Market Street Grill Cucumber Dill Sauce
Market Street Grill Cucumber Dill Sauce keeps people coming back to this much-loved restaurant in Salt Lake, and I love this sauce on fish. And if you have cucumbers, this is a must make summer sauce recipe!
When I had a big garden, every summer I’d get fixated on one particular herb, and one year I was completely fixated on dill. All summer long, as soon as my dill plants would sprout out a few feathery leaves, I snip them and make another dill-flavored recipe. And one amazing recipe I made with dill was this creamy cucumber-dill sauce that’s served at one of the best seafood restaurants in Utah.
People who’ve eaten at Market Street Grill in Salt Lake know that this Cucumber-Dill Sauce for Fish is one thing that keeps customers coming back. The one time when I visited Market Street Grill Restaurant recently I saw they were giving out the sauce recipe. Then I met the owners of the restaurant and they gave me permission to publish the recipe on my blog!
No matter what kind of fish I order at Market Street Grill, I always ask for extra sauce, and I love so many different types of fish eaten with this cucumber-dill sauce! I tried the famous Market Street Grill sauce out on my dad, step-mother, and sister, and they all thought it was great.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- sour cream
- chopped fresh dill or dried dill weed (affiliate link)
- black pepper
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice, I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice
Can you make the cucumber dill sauce if you don’t have fresh dill?
I’ve made the cucumber-dill sauce with fresh dill as well as with the dried variety, which is called dill weed, and it’s good with both although the fresh dill is better if you have some! Dill is fairly easy to grow and can be planted in the fall for early dill next spring. And if you neglect your dill plant a little at the end of the garden season, it will happily drop enough seeds to guarantee a good supply of dill the following summer.
How is the Cucumber Dill Sauce different from Tzatziki Sauce?
Dill is commonly used with yogurt in sauces and salad dressings, and my site does have a great recipe for Tzatziki Sauce, but this sauce is a bit different from that. This recipe pairs the dill with equal parts of sour cream and mayo for a creamier sauce.
Want fish recipes to serve with the Cucumber-Dill Sauce?
At Market Street Grill this sauce is served with salmon, halibut, scallops, and fish and chips, but it would be good with most any type of seafood. Use Low-Carb and Keto Baked Fish Recipes or Seafood Recipes to find a variety of fish recipes to serve with this tasty sauce.
What else can you eat with the Cucumber Dill Sauce?
When I was testing out this recipe I discovered this sauce is also delicious on Grilled Zucchini or Grilled Eggplant. And I’d probably eat it on grilled chicken breasts, grilled kabobs, or any type of grilled vegetables.
Tips for making Market Street Grill Cucumber Dill Sauce:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Peel cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise.
- Scrape out seeds with a spoon, unless your cucumbers are really small.
- Cut cucumbers into chunks, then place in food processor and puree.
- Drain cucumbers in a fine-mesh colander, then press down with your hands to squeeze out as much water as you can.
- In a plastic bowl with a tight-fitting lid, mix together sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Stir in pureed cucumbers, dill (or a smaller amount or dried dill weed), salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
More Delicious Things I’ve Made With Dill:
- Double-Dill Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Salmon Salad with Dill
- How to Make Tzatziki Sauce
- Melon Pineapple Fruit Salad with Dill
- Baked Halibut with Sour Cream, Parmesan, and Dill Topping
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 T chopped fresh dill (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 T fresh lemon juice (see notes)
- Small fresh garden cucumbers are best for this sauce, but it's pretty good just made with cucumbers from the grocery story.
- Peel cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise, and scrape out seeds with a sharp spoon. (If you have very small cucumbers without noticeable seeds, you probably can skip this step.)
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise, then slice into chunks about 1 inch square.
- Place cucumbers in food processor and puree with the steel blade until they're very finely chopped.
- Drain cucumbers in a fine-mesh colander, then press down with your hands to squeeze out as much water as you can. If your cucumbers seem extra juicy, you can put the chopped cucumbers in a square of cheesecloth and twist the end to squeeze out the liquid.
- Use a plastic bowl with a tight-fitting lid that's big enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Mix together sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Stir in pureed cucumbers, dill, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
If you don't have fresh dill use 2 tsp. dried dill weed.
I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice.
Nutritional information is based on 1/4 cup serving size, which is probably a generous serving for most people.
This recipe courtesy Market Street Grill Restaurant in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The Market Street Grill Cucumber Dill Sauce is a great dish for low-carb or Keto diet plans, and for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. South Beach would prefer light sour cream and mayo, while other low-carb diets would prefer full-fat.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Sauces for more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
Market Street Grill Cucumber-Dill Sauce for Fish was first posted in 2008 after I met the owners of the restaurant and they shared the recipe with me! The sauce is still popular at the restaurant to this day. The post was last updated with more information in 2023.