Instant Pot Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup
I love the way cabbage gets meltingly tender in soup and this Instant Pot Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage soup is such a winner! If you prefer to use the slow cooker or make it on the stove, there’s a link for that version too! Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Tell the truth, are you just a tiny bit skeptical about the idea of cabbage in soup? I hope not, because when cabbage is cooked all day in the slow cooker or cooked under pressure in the Instant Pot it gets sweet and tender and almost seems to melt into the soup. This new recipe for delicious Instant Pot Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup is an updated pressure cooker version of the CrockPot (or Stovetop) Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup that has been popular on the blog.
And I hope no one thinks about The Cabbage Soup Diet when they’re eating this soup, but it’s definitely a healthy diet-friendly soup to make in your Instant Pot! I couldn’t resist using a few carrots for color, but this is still a very low-carb soup and you can certainly use less carrots if you prefer. The soup has lots of tender cabbage, juicy pieces of ham, onion, carrots, and red bell pepper, and there’s also a secret ingredient! (Don’t you love secret ingredients?)
Okay, it’s not really a secret, but if you can get your hands on some Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate (affiliate link), I highly recommend adding a couple of packets of that to the chicken stock you’re going to use as the base of the soup. That bumps up the flavor into the wow category! But even without that, this is a tasty and easy-to-make low-carb soup that will warm your tummy on a cold winter night. And this year I served it at my annual January soup party, and it was a hit; enjoy!
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot (affiliate link) for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
How to Make Instant Pot Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- First chop up 5-6 cups cabbage along with some onion, red bell pepper, chopped ham, and a few carrots if you’re using them.
- Put cabbage, onion, and red pepper in the Instant Pot, add the ham, carrots, bay leaves, and sprinkle the Spike Seasoning (affiliate link), granulated garlic, Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link), dried parsley and black pepper over the top. (Use any good all-purpose seasoning blend if you don’t have Spike or Beau Monde Seasoning.)
- If you have Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate (affiliate link) or another type of ham bouillon base, I recommend mixing a bit of it with the 6 cups vegetable stock.
- Pour that over the ingredients in the Instant Pot, lock the lid, set it to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, let the pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Serve hot, with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top if desired!
More Tasty Soups with Veggies:
Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes, Sausage, and Parmesan ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cabbage Roll Soup ~ Spend with Pennies
Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Italian White Bean, Cabbage, and Sausage Soup ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Lentil, Sausage, and Cabbage Soup with Balsamic Vinegar ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Kapusta Polish Cabbage Soup ~ A Family Feast
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Links in the recipe are affiliate links. This recipe adapted from CrockPot (or StoveTop) Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup which has been a hit on Kalyn's Kitchen!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 1550mgCarbohydrates: 8.5gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 26g
Links in the recipe are affiliate links.
This recipe adapted from CrockPot (or StoveTop) Low-Carb Ham and Cabbage Soup which has been a hit on Kalyn's Kitchen!
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This soup is great for any low-carb or low-glycemic diet plan, especially if you use a limited amount of carrots. Using carrots would make this phase two for the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.