Roasted Cabbage with Lime and Sriracha
My love affair with cabbage continues with this Roasted Cabbage with Lime and Sriracha, and this is great for a low-carb side dish! Use the amount of spicy Sriracha Sauce and lime juice you prefer for this tasty dish.
I’ve been a cabbage fan for a long time, but I think the beginnings of my love affair with cabbage probably were stirred by a bacon and cabbage salad my mom used to make. I’d clean my plate when we had that for dinner, and not just because of the bacon either! As an adult I’ve continued to love cabbage both raw and cooked, not only for the flavor but also because it’s such an inexpensive, nutritious, and diet-friendly ingredient.
I’ve posted a lot of favorite recipes featuring cabbage through the years, and this Roasted Cabbage with Lime and Sriracha is definitely a riff on my Low-Carb Roasted Cabbage with Lemon, a recipe that’s been hugely popular on the blog. If you like lime and Sriracha Sauce, take a chance on this cabbage reco
- 1 medium-sized head of firm cabbage
- 2 T neutral-flavored oil (see notes)
- 2 T fresh squeezed lime juice (or slightly more if you really like lime, see notes)
- 2 tsp. Sriracha Sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. Vege-Sal (or slightly smaller amount of regular salt)
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or oil. (I used a small baking sheet, but if your cabbage is large you’ll need a full-size one.)
- Cut the cabbage into four same-size pieces and remove any outer leaves that are discolored or wilted.
- Then carefully cut each piece in half to make 8 same-size wedges, keeping the core attached. (Thanks to a reader named Fred who kept the core attached and trimmed it off after he cooked the cabbage. He reported this made it much easier to turn, so I am switching to Fred’s method!)
- Place each piece of cabbage on the baking sheet, arranging so the wedges are not touching each other.
- Whisk together the oil, lime juice, Sriracha Sauce (affiliate link), and Vege-Sal (affiliate link) or salt to make the glazing mixture; then brush the mixture over the cabbage with a pastry brush.
- Carefully turn each piece of cabbage over and brush the other side, reserving some liquid to brush again when you turn the cabbage after it’s roasted on one side.
- Roast in the center of the oven for 15-17 minutes, or until the edges of the cabbage are starting to get brown.
- Use a large turner to carefully turn the hot cabbage pieces, then brush again with the remaining lime-Sriracha-oil mixture.
- Roast for 15-17 minutes more, or until the second side is starting to brown.
- Remove from oven, place on serving dish, and sprinkle with sesame seeds if using.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
I’m happy I love cabbage, because it’s a wonderfully low-carb ingredient, and this Roasted Cabbage with Lime and Sriracha is suitable for low-carb or Keto diets, as well as for any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.