Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup (Video)
This delicious Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup can help you enjoy stuffed pepper soup without so many carbs, and this tasty soup is also gluten-free. Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch how to make Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup!
Back in the archives of the blog there’s a popular recipe called Stuffed Pepper Soup. If you’re not watching your carbs, that’s a delicious soup recipe made from all the ingredients you might use in stuffed peppers like green bell pepper, onion, sausage, ground beef, tomatoes, and herbs. There are a few added ingredients to add flavor, and there is also rice. The soup doesn’t have a huge amount of rice in each serving and I use low-glycemic Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice, but it’s still too much rice for it to be considered a low-carb recipe.
I did say in the notes after the Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe that I thought it would work well with cauliflower rice, so I’m not so sure why it took me so long to try it. But I can happily report that this Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup (with cauliflower rice) is absolutely the bomb! I’ve already eaten some of my leftovers and I have more in the freezer waiting for a cold night.
We used frozen cauliflower rice which also made it easy, and the frozen cauliflower pieces were nice and small and cooked quickly, but you could definitely use chopped cauliflower and just cook it a bit longer. In the low-carb version we used a bit more sausage and left out the mushrooms, but you could add some chopped mushrooms if you’d like. And if you like all those stuffed pepper flavors I described above, I hope you’ll try this soup!
How to Make Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a non-stick pan, saute the onion until it’s just starting to brown, then add the Italian Herb Blend and cook a few minutes more. Add the onion to the soup pot.
- Add the chopped green peppers and cook until they are starting to slightly char. Add the peppers to the soup pot.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and cook the ground beef and turkey Italian sausage, breaking it apart with the turner as it cooks. Add the meats to the soup pot.
- Then add the crushed tomatoes, water, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and low-sugar ketchup, bring the soup to a low simmer and let it cook 30-40 minutes.
- Then add 2 cups of frozen cauliflower rice (or cauliflower you’ve chopped in the food processor) and cook 20-30 minutes longer. Use the longer cooking time for fresh cauliflower.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot.
This Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup is amazing with some freshly-grated Parmesan to add at the table if you like the idea of that!
More Soup with Cauliflower:
10 Delicious Low-Carb Soups with Cauliflower ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Buffalo Cauliflower Soup ~ A Spicy Perspective
Greek Egg-Lemon Chicken Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Cheese Soup ~ Real Housemoms
Instant Pot Low-Carb Loaded Cauliflower Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Cauliflower and Thyme Soup ~ Sugar-Free Mom
Cheesy Low-Carb Broccoli Cauliflower Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 1 T Italian Herb Blend
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeds and stems removed and chopped into half-inch pieces
- 19.5 oz. uncooked turkey Italian sausage, squeezed out of the casing ()
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 15 oz. cans crushed tomatoes + 2 cans water (rinse out the can with the water)
- 4 14 oz. cans beef broth (or use 7 cups homemade beef stock)
- 1 T Worcestershire Sauce (or more)
- 1/2 cup ketchup (I used Heinz Reduced-Sugar Ketchup)
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower rice (Available at Trader Joes, Target, Kroger, and many other stores.)
- salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- freshly-grated Parmesan for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tsp. of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan. (I used my favorite Green Pan (affiliate link) the largest size frying pan.)
- Add the chopped onion and cook until the onion is just starting to brown; then add the Italian Herb Blend and cook a few minutes more. Put the seasoned onions into a large soup pot.
- Add the chopped green peppers to the same frying pan and cook until they start to slightly char. Add peppers to the soup pot.
- Add the other 2 tsp. of oil to the frying pan, add the sausage that you squeezed out of the links and the ground beef, and cook over medium-high heat until the sausage and beef is slightly browned. You might have to cook the beef and sausage separately if you don’t have a big enough frying pan. Use your turner to break the ground beef and sausage apart as it cooks. (Or I sometimes use an old-fashioned potato masher (affiliate link) to break the meat apart.)
- Add the beef and sausage to the soup pot.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, water, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and low-sugar ketchup, bring the soup to a low simmer and let it cook 30-40 minutes.
- Then add the 2 cups of frozen (or fresh chopped) cauliflower rice and let the soup cook 20-30 minutes more, or slightly longer for fresh cauliflower. Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Serve hot, with fresh Parmesan to add at the table if desired.
I used 5 links of hot Italian sausage, but if making for kids I might choose milder sweet Italian sausage.
This soup will keep quite a few days in the fridge and also freezes well. For best results, reheat in a small pan on the stove.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 5g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 1359mg Carbohydrates: 9.7g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 8g Protein: 30g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
It’s important to use low-sugar ketchup (or at least natural ketchup without added sugar if you’re making this Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup for a low-carb diet or for the South Beach Diet. With that caution this should be good for low-carb and low-glycemic diets as well as any Phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. Or Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.