Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast will be a hit any time you need some delicious low-carb comfort food. And this pot roast is perfect to serve with cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice to eat with the sweet and sour sauce!
Yesterday we had the first snow of the year at my house, so I guess it’s time to think about low-carb comfort food that helps keep you warm. This delicious Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast is a recipe that fits that description for me, and I’ve made this often since I first posted the recipe. And although I really, really, really hate winter weather, I do love cold weather food!
I’m sure I don’t have to tell anyone that sticking to a carb-conscious eating plan is much more challenging during the holidays, and one thing that really helps me is to make recipes on the weekend that Can Freeze, divide the leftovers out into containers with one or two servings, and stash them in my diet friendly freezer so I have plenty of easy low-carb options when I need dinner but don’t want to cook.
This Low-Carb Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast freezes beautifully, and I’ve already had the leftovers once for a quick dinner! Check out Weekend Food Prep for more recipes that are good to make ahead and eat later!
More Beef in the Slow Cooker:
If you’re a slow cooker fan, check out Low-Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Recipes with Beef to find more tasty beef recipes like this one.
How to Make Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pot Roast:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Trim the chuck steak so most visible fat is removed; you’ll probably have to cut it into pieces to do that. (I save the scraps to make beef stock.)
- Rub the pieces of meat with steak seasoning; then brown on all sides. (For best flavor, don’t skip this step of browning the meat.)
- Put the browned meat into the slow cooker.
- While the meat browns, puree the sauce ingredients, then cook it in a frying pan until it thickens.
- It should be thick enough that you can scrape the bottom and the sauce stays together like you see in the photo.
- Cover the meat with the sauce and cook on low for 7-8 hours (or a little longer won’t hurt) or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve hot, with extra sauce on the side.
- I love this with a little sour cream on top.
More Slow Cooker Pot Roast to Try:
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Pot Roast from The Perfect Pantry
Slow Cooker Southwestern Pot Roast from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Red Wine and Brandy from Tasty Eats at Home
Slow Cooker Hungarian Pot Roast from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 4 lb. boneless chuck roast, trimmed well
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- steak rub, to season meat (see notes)
- black pepper, to season meat
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 2 T ginger puree (see notes)
- 2 T sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (see notes)
- one 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste, optional
- Trim as much fat as you can from roast, and cut if necessary to fit into Crockpot. Rub meat well with steak seasoning and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and brown roast well on both sides. This will take a few minutes; don’t rush the browning step. Put browned roast into slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan while meat browns, combine onion powder, garlic powder, ginger puree, sweetener of your choice, rice vinegar, tomatoes, soy sauce, and anchovy paste (if using) in food processor. Process several minutes with steel blade until tomatoes are pureed and ingredients are well combined.
- Put the pureed sauce into the frying pan where you browned the meat and simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens; you should be able to draw a spoon through it and have the sauce stay together.
- Once it’s thickened to that point, pour sauce mixture over the meat in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 7-8 hours (or more) or on high for 3-4 hours, or until meat is very tender. (If I’m home I usually turn it a couple of times, but it’s not necessary.)
- Remove meat from slow cooker and keep warm. Skim off any visible fat from sauce mixture if needed, or use a fat separator (affiliate link).
- Slice the pieces of roast and serve hot, with sauce spooned over meat.
I used a Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe. The recipe Can Freeze, so if you only have a bigger slow cooker I’d double it and stockpile some in the freezer for quick dinners later.
I used my homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning; use an approved seasoning for Paleo or Whole 30. Ginger Puree comes in a jar and in a jar and is also called ground ginger. I originally made this with granulated Stevia but now I'd prefer Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link). Don't use Seasoned Rice Vinegar which contains sugar.
If you remove fat with a fat separator as described, fat content will be lower than shown in nutritional information.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 725Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 18gUnsaturated Fat: 23.4gCholesterol: 242mgSodium: 631mgCarbohydrates: 7.5gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 3.4gProtein: 73g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe would be phase one for the original South Beach Diet, and also suitable for other types of low-carb diet plans (and it’s Paleo if you use an approved sweetener.)
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Slow Cooker Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!