Easy Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp
Easy Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp features extra-large shrimp, simply sauteed with garlic and lemon to make a perfect healthy dinner. This easy recipe literally cooks in minutes, and this is special enough to make for dinner guests! Use Seafood Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
I grew up in a family where my father loved shrimp and my mother hated them, and it was a sign of how much my mom loved my dad that periodically she would heat up a big pot of oil and make deep-fried shrimp for Dad and the other family members who liked it. I was always daddy’s girl, so I loved everything my father ate, including rare steak, Roquefort dressing on salad, onion sandwiches, and shrimp of any kind.
When you splurge on big shrimp like these (called prawns in many places) there are many good ways to serve them, but I loved this Easy Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp that features shrimp sauteed with minced fresh garlic and then served with lemon juice and lemon zest added at the very end.
The inspiring recipe sauteed the shrimp in 3 tablespoons of melted butter, which no doubt would taste fantastic; use that if you prefer. I used one tablespoon of butter along with two tablespoons of olive oil in the version I made; choose the ratio of butter to olive oil that you prefer, but do cook carefully if you use all butter because butter burns more easily than olive oil.
I used 21-25 count shrimp, which seemed perfect for this recipe. Let the shrimp thaw overnight in the refrigerator the day before you’re going to cook them. (Buy pre-peeled shrimp or peel them when they’ve thawed.) Zest and juice the lemon and mince the garlic so it’s ready when you start to cook the shrimp.
Heat the olive oil and melt the butter over medium-high heat. I used a pan that was nice enough it could be used to serve the shrimp. When the oil/butter is hot, add the shrimp in a single layer and cook until they just start to look pink on the edges. This won’t take more than 1-2 minutes.
Turn all the shrimp over and add the garlic. Continue to cook until Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp are done, not more than 3-4 minutes more. Turn off heat as soon as the shrimp are barely firm and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and a tiny bit of salt if desired.
Serve Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp hot and wait for compliments.
More Tasty Recipes for Shrimp:
Low-Carb Roasted Asian Shrimp and Brussels Sprouts Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Cilantro Lime Shrimp ~ Recipe Girl
Quick and Easy Spicy Broiled Shrimp ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Caesar Salad with Oven-Roasted Shrimp ~ Valerie’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Mediterranean Shrimp over Spinach ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Skillet Shrimp Fajitas ~ Taste and Tell
Easy Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp
Easy Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp make a perfect easy dinner.
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp, thawed if frozen (I used 21-25 per pound size, which was good for this recipe. Buy pre-peeled shrimp or peel them when they have thawed.)
- 2 T olive oil (or butter, cook carefully if you use all butter, as the small bit of olive oil helps keep the butter from burning)
- 1 T butter
- 2 T finely minced garlic
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 T lemon zest (or a little less if you’re not that fond of lemon zest)
- sea salt to taste (I did not use much salt)
- If using frozen shrimp thaw them over night in the refrigerator. Drain shrimp and pat dry.
- Zest one large lemon and then squeeze the juice, to yield at least 2 T juice and close to 1 T lemon zest. Finely mince garlic cloves to make 2 T minced garlic.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat and then melt the butter, using a large heavy pan. (I used a pan that was nice enough to serve the shrimp from, which helps keep them hot.) Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook just until they start to turn pink at the edges, not more than 1-2 minutes.
- Turn shrimp over quickly and add the minced garlic. Continue to cook until shrimp are barely firm, probably not more than 3-4 minutes more. (Don’t overcook; the shrimp will continue to cook a little in the hot pan.)
- Turn off heat and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt as desired and stir to coat shrimp. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted slightly from Giant Garlic Shrimp in Sunset Magazine Best Recipes 2012, but I could not find the recipe online.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Shrimp are a wonderful ingredient for carb-conscious eating, and these Low-Carb Garlic and Lemon Shrimp are perfect for any phase of the South Beach Diet or any other type of low-carb diet plan. South Beach would recommend olive oil over butter in this recipe. Some types of low-carb diet plans would probably use all butter; take your choice.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutritional analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.