Kalyn’s Favorite Baby Arugula Salad with Lemon, Balsamic, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts
For arugula lovers like me, this Baby Arugula Salad with Lemon, Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts is always a treat! Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
We started out the week with Low-Carb No Bake Cherry Cheesecake Dessert, so I figured it might be a good idea to get some healthy greens in for the next post. And this Baby Arugula Salad with Lemon, Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts really was overdue for a photo makeover.
This is a recipe I came up with when I noticed salads with baby arugula, lemon, and Parmesan showing up on the menu at several of my favorite restaurants. I’m a huge fan of arugula, so I happily sampled the various arugula salads everywhere I saw one. Then I decided to try to actually write down a recipe for my take on the perfect combination of ingredients for an arugula salad.
It took a little experimenting to create the Baby Arugula Salad with Lemon, Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts that made my tastebuds so, so happy, but this salad (with just a touch of white balsamic vinegar added to the lemony dressing) is the arugula salad I would eagerly eat over and over. Sometimes I’ll bring home one of those 5 oz. tubs of baby arugula, make this salad for lunch, eat half, and eat the leftovers with my dinner, it’s that good!
As much as I love it, I do admit this is not a particularly budget-friendly dish. I try not to be an ingredients snob, but this is one recipe where using the best quality ingredients really does make a tremendous difference.
Organic baby arugula may be a bit more expensive, but it has the best flavor, and I’d also use the highest quality extra virgin olive oil and Parmesan cheese I could find. I season the dressing with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, not just regular salt and pepper. If you need to save money on one ingredient here, I think toasted slivered almonds would be a tasty replacement for the pine nuts for a less expensive variation.
How to Make Kalyn’s Favorite Baby Arugula Salad:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Toast the pine nuts (or slivered almonds) in a dry pan, just until you start to see some color.
- Mix together the white balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Whisk in 3 T of extra virgin olive oil, then taste to see if you want more oil.
- Season the dressing to taste with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Please use freshly grated Parmesan cheese, the highest quality of Parmesan you can afford.
- Most arugula doesn’t need to be washed, but wash or refresh by soaking in cold water in a salad spinner (affiliate link) if needed.
- Toss the arugula with just enough dressing to coat the greens.
- Then toss in the grated Parmesan and mix.
- Add most of the pine nuts and toss again. (I save a few pine nuts to sprinkle over each salad.)
- And that’s all there is to making this amazing salad combination that I absolutely never get tired of; enjoy!
More Dark Leafy Greens Salads You Might Enjoy:
Baby Arugula Chopped Salad with Chicken, Fresh Mozzarella, and Tomatoes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Strawberry and Goat Cheese Green Salad with Maple Vinaigrette ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Thanksgiving Spinach Salad with Dried Cranberries, Almonds, and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spinach Salad with Glazed Beets and Blue Cheese from The Perfect Pantry
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Almonds and Dill from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice (I use my fresh-frozen lemon juice)
- 1 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 3 – 4 T extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 10 oz. organic baby arugula
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated best-quality Parmesan cheese (such as Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (or slivered almonds)
- Put pine nuts (or almonds) into a dry pan and toast over high heat until they are just starting to color and become fragrant, watching very carefully so they don’t burn.
- Mix together the lemon juice (I use my fresh-frozen lemon juice) and balsamic vinegar; then whisk in 3 T of extra-virgin olive oil, one tablespoon at a time.
- Taste the dressing to see if you want to add a little more oil and if so, whisk it in.
- Season the dressing with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grate the parmesan cheese (such as Parmigiano Reggiano), using medium or large side of the grater.
- Wash baby arugula if needed and spin dry or dry with paper towels. It usually comes pre-washed but if it's wilted I would soak in cold water in a salad spinner (affiliate link).
- Put arugula in a large bowl and toss with just enough dressing to coat all the leaves. (You may not need all the dressing.)
- Add the coarsely grated Parmesan and toss a few times to combine, then add about 3/4 of the toasted pine nuts (or almonds) and toss again.
- Put salad into individual serving dishes and top each one with a few more toasted nuts.
Recipe created by Kalyn, inspired by many beloved arugula and lemon salads she sampled in restaurants!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 542 Total Fat: 54g Saturated Fat: 10g Unsaturated Fat: 41g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 617mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 10g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Arugula is one of the nutrient dense leafy greens we all should eat plenty of and this Baby Arugula Salad with Lemon, Balsamic Vinegar, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts should be great for low-carb and low-glycemic eating plans, including any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.