Sweet Potato Fries Spice Mix
I love to give spice blends for a holiday food gift, and this Sweet Potato Fries Spice Mix has been a hit with everyone I’ve given it to!
For years now I’ve been a fan of giving homemade or purchased spice blends as a holiday gift. And most people get far too many sweets at this time of year and my spice mixes have definitely been a hit with my family and friends.
And one of the spice blends where people have often requested the recipe is this Sweet Potato Fries Spice Mix. This will probably be a hit with everyone who enjoys slightly-spicy Sweet Potato Fries, and I’ve used it on CrockPot Sweet Potatoes too. Check the recipes below if you want just a small amount of the sweet potato fry spice mix, but this post has a recipe to make enough to give as a gift!
What ingredients do you need?
- ground coriander (affiliate link)
- ground fennel (affiliate link)
- Dried Oregano (affiliate link); use Greek Oregano (affiliate link) or Turkish oregano, but not Mexican oregano for this.
- Aleppo Pepper (affiliate link) (or use a smaller amount of cayenne pepper)
- Kosher Salt (affiliate link)
What if you don’t have Aleppo Pepper?
I highly recommend Aleppo Pepper for this recipe, but if you don’t have it you can substitute other hot pepper flakes. Aleppo Pepper is only slightly spicy so if you’re substituting a different red pepper flake I would start with a much smaller amount and taste until it seems spicy enough for you.
More Spice Mixes for a Holiday Gift:
Check out Spice Blends to Give for a Holiday Gift for lots more ideas for seasonal gifts when you don’t want to give sweets!
Recipes where you can use this Sweet Potato Fries Spice Mix:
- 10 T ground coriander
- 5 T ground fennel
- 5 T ground oregano (see notes)
- 1 T Aleppo Pepper
- 2 T kosher salt
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, grind together coriander, fennel, oregano, and Aleppo pepper. Mix in salt.
- Store in glass jars or in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
- I love to give this as holiday gifts, and sometimes just give it away in small Ziploc snack bags with the recipe stapled on!
Use Greek or Turkish Oregano or just Oregano for this blend, but don't use Mexican Oregano.
Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking.
Serving Size:1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 10Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 330mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.