Zucchini Feta Bake with Thyme
Zucchini Feta Bake with Thyme is an amazing side dish that uses zucchini, yellow squash, eggs, Feta, sour cream, Parmesan, and thyme! And don’t you think that zucchini with Feta and thyme is such a perfect combination of flavors?
This low-carb Zucchini Feta Bake with Thyme is a recipe I came up with when I had a big surplus of zucchini from the garden, but the good news is that this recipe can easily be made with zucchini and yellow squash from the store or farmers market too.
And when you still have zucchini but the weather is getting colder, it’s time for baked zucchini recipes, right? So I am featuring this for Friday Favorites today to entice you to try it!
I consider this to be a vegetable side dish, but with the protein from a couple of eggs and the feta cheese, it could easily be a meatless main dish too. And a few years ago I realized this is one of the Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- yellow or green summer squash
- olive oil
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- fresh thyme leaves or Dried Thyme (affiliate link)
- sour cream
- crumbled Feta
- grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh lemon juice, I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
What other cheese can you use for the Zucchini Feta Bake?
If you’re not a fan of Feta you can make this dish with most any creamy white cheese like goat cheese, Cotija, Queso Blanco, or ricotta. Firmer white cheese that melt well will also work like Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or Gruyere.
Can you use other herbs for the Zucchini Feta Bake?
If you don’t have thyme or aren’t a fan, I think other herbs would work fine in this recipe, especially basil or parsley.
What Size Baking Dish Did I Use?
I originally made this Zucchini Feta Bake in a deep two-quart casserole dish, but I liked it a bit better in the 2-Quart glass rectangular casserole dish (affiliate link) I used in these photos. Having a dish with a little more surface area let more of the zucchini and yellow squash peek out, and I liked the way it browned on the top a little better.
Want more low-carb zucchini recipes?
You can check out the Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes for the ideas with zucchini that have been most popular on my blog!
How to make Zucchini Feta Bake with Thyme:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Trim the squash, cut in half lengthwise, then make half-moon slices about 1/4 inch thick. I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate link) with the 7mm blade, but you can easily cut it with a knife.
- Heat olive oil, add the Minced Garlic (affiliate link) and fresh or Dried Thyme (affiliate link) and cook about 45 seconds.
- Then add the squash and cook about 4 minutes, turning a few times.
- Put half of the partly-cooked squash into the casserole dish that you sprayed with non-stick spray and season with fresh-ground black pepper and a little salt.
- While squash cooks, break eggs into a bowl or a large measuring cup and beat until the yolks and whites are well combined. Stir in sour cream, Feta, Parmesan, and lemon juice.
- Spread half that mixture over the squash in the casserole dish, add the rest of the squash, season the second layer, and cover with the rest of the Feta mixture.
- Add optional crumbled Feta on top if using.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/ oven for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and slightly browned on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy! This will keep in the fridge for a few days, but like everything with zucchini it’s probably best freshly made.
Make it a Meal:
This Zucchini Feta Bake would taste great with something like Southwestern Pot Roast, Grilled Fusion Chicken, Chicken Cutlets with Mustard Sauce, Maple Glazed Salmon, or Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks for a low-carb meal.
More Ideas for Using Zucchini:
- 50 Amazing Zucchini Recipes
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- Low-Carb and Keto Grilled Zucchini Recipes
- Instant Pot Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- Recipes for Extra Large Zucchini
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 medium-sized yellow or green summer squash (see notes)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T minced garlic
- 2 T fresh thyme leaves or 1 T dried thyme (or less if you’re not that fond of thyme)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled Feta, plus a few tablespoon more for the top if desired
- 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 T lemon juice
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 2-Quart glass rectangular casserole dish (affiliate link) or any 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Wash and dry squash, then cut off stem and blossom end and discard.
- Cut squash lengthwise in half, then slice into half-moon slices about 1/4 inch thick. I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate link) with the 7mm blade to get nice even slices, but you can use a knife.)
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick frying pan, add garlic and thyme leaves and cook about 45 seconds over medium-high heat (just long enough to season the oil, don’t let the garlic brown.)
- Add squash slices and cook about 4 minutes, turning a few times. Squash should be barely starting to soften.
- While squash cooks, break eggs into a small bowl or glass measuring cup and beat until egg yolks and whites are combined.
- Stir in sour cream, Feta, Parmesan, and lemon juice.
- Layer half the squash in the dish, then season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. (Remember the Feta is salty, so it won’t need a lot of salt.)
- Pour over half the egg-feta mixture and use the back of a spoon or a rubber scraper to spread it over the squash.
- Repeat with another layer of squash, seasoning again and covering with the rest of the Feta-egg mixture.
- Sprinkle a few tablespoons of crumbled Feta over the top if desired.
- Bake at 375F/190C for 40-45 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbling, slightly set, and top if lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
You need about 8 cups of sliced summer squash or zucchini; use any mixture of colors you prefer.
This will keep in the fridge for a day or two, although it’s best freshly made. For best results, I recommend reheating in a toaster oven. Do not freeze.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Zucchini Feta Bake with Thyme would be great low-carb or Keto eating plans. It’s also good for the original South Beach Diet, which would recommend low-fat dairy products. Low-carb diet plans would prefer full-fat dairy, so take your choice on that.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes or Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one.Use the Diet Type Index photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe?
This recipe was first posted in 2009, and I’ve made it many, many times since then. The recipe was last updated with more information in 2023.