Vietnamese Cabbage Salad with Chicken and Cilantro
This Vietnamese Cabbage Salad is perfect to make with leftover chicken (or turkey), and I love the flavors in this spicy dressing! And this tasty salad is low-carb, low-glycemic, and gluten-free. Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Way back in 2007, Glenna from A Fridge Full of Food posted a recipe for Vietnamese Cole Slaw, and the minute I saw the recipe, I knew I’d be making some version of it. Glenna had a Vietnamese co-worker who told her that in Vietnam the dressing for this type of salad would never contain oil, and I love the light but highly flavored dressing in this Vietnamese Cabbage Salad with Chicken and Cilantro that includes fish sauce, rice vinegar, and lime juice.
Having a good quality fish sauce makes a big difference here, and I love Three Crabs Fish Sauce, which I learned about from Lydia’s post on fish sauce. Read that if you’ve never cooked with fish sauce before. Or if you want it to be gluten-free, Red Boat Fish Sauce is also wonderful. And don’t be put off by the smell, this stuff tastes amazing in small amounts.
And since I have a hard time walking by those rotisserie chickens at Costco without having one jump into my cart, I’m always looking for salads ideas to use the leftover chicken. With the light dressing, chicken, radishes, and crunchy cabbage, I think this saladis perfect for summer.
One thing I’m trying to do at my house is have salad fixings in the fridge ready for lunch (when I have a hard time stopping to make a meal) and everything about this salad (except maybe the chopped cilantro) could be prepped ahead and then tossed together when you’re ready to eat. This one is really a keeper; hope everyone will like it!
How to Make Vietnamese Cabbage Salad with Chicken and Cilantro:
(This is just a summary of the steps in the photos; scroll down for complete recipe.)
- Whisk together the hot sauce, garlic, sweetener of your choice, rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, and salt and pepper to taste to make the dressing.
- I use about one cup of diced chicken for each salad.
- The chicken and red onions get marinated in a small amount of dressing, which makes the onions a bit milder and infuses the chicken with flavor.
- Chop up the cabbage and cilantro and slice the radishes into half-moon slices.
- Toss the salad together with the desired amount of dressing and devour!
More Asian Cabbage Salads to Keep You Cool:
Spicy Asian Slaw with Napa Cabbage, Carrots, and Ginger Dressing ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Thai-Style Spicy Cabbage Slaw with Mint and Cilantro ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Quick and Easy Asian Pickled Cole Slaw~ The Perfect Pantry
Sandee’s Sensational Asian Salad with Chicken and Cabbage ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Vietnamese Cabbage Salad with Chicken and Cilantro
Vietnamese Cabbage Chicken Salad is perfect to use up leftover chicken, and the dressing has no oil!
- 3-4 drops hot sauce (see notes, use more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic puree or minced garlic
- 2 T sweetener of your choice
- 2 T rice vinegar (not sweetened)
- 3 T fresh lime juice (see notes)
- 2 T fish sauce (see notes)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings (or sliced green onions)
- 4-8 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1-2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Whisk together the hot sauce, garlic, sweetener, rice vinegar, lime juice, and fish sauce to make the dressing. (Fish sauce can vary greatly in strength, and if you’re not used to it I recommend starting with less and adding it until the dressing tastes good to you.
- Season dressing with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Dice the chicken and chop the red onion (or slice green onions; then put diced chicken and onion in plastic bowl and mix with a generous amount of dressing.
- Let marinate 15 minutes or longer while you chop the cabbage and cilantro and slice the radishes.
- When ready to serve, add the cabbage, radishes, and cilantro to the chicken/onion/dressing and toss, adding more dressing until the salad is as moist as you’d like it.
- Serve immediately.
- This dressing will keep in the fridge for at least a week, and this is a perfect salad to prep ahead and then mix together when you’re ready to eat it.
Recipe originally from Nigella Lawson, adapted by A Fridge Full of Food, with a more adaptations by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Made with an approved sweetener, this salad would be perfect for most low-carb diets or for any phase of The South Beach Diet. I’d probably eat this as a main-dish salad, but you could also serve with something like Spicy Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Salad with Thai Flavors or Spicy Grilled Eggplant with Red Pepper, Parsley, and Mint.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.