Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme
I love this delicious Low-Carb Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme, and this side dish with zucchini, yellow squash, eggs, Feta, sour cream, Parmesan, and thyme is one of the Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen!
I got the first zucchini from my garden a few days ago, which made me think about zucchini recipes! Last year my brother Rand I did a fun little week on the Kalyn’s Kitchen Facebook Page where we counted down the Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen. And although I always loved this Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme, truthfully I was definitely surprised when it turned out to be one of the top ten!
This low-carb Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme is a recipe I came up with when I had a big surplus of zucchini from the garden, but he good news is that this recipe can easily be made with zucchini and yellow squash from the store or farmers market too. I consider this to be a season-spanning vegetable side dish, but with the protein from a couple of eggs and the feta cheese, it could easily be a main dish too.
I originally made this in a deep two-quart casserole dish, but I think I liked it a bit better in the 2-Quart glass rectangular casserole dish I used this time. Having a dish with a little more surface area let more of the zucchini and yellow squash peek out, and I liked the way it browned on the top a little better. But no matter what dish you use or whether you have garden zucchini or buy them at the store, if you like these ingredients, please give this a try! It just might make your personal top ten list for zucchini this summer!
How to Make Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Trim the squash, cut in half lengthwise, then make half-moon slices about 1/4 inch thick. I used a Mandoline Slicer (affiliate link) with the 7mm blade, but you can easily cut it with a knife.
- Heat olive oil, add the minced garlic and fresh or dried thyme and cook about 45 seconds.
- Then add the squash and cook about 4 minutes, turning a few times.
- Put half of the partly-cooked squash into the casserole dish that you sprayed with non-stick spray and season with fresh-ground black pepper and a little salt.
- While squash cooks, break eggs into a bowl or a large measuring cup and beat until the yolks and whites are well combined. Stir in sour cream, Feta, Parmesan, and lemon juice.
- Spread half that mixture over the squash in the casserole dish, add the rest of the squash, season the second layer, and cover with the rest of the Feta mixture.
- Add optional crumbled Feta on top if using.
- Bake in a preheated 375F/ oven for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and slightly browned on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy! This will keep in the fridge for a few days, but like everything with zucchini it’s probably best freshly made.
Make it a Meal:
More Recipes Using Zucchini:
50 Amazing Zucchini Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Grain-Free Zucchini Ricotta Tart ~ All Day I Dream About Food
The Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cheesy Meatball Zucchini Skillet ~ Oh Sweet Basil
The BEST Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker from Scratch
Healthy Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles ~ Well Plated
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
You need about 8 cups of sliced summer squash or zucchini; use any mixture of colors you prefer. This will keep in the fridge for a day or two, although it’s best freshly made. For best results, I recommend reheating in a toaster oven. Do not freeze. This recipe created by Kalyn. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
You need about 8 cups of sliced summer squash or zucchini; use any mixture of colors you prefer. This will keep in the fridge for a day or two, although it’s best freshly made. For best results, I recommend reheating in a toaster oven. Do not freeze.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Zucchini Bake with Feta and Thyme would be great for any phase of the South Beach Diet, as well as low-carb or low-glycemic eating plans. South Beach would recommend low-fat dairy products, while other low-carb plans would prefer full-fat dairy, so take your choice on that.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Zucchini Recipes or Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one.Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Top Ten Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen! [found on kalynskitchen.com] #ZucchiniBake #ZucchiniwithFeta #BakedZucchiniRecipe” width=”600″ height=”1200″ class=”aligncenter size-full wp-image-74689″>