Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast will always be a hit when you need some winter comfort food. This pot roast is also low-glycemic, dairy-free, gluten-free, South Beach Diet Phase One, and can easily be Paleo 30 if you use approved ingredients. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Yesterday we had the first snow of the year at my house, so besides thinking about Carb-Conscious Thanksgiving Recipes, I guess it’s also time to think about low-carb comfort food that helps keep you warm. This delicious Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast is a recipe that fits that description for me, and I’ve made this often since I first posted the recipe back in 2007. And although I really, really, really hate winter weather, I do love cold weather food!
I’m sure I don’t have to tell anyone that sticking to a carb-conscious eating plan is much more challenging during the holidays, and one thing that really helps me is to make recipes on the weekend that Can Freeze, divide the leftovers out into containers with one or two servings, and stash them in my diet friendly freezer so I have plenty of easy low-carb options when I need dinner but don’t want to cook. This Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast freezes beautifully, and I’ve already had the leftovers once for a quick dinner! Check out Weekend Food Prep for more recipes that are good to make ahead and eat later!
Trim the chuck steak so most visible fat is removed; you’ll probably have to cut it into pieces to do that. (I save the scraps to make beef stock.) Rub the pieces of meat with steak seasoning; then brown on all sides. (For best flavor, don’t skip this step of browning the meat.) Put the browned meat into the slow cooker.
While the meat browns, puree the sauce ingredients, then cook it in a frying pan until it thickens. It should be thick enough that you can scrape the bottom and the sauce stays together like you see in this photo. Cover the meat with the sauce and cook on low for 7-8 hours (or a little longer won’t hurt) or on high for 3-4 hours.
Serve hot, with extra sauce on the side. (And I love this with a little sour cream squeezed on top.)
More Slow Cooker Pot Roast to Try:
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Pot Roast from The Perfect Pantry
CrockPot Recipe for Southwestern Pot Roast from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Red Wine and Brandy from Tasty Eats at Home
Hungarian Pot Roast with Sour Cream-Paprika Gravy from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast will always be a hit when you need some winter comfort food.
- 3 – 4 lb. boneless chuck roast, trimmed well
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- steak rub, to season meat (I used homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning; use an approved seasoning for Paleo or Whole 30)
- black pepper, to season meat
- 1 T onion powder (or use 1/2 of an onion that’s finely chopped if you don’t mind a chunkier sauce)
- 1 T garlic powder (or use 2 T minced garlic if you don’t mind a chunkier sauce)
- 2 T ginger puree (in a jar, also called ground ginger)
- 2 T Stevia in the Raw granulated (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned vinegar which has sugar)
- 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes with juice (or use diced tomatoes if you don’t mind a chunkier sauce)
- 2 T soy sauce (or use coconut aminos for Paleo)
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste, optional
- Trim as much fat as you can from roast, and cut if necessary to fit into Crockpot. Rub meat well with steak seasoning and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and brown roast well on both sides. This will take a few minutes; don’t rush the browning step. Put browned roast into slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan while meat browns, combine onion powder, garlic powder, ginger puree, Stevia in the Raw granulated (or sweetener of your choice), rice vinegar, tomatoes, soy sauce, and anchovy paste (if using) in food processor. Process several minutes with steel blade until tomatoes are pureed and ingredients are well combined.
Put the pureed sauce into the frying pan where you browned the meat and simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens; you should be able to draw a spoon through it and have the sauce stay together like shown in the photo. Once it’s thickened to that point, pour sauce mixture over the meat in the slow cooker.
Cook on low 7-8 hours (or more) or on high for 3-4 hours, or until meat is very tender. (If I’m home I usually turn it a couple of times, but it’s not necessary.) Remove meat from slow cooker and keep warm. Skim off any visible fat from sauce mixture if needed, or use a fat separator. Slice the pieces of roast as needed and serve hot, with sauce spooned over meat.
I used a Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker for this recipe. The recipe Can Freeze, so if you only have a bigger slow cooker I’d double it and stockpile some in the freezer for quick dinners later. I used my homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning; use an approved seasoning for Paleo or Whole 30.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe would be phase one for the South Beach Diet, and also suitable for most other types of low-carb diet plans (even Paleo if you use an approved sweetener.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analzyer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.