Roasted Summer Squash with Garlic and Parmesan
Roasted Summer Squash with Garlic and Parmesan is completely delicious with the roasted garlic, and this is an amazing way to cook summer squash!
Summer is winding down but for people who have vegetable gardens or get CSA vegetable deliveries, summer squash keeps showing up far into the fall. And that’s fine with me because so many of my favorite zucchini recipes are cooked in the oven. And it’s prime roasted zucchini season, so today I’m reminding you about this Roasted Summer Squash with Garlic and Parmesan for my Friday Favorites pick!
For this recipe, the addition of garlic (and of course Parmesan) really makes this a spectacular way to cook zucchini! If you haven’t tried roasted garlic, you’re going to love the way that roasting makes the garlic sweet and tender, and this recipe is all about the roasted garlic! And my niece Kara and I thought the addition of coarsely-grated Parmesan could only improve the recipe, and the roasted summer squash was definitely amazing with the garlic and parmesan.
Kara and I both decided we’d double the amount of garlic the next time we made it, so I’ll give you that option in the updated recipe. We used pre-peeled garlic cloves that came in a package, which made this quick to get into the oven and covering the baking sheet with foil made it easy to clean up. I seriously hope you’ll try this tasty idea if you’re still getting summer squash or buying them at the Farmers Market!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- medium or small zucchini or yellow summer squash
- large garlic cloves, peeled (We used peeled garlic which came in a package)
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate link
- coarsely-grated or freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
What if you don’t have yellow summer squash?
You can definitely make this recipe with all zucchini or all yellow summer squash, whichever you have on hand!
More Vegetables Roasted with Garlic:
If you’re a roasted garlic fan you might also like Roasted Broccoli with Garlic, Garlic-Roasted Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds, Roasted Asparagus with Garlic, or Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic.
Need more ideas for cooking zucchini?
How to Make Roasted Summer Squash with Garlic and Parmesan:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C. Cover a large baking sheet with foil.
- Wash the squash, cut off the ends, cut in half lengthwise (or not if your squash is small) and cut into slices about 3/4 inch thick.
- Peel garlic if needed, and cut some of the bigger cloves in half. (Next time I’d use at least double this amount of garlic!)
- Toss squash and garlic with the olive oil and Italian Herb Blend (affiliate link).
- Cover a large baking sheet with foil and spread the squash and garlic out on the baking sheet.
- Roast the squash and garlic about 20 minutes, or until it’s barely starting to soften and look cooked.
- Then sprinkle the coarsely grated Parmesan over the top of the squash pieces, put the baking sheet back into the oven, and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until cheese is all melted and starting to slightly brown.
- Season to taste with a little salt and some freshly-ground black pepper and serve hot, and be sure to peel off all the cheese that runs down and melts on the foil!
I bet if you have kids they’ll love eating that melted cheese, even if they aren’t big zucchini fans!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
Baked Chicken Nuggets use the same oven temperature and similar cooking time to this recipe, and this combination would make a delicious low-carb dinner! You could also serve it with Rosemary Mustard Grilled Chicken, Chicken Cutlets with Mustard Sauce, Maple Glazed Salmon, or Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken.
More Roasted Vegetables to Enjoy!
Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms with Everything Bagel Seasoning ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Zesty Roasted Okra ~ A Spicy Perspective
Roasted Cabbage with Lemon ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Onions in Parmesan Cream Wine Sauce ~ BellyFull
Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 medium or 8 small zucchini or yellow summer squash (see notes)
- 10 large garlic cloves, peeled (We used peeled garlic which came in a package, which was fine for this. Use more or less garlic to taste.))
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian Herb Blend
- 3/4 cup coarsely-grated or freshly-grated Parmesan cheese (more or less to taste)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F/230C. Cover a large baking sheet with foil.
- Wash the squash, cut off both ends, and cut each piece of squash in half lengthwise (or not if your squash is small.) Cut the squash into slices about 3/4 inch thick.
- Peel garlic if needed, and cut some of the bigger cloves in half. (Next time I'd definitely use the larger amount of garlic!)
- Toss squash and garlic with all the olive oil and then with the Italian Herb Blend (affiliate link), making sure all the squash pieces are lightly coated with oil.
- Spread the squash and garlic out on the baking sheet, making sure all the squash pieces are laying flat and the squash pieces are not touching each other more than necessary.
- Roast the squash and garlic pieces about 20 minutes, or until the squash is barely starting to soften and look cooked.
- Then sprinkle desired amount of coarsely grated Parmesan over the top of the squash pieces. Put the baking sheet back into the oven, and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until cheese is all melted and starting to slightly brown.
- Serve hot, and be sure to eat the melted cheese that drips down on to the foil.
Use a combination of green and yellow squash for a more colorful dish if you have both types. Any type of dried Italian Herb Blend (affiliate link) will work for this recipe.
This recipe originally created by Kalyn in 2006 (!) and updated and improved by Kalyn and Kara.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 407mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Summer Squash with Garlic and Parmesan would be great for low-carb or low-glycemic diet plans, including Keto. This would also be approved for any phase of the original South Beach Diet, although if you’re following the letter of the law for South Beach regarding fat you might want to use a more moderate amount of Parmesan cheese!
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes for more zucchini side dishes like this. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe for roasting zucchini and summer squash with garlic was first posted in 2006! It was updated with new photos and the addition of Parmesan Cheese in 2018, and was last updated with more information in 2022.