Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Cheesy Curry Sauce (Video)
It took us a few tries to nail the recipe for this Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Cheesy Curry Sauce, but WOW, we were so happy with the final version! Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make
Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Cheesy Curry Sauce!
I’m so excited to share this recipe for Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Cheesy Curry Sauce, because I worked on it so many times with Kara to get a version we thought was a keeper. And when we finally got just the right combination of ingredients for a chicken and asparagus casserole that was creamy, cheesy, and had just the right amount of curry flavor without being watery in the bottom of the dish, we were so excited!
Thanks to Kara for encouraging me to try it just one more time on the same day (and for making a trip to the store to get ingredients again!) If you like chicken, asparagus, curry, and creamy-cheesy flavors, we think you’re going to love this recipe. And if you have leftover turkey, this recipe can definitely be made with that!
And the historical perspective on the recipe is interesting too. Way back on the archives on Kalyn’s Kitchen there’s a recipe for Chicken and Asparagus with Curry Sauce made with canned cream of chicken soup, which is an ingredient I haven’t really used much for years. For a long time I had thought about replacing that old recipe with a low-carb and Keto version.
But even though I now would greatly prefer this new recipe for Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Cheesy Curry Sauce, I remember how much I liked the old version back in the day. And I am all about choice, so no judgement from me if people like a recipe with canned soup, and the old version does have quite a few fans.
So I decided to leave the old recipe back in 2006 (!) and link them together so people can take their choice on which one they’d prefer to make. And when I pulled a can of soup out of the cupboard to check the carbs so I could talk about it accurately in the old recipe, my soup had been out-of-date for more than 5 years, so definitely the version you see here is the one I’d be making now! If you do click through to see the old version though, you might be surprised or amused to see how simple blog recipes were back in those days!
How to Make Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Cheesy Curry Sauce:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Trim 4 large bone-less skinless chicken breasts and cut each into three lengthwise strips.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick pan, add the chicken, season with poultry seasoning (affiliate link) and a little salt and pepper, and cook until the chicken is lightly browned on each side.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board to cool; then cut into chunks and transfer to a bowl.
- While chicken cooks, cut the cream cheese into cubes and let it soften on the counter, and measure the lemon juice, curry powder, sour cream, mayo, and Mozzarella cheese.
- Cut asparagus into 2 inch pieces. After you’ve removed the chicken, add 1 tsp. more olive oil to the pan, add the asparagus, and cook barely 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat. Put the asparagus into the bowl with the chicken.
- Add chicken stock to the pan and cook over medium heat, scraping the bottom to get any browned bits. Let the stock cook down for a couple of minutes, then whisk the lemon juice and curry power into the stock, turn heat to medium low, and add cream cheese.
- Whisk as the cream cheese melts, and when it’s mostly melted add the mayo and sour cream and whisk until the sauce is smooth.
- Gently stir the asparagus and cubes of chicken to combine in the bowl, then mix in the sauce and 1 cup cheese and gently stir again.
- Put the chicken-asparagus mixture into a sprayed casserole dish and top with the other cup of grated cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and starting to brown on top.
Serve hot and enjoy! And you might have some leftovers to eat for another meal.
Make it a Meal:
A simple salad like Kalyn’s Favorite Baby Arugula Salad or Tomato, Cucumber, and Radish Salad would be perfect on the side to make this Low-Carb Chicken and Asparagus Bake with Creamy Cheesy Curry Sauce for a low-carb dinner. You could also serve this with The BEST Easy Cauliflower Rice to eat with the extra sauce.
More Low-Carb Ideas for Asparagus:
Low-Carb Sheet Pan Meals with Asparagus ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lemon Pepper Chicken with Artichokes, Mushrooms, and Asparagus ~ Aggie’s Kitchen
Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms with Everything Bagel Seasoning ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spring Lettuce Salad with Roasted Asparagus ~ Recipe Girl
Asparagus and Tomato Frittata with Havarti and Dill ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Asiago Asparagus ~ Real Housemoms
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 13g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 116mg Sodium: 504mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 29g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This is a good main dish for any low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic diet plan. It’s too high in fat to be approved for the South Beach Diet, but you could make a version that would be pretty South Beach Diet friendly by substituting reduced fat cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, and mayo. Even with those changes, it might be a “once-in-a-while treat” for the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.