Southwestern Ranch Dip
I love to serve this Southwestern Ranch Dip with sweet mini-pepper scoops for a low-carb version of chips and dip that’s crunchy and tasty!
Years ago I went on a trip to Rhode Island to visit my friend Tia, and she served me a type of Southwestern Ranch Dip that I went crazy over. But when I got home I couldn’t find her dip in any stores in Utah, so I improvised on Grandma Denny’s Homemade Ranch Dip and came up with my own recipe for a ranch dip with Southwestern flavors.
This was in the very early days of the blog (before I entered the digital camera age!) so imagine my surprise recently when I discovered that recipe in the archives without a photo. Right away I made some Southwestern Ranch Dip, scooped it up with my favorite Sweet Mini-Peppers, and took a few photos to share. This another option for Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Appetizers, enjoy!
How to Make Southwestern Ranch Dip:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Peel the onion and grate a few teaspoons of onion and juice into a small bowl.
- Add grated onion, sour cream, mayo, dried dill weed, Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link), chipotle chile, Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning, and ground cumin to the food processor. (You can also whisk it together in a bowl if you don’t have a food processor.)
- Process until it’s mixed together completely.
- Chill the dip for an hour or two.
- When it’s time to eat, cut sweet mini-peppers in half, cut off stem end and scoop out the seeds.
- This Southwestern Ranch Dip would also be delicious with tortilla chips if you’re not watching your carbs!
More Tasty Dips to Scoop Up with Sweet Mini-Peppers:
Greek Yogurt and Tahini Dip ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Healthy Mediterranean 7-Layer Dip ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Easy Avocado Sauce~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Hot Chorizo Dip with Cream Cheese ~ White on Rice Couple
White Bean and Artichoke Dip ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tsp. grated onion
- 1 tsp. dried dill weed
- 1 tsp. Beau Monde seasoning
- small pinch ground Chipotle chile pepper (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Mini Peppers or other crunchy veggies for dipping
- Peel a small onion and on the small side of a hand grater, grate a few teaspoons of onion and juice into a small bowl. (Save the rest of the onion for another use.
- (If you just can’t manage grating an onion, use about 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, but the grated onion is really good in this.)
- In a food processor combine the sour cream, mayo, grated onion with juice, dried dill weed, Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link), ground Chipotle chile pepper (affiliate link), Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or any taco seasoning you have) and ground cumin.
- Process until the ingredients are mixed together well.
- Chill dip for several hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, cut sweet mini-peppers in half lengthwise, cut off the stem end, and scoop out the seeds.
- Serve dip with sweet mini-peppers, other veggies of your choice, or even tortilla chips if you’re not watching carbs.
If you don't have ground Chipotle chile pepper (affiliate link), use any chili powder you have.
Nutritional information is for dip only and is based on 1/4 cup serving size, which is probably a generous serving for most people!
Recipe created by Kalyn after she had Southwestern Ranch Dip at Tia’s house in Rhode Island.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 2.2gFiber: .2gSugar: 1.2gProtein: 1.1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you’re making this dip for the South Beach Diet, they would recommend using light sour cream and light mayo. If served with sweet-mini-peppers or other low-carb veggies, this should be suitable for any phase of South Beach. It’s also great for most other low-carb and low-glycemic diet plans, many of which would prefer full-fat sour cream and mayo.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Appetizer Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.