Marinate-All-Day Baked Parmesan Chicken
This Marinate-All-Day Baked Parmesan Chicken gets coated with whole wheat breadcrumbs and Parmesan after it marinates and then it’s and baked to perfection. Use Chicken Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
I’ve been working my way through the recipe archives, updating my earliest recipes with better photos and sometimes better instructions too. What I remember loving about this Marinate-All-Day Baked Parmesan Chicken is how the chicken is marinated in olive oil, garlic, and a little dried poultry seasoning all day before it’s coated with a little bit of whole wheat bread crumbs and Parmesan and baked.
I got this recipe from a blog that no longer exists, and when I made it again recently to take these photos, I still loved the way this chicken turned out. If you’re a South Beach Dieter or carb-conscious eater maybe the hardest thing about the recipe will be finding 100% whole wheat bread crumbs, but you can make your own bread crumbs from 100% whole wheat bread. This recipe doesn’t use many breadcrumbs and it’s pretty low in carbs, but if you want a version of this recipe that’s gluten-free and even lower in carbs, I’m guessing you could sub almond meal for the breadcrumbs with good results, but I haven’t tried that.
(Marinate-All-Day Baked Parmesan Chicken was updated with better photos September 2008.)
How to Make Marinate-All-Day Baked Parmesan Chicken:
(This is just a summary of the steps shown in the photos; scroll down for complete recipe.)
- Trim the chicken and make small slits crosswise on the chicken to help it cook more quickly.
- Then marinate in the fridge all day in olive oil, garlic, and poultry seasoning.
- When you’re ready to cook, let the chicken come to room temperature while the oven heats.
- Then dip each chicken piece in a mixture of 100% whole wheat bread crumbs (or almond meal) and parmesan cheese.
- My original instructions said to bake this 30-40 minutes, but when I made it recently I just baked it until the chicken felt firm (about 25 minutes), and then browned the top of the chicken under the broiler for a very few minutes.
- Don’t overcook or the chicken will be too dry.
Make it a Meal:
For a carb-conscious meal, this would taste great with something like Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms with Everything Bagel Seasoning or Roasted Broccoli with Garlic, which could cook along with the chicken in the oven.
More Tasty Recipes with Chicken:
Low-Carb Baked Chicken Nuggets with Mustard, Almond, and Parmesan from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Parmesan Chicken from Simply Recipes
Baked Chicken Stuffed with Pesto and Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. crushed garlic (see notes)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine crushed garlic, olive oil, and Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link) in small pan and heat 1 minute, until just warm.
- Trim all visible fat and membranes from chicken breasts, then make small crosswise slits about 1/2 inch apart down the length of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut too far into the chicken. (This helps the garlic and herb flavor penetrate the chicken more.)
- Put chicken into Ziploc bag, pour heated oil over, and marinate all day in refrigerator.
- To cook, take chicken out of refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for a few minutes while you preheat oven to 425.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan (pulse a few times in food processor if the mixture isn’t fine enough.)
- Place cheese/breadcrumb mixture in flat dish and dip each chicken breast into it, pressing on as much of the coating as you can.
- Place each chicken piece in casserole dish which has been sprayed with nonstick spray or olive oil.
- Bake until chicken is firm and cooked through, about 25 minutes, then put under the broiler to brown more if desired. (Original directions said to bake 30-40 minutes, but I wouldn’t cook it that long. Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breasts, but chicken should feel firm but not hard when it’s cooked.)
Garlic puree from a jar is perfect for this recipe. If you wanted a lower-carb version you can probably replace some or all the breadcrumbs with Almond Flour (affiliate link), but I haven't tried it that way. Recipe slightly adapted by Kalyn from a blog that no longer exists.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 6.1gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 42g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Marinate-All-Day Baked Parmesan Chicken would be phase two for the South Beach Diet, due to the bread crumbs, but you’re not using much breadcrumbs and you only eat the small amount that sticks to the chicken, so this is still a pretty carb-conscious dish. If you’d like to make this low-carb and gluten-free, replace the breadcrumbs with almond meal.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.