Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake (Video)
Try this Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake when you need some delicious low-carb comfort food that the whole family is going to love!
This Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake is for everyone who’s craving something that tastes like comfort food. And although nothing might be quite as comforting as real pepperoni pizza, this chicken with pizza flavors is completely delicious and definitely scratches that pizza itch with something that’s also very low in carbs.
When the idea of making a recipe for thin pieces of chicken topped with pizza sauce and pepperoni popped into my head, I tested the recipe a couple of times with my nephew Jake to get it just right for you. The first time we didn’t reduce the pizza sauce and the sauce was too watery. We also tried it with turkey pepperoni, which was fine if that’s what you prefer, but this recipe doesn’t take a lot of pepperoni and the full-fat pepperoni definitely crisped up a lot better.
And every time we tested it we happily gobbled it up, and it’s turned into a popular recipe that I’m featuring for Friday Favorites this week; I hope you’ll put this on your menu soon!
What Ingredients do you need?
- Rao’s Pizza Sauce (affiliate link)
- large boneless-skinless chicken breasts (at least 8 oz. each)
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Greek Oregano (affiliate link)
- Garlic Powder (affiliate link)
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- sliced pepperoni (regular or turkey pepperoni)
What sauce should you use for low-carb pizza?
I’ve been pleasantly surprised to find a couple of brands of pizza sauce that are pretty low in carbs, but I use Rao’s Pizza Sauce (affiliate link) which has only 3 carbs in 1/4 cup.
What is Greek Oregano?
Greek Oregano may also just be called oregano; any mediterranean oregano will work but don’t use Mexican oregano for this recipe.
Want lots more ideas for low-carb pizza?
If you’re really craving pizza, check out my HUGE collection of Low-Carb Pizza Recipes for more pizza or pizza-flavored dishes! Those recipes are almost all Keto and gluten-free as well.
How to Make Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Don’t skip the step of simmering the sauce on low until it’s reduced to one cup.
- Trim chicken well, cut each breast in half, and then pound until they’re as thin as you can get with out the chicken shredding apart. (I use a meat mallet (affiliate link) but anything heavy will work.
- Season chicken with oregano-garlic powder mix, and then quickly brown the chicken on both sides. (It won’t be cooked through.)
- Layer the chicken pieces in a glass casserole dish that’s barely big enough to fit the chicken.
- Spread each piece with a generous amount of the reduced sauce.
- Put a thin slice of Mozzarella and few slices of pepperoni on each chicken breast.
- Bake at 400F/200C for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to slightly brown.
- Serve hot and wait for compliments.
- If you’re reheating leftovers, I recommend you cover the dish to keep the chicken from drying out.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
If you want a side dish this will taste amazing with Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts or make something simple like Air Fryer Roasted Mushrooms.
More Low-Carb Recipes with Pizza Flavors:
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 jar (14 oz) low-sugar pizza sauce, reduced to 1 cup (See note about pizza sauce)
- 4 very large boneless-skinless chicken breasts (at least 8 oz. each)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. Greek oregano (sometimes just called oregano)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 6 oz. piece of Mozzarella, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 oz. sliced pepperoni (regular or turkey pepperoni)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Put the pizza sauce in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat until it's reduced to one cup, about 20 minutes. Don't skip this step or the dish will be watery.
- While the sauce reduces, trim the chicken breasts and cut each one crosswise to make two same-size pieces. Put chicken pieces one at a time inside a heavy plastic bag and use a meat mallet (affiliate link) (or something heavy) to pound the chicken until it's as thin as you can get it without it shredding apart. (Don't worry if some pieces break apart a little.)
- Mix the Greek Oregano (affiliate link) and garlic powder in a little bowl and then sprinkle both sides of each piece of chicken with the mixture.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in the largest non-stick frying pan you have (you may have to do this in 2 batches if your pan isn't big enough.) Add the chicken pieces and cook 1-2 minutes on each side, just long enough to brown the chicken but not long enough to cook it through.
- Choose the smallest glass casserole dish you have that will fit all the browned chicken pieces, and lay the chicken in the dish in a single layer. Cut the Mozzarella into slices and cut the slices as needed to make enough pieces to mostly cover the top of each piece of chicken.
- By now the sauce should be nicely reduced, so spread sauce over the top of each chicken breast. (Use it all.) Top each piece with sliced Mozzarella and pepperoni slices, covering the top of each piece of chicken as much as you can.
- Bake uncovered about 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown and the pepperoni is slightly crisped. (Some pieces of pepperoni will slice off the chicken, try not to obsess about that like I did.) Serve hot.
- This was great reheated in the microwave for a few minutes, although you might not have any left!
Use the lowest-carb pizza sauce you can find or make your own pizza sauce to keep the carbs low for this recipe.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 317mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 25g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations. (I'm not sure why the carb count is coming out quite so low on this recipe.)
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake with full-fat cheese and pepperoni should be great for traditional low-carb and Keto eating plans if you’re careful to choose low-carb pizza sauce (or make your own). You could use skim-milk Mozzarella and turkey pepperoni for the original South Beach Diet or another low-glycemic diet. We definitely liked it best with full-fat pepperoni, but quite a bit of the fat is left in the dish.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2017 and it’s been hugely popular on the site. It was last updated with more information in 2021.