Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
My Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are tossed with a spice mix that has the perfect blend of flavors, and they’re easy to make in the Air Fryer. And these sweet potato fries are amazing with Sriracha Dipping Sauce or your favorite condiment.
Have you tried out the Air Fryer yet? This relatively new cooking gadget gives results similar to frying without having to cook the food in lots of oil. My sister Laurel is the one who told me about Air Fryers, and I mulled it over for a while before I bought one. Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries were the first thing I made in my new Air Fryer, and they were a winner! It’s the spicy seasoning mix I used that made my sweet potato fries so delicious, so please don’t even think about skipping that!
Sweet Potato fries never get as crisp as the ones made from white potatoes, but the sweet potato fries made in the Air Fryer are definitely a bit crisper than oven-baked sweet potato fries. It took us a couple of tries to get the timing and temperature right, and you need to be careful to turn the fries halfway through the cooking time (or the ones on the bottom will get too dark), but otherwise the hardest thing about making Air Fryer sweet potato fries is cutting up the sweet potatoes! And if you want to use those pre-cut sweet potato fries that show up this time of year, no judgement from me, but those will probably cook a bit faster.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- large sweet potatoes
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- sweet potato fry seasoning mix (below)
- Sriracha Dipping Sauce (optional but recommended
What do you need for the Sweet Potato Fry Seasoning Mix?
- ground coriander (affiliate link)
- ground fennel (affiliate link)
- Dried Oregano (affiliate link)
- Aleppo Pepper (affiliate link) (or use less red pepper flakes)
- kosher salt
What’s the difference between yams and sweet potatoes?
These fries are made with orange skinned sweet potatoes and not yams! Please consult Google if you don’t believe me about this!
Which Air Fryer Did I Use:
I first got this NuWave Air Fryer (affiliate link) and used it with good results to make Spicy Sweet Potato Fries; after I became an Air Fryer convert I splurged on this Cuisinart Convection Air Fryer Toaster Oven (affiliate link) which is the one I would use now.
What if you don’t have an Air Fryer?
I love the ease of making fried food in the air fryer, but if you’re not interested in another cooking gadget just make my Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries!
Want more ideas for Sweet Potatoes?
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut into thick slices, and then slice into fries. (There are photos of this in the recipe for Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries if you want more about how to cut them up.)
- Mix together the ground coriander, ground fennel, ground oregano, Aleppo pepper (or cayenne), and salt to make the spice blend.
- Toss the fries with 2 T olive oil and about 1 T of the spice mixture. (You can probably get by with a bit less oil, but I wanted to be sure the spice mixture would stick.)
- Pre-heat the Air Fryer to 350F (if needed) then add the fries and set cooking time for 27 minutes.
- Cook the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes without opening the Air Fryer.
- After 15 minutes, remove the basket from the air-fryer and use a large turner to quickly turn the fries (so the ones on the bottom are now on the top).
- Push the basket back into the Air Fryer and cook for 10-12 minutes more, or until fries are cooked through and golden brown.
- My Air Fryer will resume cooking for the programmed amount of time when you push the basket back in. For some models, you may need to set the time and/or push start again.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- If you like Sriracha, these are absolutely fantastic with Sriracha Dipping Sauce, but serve with your favorite condiment!
More Tasty Sweet Potatoes to Enjoy:
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes ~ Pressure Cooking Today
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Mushrooms ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pesto Hummus Sweet Potato Bites ~ Nutmeg Nanny
Sweet Potato Gratin ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 2 large sweet potatoes (see notes)
- 2 T olive oil (see notes)
- 2 T sweet potato fry seasoning mix
- Sriracha Dipping Sauce, optional but good!
Seasoning Mix Ingredients:
- 2 T ground coriander
- 1 T ground fennel
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 T Aleppo Pepper or a smaller amount of Cayenne
- 2 T kosher salt
- Cut off both ends of the sweet potatoes and peel with a sharp vegetable peeler. Then cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise and again crosswise so you have four pieces.
- Slice each piece into 2 or 3 thick slices, then cut each slice into fries. (I made them about 1/2 - 5/8 inches thick, or about 12 - 15 mm.)
- In mortar and pestle or spice grinder, grind together coriander, fennel, oregano, and Aleppo pepper (or cayenne). Mix in salt. (This makes enough for several batches of sweet potatoes, so you'll need a small jar to store the extra.)
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 350F while you put the cut fries in a bowl and toss with olive oil, and then with the seasoning mix.
- When the preheating is done, add fries to the basket of the Air Fryer, set time for 27 minutes, and push start. Cook the fries 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes pull out the basket and use a large turner to quickly turn the fries (so the ones that were on the bottom are now on the top).
- Shut the Air Fryer and let it cook 10-12 minutes longer, or until fries are cooked though and golden brown. (My Air Fryer will resume cooking for the programmed amount of time when you push the basket back in. For some models, you may need to set the time and/or push start again.)
- Serve hot, with Sriracha Dipping Sauce if desired.
We used about 1 1/2 lbs. total weight of sweet potatoes after peeling.
You can probably get away with less olive oil, but I wanted to be sure the seasoning mixture would stick well to the fries.
Recipe Created by Kalyn. Seasoning mix recipe from Epicurious.com.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 3800mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
These Air Fryer Spicy Sweet Potato Fries are South Beach Diet approved for phase 2 or 3, and they’re also vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free. Frying will raise the glycemic index of sweet potatoes compared to other cooking methods though, so you might want to reserve them for an occasional treat. Sweet potatoes are probably too high in carbs for most low-carb eating plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Air Fryer to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2017. It was updated with more information in 2021.