Low-Carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon (Video)
Low-Carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon is a perfect side dish for corned beef or any other kind of meat. And this roasted cabbage is amazing for a low-carb side dish, and it’s also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, Paleo and Whole 30! Use Cabbage Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Roasted Cabbage with Lemon!
I thought I had it pretty well covered with the corned beef recipes and cabbage recipes for St. Patrick’s Day! After all, I’ve already shared The BEST Low-Carb Corned Beef Recipes (which includes my Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and my Slow Cooker Corned Beef as well as lots of ideas for leftover corned beef. And then last week I updated my collection of Kalyn’s Top Ten Low-Carb Recipes with Cabbage so you’d have plenty of options while cabbage is so inexpensive. And of course this Low-Carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon is one that’s on my top ten list.
But then last week I cooked some corned beef and made this amazing Low-carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon to serve with it, and I decided I had to take new photos and feature this favorite recipe to see if I can encourage some of you cabbage-avoiders to try it. Of course I’m a cabbage lover, but this roasted cabbage with lemon and olive oil brushed on before it roasts is so amazingly delicious that I think most anyone who likes roasted veggies would love it. And if you forced me to choose my very favorite cabbage recipe, I think this would have to be it.
There is also one slight improvement to the recipe! On the advice e-mailed to me by a reader whose name I can no longer remember, I now keep the strip of core on each piece of cabbage, which makes turning it much easier. You can cut that away when you eat the wedge of cabbage, or if your cabbage is small and young the core might taste fine.
So if you’re cooking corned beef and cabbage this weekend I strongly encourage you to cook the cabbage using this method! And think about this tasty low-carb roasted cabbage with lemon any time you need an easy low-carb side dish to go with any kind of meat.
Start preheating oven, then cut one head of cabbage into 8 wedges, cutting through the core. (I used to trim the core but a reader shared that if you leave it on the wedges stay together better, and you can easily cut it off as you eat it.) Arrange cabbage pieces on a large baking sheet that you’ve sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray. Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Use a pastry brush to brush the top sides of the cabbage with the olive oil/lemon juice mixture and season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Turn carefully and repeat with the second side.
Roast cabbage 15 minutes, or until the side touching the pan is nicely browned, then turn each piece carefully. Then roast the cabbage 10-15 minutes more on the second side, or until it’s done to your liking.
Serve the cabbage hot, with extra lemon slices for people to squeeze on a bit more lemon juice if they’d like. This is a perfect side dish for a low-carb meal!
More Tasty Low-Carb Recipes for Cabbage:
Kalyn’s Top Ten Low-Carb Cabbage Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Napa Cabbage Cole Slaw Salad ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Low-Carb Stuffed Peppers with Beef, Sausage, and Cabbage ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lucy’s Skillet Cabbage ~ CopyKat Recipes
Vietnamese Cabbage Salad with Chicken and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spicy Cabbage ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Low-Carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon
Low-Carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon is a perfect side dish for corned beef or any other kind of meat dish.
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 2 T olive oil
- 2-3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (I like 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, but if you’re not a huge lemon fan you might want less.)
- generous amount of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- lemon slices, for serving cabbage (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450F/232C. Spray a roasting pan with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Cut the head of cabbage into 8 same-size wedges, cutting through the core and stem end. Arrange wedges in a single layer on the roasting pan.
- Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice (use the larger amount of lemon juice if you like a lot of lemon like I do.) Then use a pastry brush to brush the top sides of each cabbage wedge with the mixture and season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Turn cabbage wedges carefully, then brush the second side with the olive oil/lemon juice mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast cabbage for about 15 minutes, or until the side touching the pan is nicely browned.
- Then remove pan from oven turn each wedge carefully. Put back into oven and roast 10-15 minutes more, until the cabbage is nicely browned and cooked through with a bit of chewiness remaining.
- Serve hot, with additional lemon slices to squeeze lemon juice on at the table if desired.
This recipe adapted slightly from Roasted Cabbage with Lemon at Eat Repeat.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Not only is cabbage a wonderfully nutritious cruciferous vegetable, but it’s also one of the lowest carb vegetables around, making this a perfect side dish or vegetarian main dish for any low-carb eating plan, including Paleo and Keto, as well as any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.