Italian Sausage Soup with Tomatoes and Zucchini Noodles (Video)
Italian Sausage Soup with Tomatoes and Zucchini Noodles is Keto, low-carb, and gluten-free, and this is a fun way make a noodle soup. And personally I think the combination of zucchini noodles and Italian Sausage is perfect in this soup!
If you search Italian Sausage on Kalyn’s Kitchen, it’s pretty easy to see that spicy or mild turkey Italian sausage is one of my favorite ingredients to use for soup. And truthfully, I’ve loved all the Italian Sausage soups I’ve posted on the blog, but this Italian Sausage Soup with Tomatoes and Zucchini Noodles rocked my world in a special way because of the short bits of zucchini noodles in the soup. And this is a tasty soup that’s quick and easy to make in a pot on the stove!
Of course using zucchini noodles instead of pasta or beans in a soup like this also makes it a perfect low-carb and gluten-free recipe. You could easily make this recipe Keto as well by using only one can of tomatoes and using full-fat pork sausage. But no matter how you choose to vary the recipe, I hope you’ll try this tasty low-carb Italian Sausage Soup because it’s a really, really delicious soup.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- turkey or pork Italian Sausage
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- canned chicken broth (affiliate link) or chicken stock
- canned petite diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- Dried Basil (affiliate link)
- dried Greek Oregano (affiliate link)
- ground fennel (affiliate link) (probably optional, but I love the flavor of this)
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Italian Sausage Soup with Tomatoes and Zucchini Noodles:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, squeeze the turkey sausage out of the casings, and brown it well.
- Add the browned sausage, canned chicken broth (affiliate link), canned petite dice tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices to the soup pot and start to simmer.
- Chop up the red pepper, green pepper, and onion and saute for a few minutes; then add those vegetables to the soup and simmer on low for 30-60 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered for a while, use a Spiralizer (affiliate link) or other method for making zucchini noodles of your choice. I used my Paderno Spiralizer (affiliate link) and cut a slit along zucchini and used the thick blade to make short curved noodles that slightly resemble macaroni.
- Add noodles to the soup and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes more.
- Serve Italian Sausage Soup with Tomatoes and Zucchini Noodles hot, with a little freshly grated Parmesan to sprinkle on top if desired!
More Soup with Zucchini Noodles:
- Low-Carb and Keto Zucchini Noodle Soups
- Low-Carb Turkey Soup with Zucchini Noodles
- Turkey Mushroom Soup with Zucchini Noodles
- Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Macaroni Soup (with Low-Carb Pasta)
- 19.5 oz. pkg. turkey or pork Italian Sausage (see notes)
- 1 T olive oil
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock (Or use 64 oz. stock from a carton or can if you prefer.)
- 2 14.5 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 T dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried Greek oregano
- 2 tsp. ground fennel (probably optional, but I love the flavor of this)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped (or use the whole pepper if you prefer)
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped (or use the whole pepper if you prefer)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium (10 inches long) zucchini
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan, squeeze sausage out of the casings into the pan, and cook until all liquid is evaporated and the sausage is nicely browned, about 10 minutes. (I browned the sausage in my favorite Green Pan (affiliate link). I like to use an old fashioned potato masher (affiliate link) to break the sausage apart.)
- When the sausage is nicely browned, add it to a medium-sized soup pot with the chicken stock, canned tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, dried basil, dried oregano, and ground fennel. Let the mixture start to simmer over low heat.
- While soup simmers, chop up the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and onion. Heat the other teaspoon of olive oil in the same pan you browned the sausage in and cook the peppers and onions for a few minutes, then add to soup pot.
- Let the soup simmer on low for 30-60 minutes. (Sixty minutes is best, but you can get away with a less if you're short on time.)
- After soup has simmered for a while, make the zucchini noodles. Wash the zucchini and pat dry, then cut off both ends and cut a lengthwise slit going halfway through one side of the zucchini. Use a Spiralizer (affiliate link) on the thicker noodle blade (or other method for making zucchini noodles of your choice) to make thick half-noodles (Making a slit in the zucchini makes short noodles instead of one long one. You can see photos of the cut zucchini and short noodles here.)
- Add noodles to the soup and simmer 20-30 minutes more, depending on how done you like the zucchini.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot, with freshly-grated Parmesan to add at the table if desired.
Use hot or sweet sausage, but I like hot sausage for this soup.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Jake, with inspiration from Italian Sausage, Zucchini, and Macaroni Soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 55g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Italian Sausage Soup with Tomatoes and Zucchini Noodles is perfect for any phase of the original South Beach Diet and for other Keto, low-carb , and low-glycemic diet plans. South Beach would want turkey Italian sausage like I used, but other diets would prefer pork sausage.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This soup with Italian sausage, tomatoes, and zucchini noodles was first posted in 2015. The recipe was last updated with more information in 2023.