if you prefer that over heavy cream.
Recipe adapted by Kalyn and Kara after a few experiments with various amount of ingredients.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Instant Pot (or Stovetop) Low-Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup is a good soup recipe for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet. Soup with bacon and heavy cream would be outside the approve fat guidelines for the South Beach Diet, but I bet you could make a pretty tasty soup using lower-fat ingredients if you’re a South Beach fan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.