Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce (Video)
Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce is an easy and amazing dinner idea that’s quick enough to make on a week night! And this recipe is also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free (with gluten-free soy sauce), and South Beach Diet friendly. Use Chicken Recipes to find more dinners like this one.
Watch the Video to see if you might like to make
Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce!
April is the month when I start going crazy with Asparagus Recipes and today I want to remind you about this Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce! I updated these photos a few years ago and recently I remembered how amazing this is for another quick low-carb chicken dinner idea! Trust me, this is so, so tasty!
And this recipe is as quick and easy as it is delicious. Start roasting the asparagus while you brown the large chicken breasts. Put the chicken on the sheet pan with the asparagus to finish cooking in the oven while you whisk together the sauce. (You can use creamy peanut butter if you don’t have tahini.) Slice chicken and arrange on a plate with the roasted asparagus, drizzle some sauce over, and dinner is on the table. If you like asparagus and middle eastern flavors, this quick dinner with chicken, roasted asparagus, and tahini sauce might become one of your new go-to dinners!
Some people might not be familiar with Tahini, which is a paste made from crushed sesame seeds. It’s a common ingredient in hummus, baba ghanoush, and many sauces, and is used as a condiment on meat and vegetables in all parts of the middle east. The tahini adds amazing flavor to the sauce, especially if you use the Soom Tahini that I’m so fond of, but if you don’t want to buy Tahini for one recipe you can definitely make this recipe with creamy natural peanut butter instead for a slightly difference sauce that will still be delicious.
(This is just a summary of the steps. See the complete recipe below.) Preheat oven to 450F/230C. Trim asparagus and cut on the diagonal. Rub chicken with poultry seasoning. Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet.
Put asparagus in the oven at the same time as you heat some olive oil in a non-stick pan and start browning the chicken over medium-high heat, top side down. When the first side is brown, turn chicken over and cook on the second side. Put chicken on the pan with the asparagus and let it continue to roast.
While that cooks whisk together the Tahini (or peanut butter), water, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, granulated Monkfruit sweetener (or sweetener of your choice), garlic puree, and soy sauce to make the sauce. Cook asparagus about 10 minutes longer after you add the chicken to the sheet pan. When asparagus is done to your liking, use an instant read meat thermometer to be sure the chicken has reached a temperature of 165F/75C. (The temperature will go up as you let chicken rest a few minutes.) Cut chicken into thick slices, arrange on a plate with asparagus, and drizzle some sauce over.
Serve hot, with additional sauce to add at the table if desired.
Make it a Meal:
Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus and Tahini sauce might be a complete meal for many people. But if you wanted to add a salad on the side, this would taste great with Kalyn’s Favorite Baby Arugula Salad.
More Asparagus to Celebrate Spring:
20 Favorite Low-Carb Asparagus Recipes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
The Perfect Pantry’s 101 Favorite Asparagus Recipes ~ The Perfect Pantry
Low-Carb Sheet Pan Meals with Asparagus ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
30 Amazing Asparagus Recipes ~ A Family Feast
The Best Easy Gluten-Free Asparagus Recipes~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Chicken and Asparagus with Three Cheeses ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce
Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce is an easy and amazing dinner.
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 T + 2 tsp.olive oil
- small amount of salt and pepper, to season asparagus
- 2 very large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (We used chicken breasts that were nearly 10 oz. but if you don’t find any that large just use three or even four smaller ones. Cooking time will be a little less if the chicken breasts are smaller.)
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning, for rubbing chicken
- 1/4 cup well-stirred Tahini (see notes)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup water
- 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (see notes)
- 1 T granulated Monkfruit sweetener or other sweetener of your choice. (I find Monkfruit slightly less sweet than other sweeteners so maybe start with 2 tsp. and taste it if you’re using a different sweetener.)
- 1 tsp. garlic puree (sold in a jar, also called ground garlic)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if needed)
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Make sure asparagus is washed if needed, then break one piece to see where the woody stalk starts.
- Cut each piece off at that point and discard ends, then cut asparagus on the diagonal in two inch pieces.
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breast, then rub chicken on both sides with poultry seasoning.
- Toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and arrange on roasting pan.
- Put asparagus into oven at the same time you start browning chicken.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in heavy pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, and brown about 4 minutes on first side, until nicely brown, then turn chicken and cook 2-3 minutes on second side.
- Put chicken on the sheet pan with the asparagus and let chicken and asparagus roast about 10 minutes longer, or until asparagus is done to your liking and the chicken has reached 165F/75 C on an instant read meat thermometer.
- If you don’t have a meat thermometer, the chicken should feel firm, but not hard, to the touch when you press down with your fingers.
- While chicken and asparagus finish roasting, whisk together the Tahini (or peanut butter), water, lemon juice, granulated Monkfruit sweetener or sweetener of your choice, garlic, and soy sauce. (If the Tahini was extra thick you could use the small bowl of an immersion blender to buzz this together.)
- Start with 1/4 cup water, then check the thickness and taste to see if you want to add a bit more water.
- When asparagus and chicken are done, remove from oven.
- Let chicken rest 2-3 minutes on the cutting board, then cut crosswise into thick slices.
- Serve Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini with a small amount of sauce drizzled over, with any extra sauce served on the side.
I adore Soom Tahini, but any Tahini will work in this recipe or you can even use smooth natural peanut butter if you don’t want to buy Tahini.
I use my fresh-frozen lemon juice.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.com, with ingredients and preparation method adjusted by Kalyn to be lower in carbs.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Chicken and Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce is a good dinner idea for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.