How to Grill Zucchini That’s Perfect Every Time!
This post can teach you How to Grill Zucchini That’s Perfect Every Time and perfect grilled zucchini is something I make as a side dish all summer long. Use Grilling Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
For most of my life I was kind of lukewarm about zucchini. It wasn’t until I discovered how great grilled zucchini can taste (and my mom started making creamed” zucchini) that I really started appreciating the zucchini that spring up overnight in the garden.
This method for How to Grill Zucchini That’s Perfect Every Time is a recipe you should use in the summer when the zucchini are fresh from the garden or farmer’s market. Since you want rather thick slices of zucchini, it’s the perfect way to cook those that miss getting picked and get a bit too large.
Zucchini can be easily cooked on a stove-top grill pan with ridges (affiliate link) if you don’t have an outside grill. The same type of preparation is also good on yellow summer squash or eggplant. Once you’ve tried it, I promise this way of cooking zucchini will become a part of your regular summer rotation for the grill. (If you’re making this recipe to be Paleo, Vegan, or Gluten-Free, be sure to choose a salad dressing that works with that eating plan.)
(How to Grill Zucchini That’s Perfect Every Time was updated with better photos, June 2016. Perfect Grilled Zucchini is one of the Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen,)
How to Grill Zucchini That’s Perfect Every Time:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- I like to use a mandoline (affiliate link) to slice the zucchini on the diagonal for more surface area on the grill.
- Mix together your favorite low-sugar vinaigrette, garlic powder, and a few teaspoons of dried Italian herbs like basil, oregano, or rosemary.
- Put the zucchini in a single layer in a heavy Ziploc bag, dump in the marinade, and let it marinate in the fridge for several hours (or all day while you’re at work.)
- When it’s time to cook, let the zucchini drain well in a colander placed in the sink while you preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Lay zucchini on an angle to the grill grates, and if you want those criss-cross grill marks, rotate each piece after 3-4 minutes.
- Then turn and cook a few minutes more on the second side.
- I cook zucchini about 10-12 minutes total, or slightly less if you want more crunch left in them.
- Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and enjoy!
Make it a Meal:
Perfect Grilled Zucchini a great low-carb side dish with any of Kalyn’s Best Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Grilling Recipes for Chicken, Fish, Pork, or Beef.
More Ways to Cook Zucchini:
The BEST Slow Cooker Zucchini Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Cauliflower Rice Skillet with Zucchini and Kielbasa ~ The Food Charlatan
The Top Ten Most Popular Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes on Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Zucchini and Eggplant Parmesan ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Ten Amazing Recipes for Zucchini Noodles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Parmesan Garlic Shrimp Zucchini Noodles ~ Inside Bru Crew Life
- 2 zucchinis 10-12 inches long, sliced in slices 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick (see notes)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite vinaigrette salad dressing (see notes)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or garlic puree (optional, but good)
- 1-2 tsp. dried oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, or a combination (optional)
- Cut zucchini into slices, making sure the slices are the same thickness.
- Combine salad dressing with garlic powder and dried herbs of your choice, if using. (I like this both with and without the extra flavorings. This is one place where fresh herbs are not better.)
- Put zucchini slices into Ziploc bag, pour in marinade and let zucchini marinate in the fridge 4 hours or longer, even as long as all day if desired.
- When you’re ready to cook, drain zucchini into a colander placed in the sink.
- To cook zucchini, preheat grill to medium-high. (You can only hold your hand there for 3-4 seconds.) You can spray the grill with non-stick spray if desired, but you don’t really need it.
- Place zucchini on grill on a diagonally to the grill grates, keeping a spray bottle handy for taming any flames that shoot up from the oil in the marinade.
- After 3 or 4 minutes, check for grill marks, and when you see them rotate zucchini going the opposite direction. Cook 3 or 4 more minutes after you've rotated.
- Turn zucchini to second side and cook a few minutes more, or until zucchini is starting to soften, with the outside slightly charred and browned.
- Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve hot.
I like to use a mandoline slicer to slice the zucchini on the diagonal. I like Newman’s Own Original Recipe Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing dressing for this recipe. (affiliate links)
This is an easy recipe that Kalyn came up with and has used for years.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 655mg Carbohydrates: 3.9g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 2g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Zucchini or other low-glycemic summer vegetables grilled this way are perfect for any low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan as well as any phase of the South Beach Diet, as long as you use low-sugar vinaigrette. I like Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar or Newman’s Own Balsamic Vinaigrette which has only 1 gram of sugar per serving. For vegan, Paleo, or Whole 30, be sure to choose an approved dressing.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.