Southwestern Ranch Dip
I love to serve this Southwestern Ranch Dip with sweet mini-pepper scoops for a low-carb version of chips and dip that’s crunchy and tasty!
PIN the Southwestern Ranch Dip recipe to try it later!
Years ago I went on a trip to Rhode Island to visit my friend Tia, and she served me a type purchased Southwestern ranch dip that I went crazy over. But when I got home I couldn’t find her dip in any stores in Utah, so I improvised on Grandma Denny’s Homemade Ranch Dip and came up with my own recipe for a ranch dip with Southwestern flavors.
This was in the very early days of the blog and, and I’ve been making it ever since. And when I took the photos you see here, I made the Southwestern Ranch Dip, scooped it up with my favorite Sweet Mini-Peppers, and took a few photos to share.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- sour cream
- grated onion
- dried dill weed (affiliate link)
- Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link)
- ground Chipotle chile pepper (affiliate link)
- Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning or other taco seasoning blend
- ground cumin (affiliate link)
- Mini Peppers or other crunchy veggies for dipping
What gives this ranch dip the Southwestern flavors?
The ingredients that add Southwestern flavor in this recipe are ground Chipotle chile pepper (affiliate link), Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or your favorite purchased Taco Seasoning), and ground cumin (affiliate link). And if you like those kinds of flavors you’ll want to serve this dip in lots of different ways!
Want more Southwestern recipe ideas?
You might have noticed that I’m a big fan of Mexican and Southwestern food around here! If you also enjoy those flavors, you might like Cauliflower Rice Southwestern Stuffed Peppers, Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, Instant Pot Southwestern Pot Roast, Instant Pot Southwestern Beef Stew, or Southwestern Egg Skillet.
Want more low-carb appetizer recipes?
This recipe is featured in my collection of 50+ Low-Carb and Keto Appetizers, enjoy!
How to Make Southwestern Ranch Dip:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Peel the onion and grate a few teaspoons of onion and juice into a small bowl.
- Add grated onion, sour cream, mayo, dried dill weed (affiliate link), Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link), ground Chipotle chile pepper (affiliate link), Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning, and ground cumin (affiliate link) to the food processor.
- You can also whisk it together in a bowl if you don’t have a food processor, no worries!
- Process until it’s mixed together completely.
- Chill the dip for an hour or two.
- When it’s time to eat, cut sweet mini-peppers in half, cut off stem end and scoop out the seeds.
- The Southwestern Ranch Dip would also be delicious with tortilla chips of course, if you’re not watching your carbs!
More Tasty Dips to Scoop Up with Sweet Mini-Peppers:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Southwestern Ranch Dip
This Southwestern Ranch Dip is delicious with sweet mini-pepper scoops or most any kind of crunchy vegetable!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tsp. grated onion
- 1 tsp. dried dill weed
- 1 tsp. Beau Monde seasoning
- small pinch ground Chipotle chile pepper (see notes)
- 1 tsp. Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Mini Peppers or other crunchy veggies for dipping
- Peel a small onion and on the small side of a hand grater, grate a few teaspoons of onion and juice into a small bowl. (Save the rest of the onion for another use.
- (If you just can’t manage grating an onion, use about 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, but the grated onion is really good in this.)
- In a food processor combine the sour cream, mayo, grated onion with juice, dried dill weed, Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link), ground Chipotle chile pepper (affiliate link), Kalyn’s Taco Seasoning (or any taco seasoning you have) and ground cumin.
- Process until the ingredients are mixed together well.
- Chill dip for several hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, cut sweet mini-peppers in half lengthwise, cut off the stem end, and scoop out the seeds.
- Serve dip with sweet mini-peppers, other veggies of your choice, or even tortilla chips if you’re not watching carbs.
If you don't have ground Chipotle chile pepper (affiliate link), use any chili powder you have.
Nutritional information is for dip only and is based on 1/4 cup serving size, which is probably a generous serving for most people!
Recipe created by Kalyn after she had Southwestern Ranch Dip at Tia’s house in Rhode Island.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 2.2gFiber: .2gSugar: 1.2gProtein: 1.1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Southwestern Ranch Dip is great for low-carb diet plans, which would prefer full-fat sour cream and mayo. If you’re making this dip for the original South Beach Diet, they recommend light sour cream and light mayo. If served with sweet-mini-peppers or other low-carb veggies, this should be suitable for any phase of South Beach or any type of low-carb diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Appetizer Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2006! It was last updated with more information in 2022.
10 Comments on “Southwestern Ranch Dip”
I have been low carbing for two years, although if I get off it in the least the pounds do creep back up, but I feel at my best when living that way.
I have been in a bit of a rut as far as food goes though and this…of course your photography is amazing…just revved me up. I am going to a dinner party this weekend and though I have been assigned the salad, I am going to bring this along as well. They are serving Chili so it will go well.
Those peppers look so tasty!
Thanks Debbie, hope you enjoy it! I know how easy it is to get into a rut; I'm always on the search for new low-carb ideas that will feel like a treat.
The mini-pepper scoops are a fantastic idea–one that I'll be using often, I'm sure.
Thanks, so glad you like the idea. They're so nutritious and tasty too!
Dana, except for a few food mentioned in the book, portions aren't limited on South Beach. There are limited portions for a few high calorie density foods like nuts, avocados, and dried beans, but otherwise eat until you are full. For beans the recommended serving is 1/3 -1/2 cup portion so that means you could have about 1 cup of chili if it contains meat and vegetables with the beans.
I plan to start the diet tomm, and I am wondering if you eat snacks in between are you supposed to only have two snacks a day? And how much of the snack are you allowed? Ive read the book, but I dont really understand how much of your meals you are supposed to eat, If I make your bean soup how much of it will I will be allowed to have for dinner?
Sabrina, I'd like it on chicken fajitas. It's like a spicy version of ranch dip, so if that appeals to you, you'd like it.
Do u think this would be good on chicken Fajitas?
Taco seasoning is something I always keep in the pantry. I use it along with some chipotle powder when I make enchiladas and they come out wonderfully smokey and spicy.
I’m going to have to add this dip to my list of things to try.
Kalyn, this dip is delicious! You have inspired me to try the South Beach diet. I have 3 days to go in Phase 1, and I have lost 5 pounds. Yea!
Thank you for all of your great recipes, and for keeping this blog current. I check in almost daily to see what’s new. Thank you!