Roasted Asparagus with Garlic
Roasted Asparagus with Garlic is an amazing and easy way to cook my favorite spring vegetable! When big fat spears of asparagus appear in the spring, it’s time to try roasting them with garlic. Use Asparagus Recipes for more tasty ideas for cooking asparagus.
If you’ve had roasted garlic, you can understand the appeal of this Roasted Asparagus with Garlic. There’s something very special about the flavor of garlic cloves that are quickly roasted with fresh asparagus, and in this recipe the asparagus marinates a couple of hours with the garlic and some olive oil to add a slight taste of garlic to the asparagus as well. We used a lot of garlic, so this may not be suitable for a romantic dinner; use the amount of garlic you prefer.
This favorite way to cook asparagus is similar to the recipes for Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic that so many Kalyn’s Kitchen readers have tried and loved. I used the big pre-peeled garlic cloves that come in a bag at Costco, but if I had to stand there and peel them, I might have used less. Maybe not though, because garlic is one of the World’s Healthiest Foods, and has many health benefits. This is perfect to make with thicker asparagus spears, and if you like asparagus and garlic I predict this is something you’ll want to make over and over!
(This is just a summary of the steps. See the complete recipe below to make Roasted Asparagus with Garlic.) Snap off the end of one piece of asparagus and then trim all the pieces to that size. Then cut asparagus in half again; I like to cut on the diagonal, but that’s up to you. Measure whole garlic cloves, using large cloves as much as possible, and cut the garlic cloves in half.
Put the asparagus pieces and garlic cloves into a Ziploc bag with olive oil and let the asparagus marinate with the garlic for about 2 hours. When it’s time to cook, preheat the oven to 450F/230C. Then quickly drain the asparagus and garlic, letting some olive oil remain for roasting.
Place asparagus and garlic on a large baking sheet. Roast about 15 minutes, or until asparagus is starting to slightly soften and garlic is barely starting to get some browned edges.
Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot.
Make it a Meal:
For a tasty low-carb meal you could serve Roasted Asparagus with Garlic with Greek Lemon Chicken (that cooks at the same temperature) or with something like Air Fryer Chicken Thighs or Grilled Lamb Chops.
More Amazing Asparagus Recipes to Try:
Chicken with Asparagus and Three Cheeses ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Asparagus with Manchego Cheese ~ The Perfect Pantry
Pan-Fried Asparagus Tips with Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Oven-Roasted Asparagus with Basalmic Browned Butter ~ The Food Charlatan
Barely-Cooked Asparagus with Lemon-Mustard Vinaigrette ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asparagus Mushroom Swiss Egg Bake ~ The Thirsty Feast
Easy Low-Carb Air Fryer Asparagus with Lemon and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Asparagus with Garlic
If you like asparagus and garlic, this recipe for Roasted Asparagus with Garlic brings out the delicious flavors in both these ingredients!
- 1 lb. thick asparagus spears
- 1/2 cup large whole peeled garlic cloves (use more or less garlic to taste)
- 3 T olive oil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Snap off the end of one piece of asparagus by holding in one half and bending until it snaps (to see where the woody part of the stem starts.) Then trim all the pieces of asparagus to that size.
- Then cut trimmed asparagus pieces in half again; I like to cut on the diagonal.
- Measure desired amount of whole garlic cloves, using large cloves as much as possible, and cut the garlic cloves in half. (If some garlic cloves are a lot smaller keep them whole so that all the pieces of garlic are roughly the same size.
- Put the asparagus pieces and garlic cloves into a Ziploc bag with the olive oil and let the asparagus marinate with the garlic for about 2 hours. (Marinating longer than that is fine too.)
- When it’s time to cook, preheat the oven to 450F/230C.
- Quickly drain the asparagus and garlic, letting some olive oil remain for roasting.
- Place asparagus and garlic on a large baking sheet, arranging so the ingredients are in a single layer as much as possible.
- Roast about 15 minutes, or until asparagus is starting to slightly soften and garlic is barely starting to get some browned edges. (Don’t let the garlic get too brown or it will start to taste bitter.)
- Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot.
This recipe adapted by Kalyn many years ago from Roasted Broccoli with Garlic at The Food Network.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Asparagus with Garlic is a great dish for low-carb diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.