Grilled Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade
Grilled Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade features chicken breasts that are marinated in a flavorful mustard-tarragon marinade and then grilled. And this tasty chicken dish is low-carb, gluten-free, low-glycemic, and dairy-free.
Recently I realized it had been a while since I’ve had a new grilled chicken recipe. It was one of those thoughts that just flitted through my mind, not seeming to lead anywhere, and then a few days later I thought of grilling and tarragon in the same moment and this Grilled Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade recipe was born. If you haven’t tried the distinctive flavor of tarragon, give this a try!
Most decidedly this recipe is a relative of Rosemary Mustard Grilled Chicken, but using fresh tarragon instead of rosemary gives this recipe a completely different twist. I had memories of Chicken Salad with Fresh Tarragon and Peas, which is where my love affair with fresh tarragon got started. I loved this recipe from the moment I tasted it. Grilled chicken isn’t unusual, but the little touch of tarragon in the marinade for this recipe really gives it a lot of personality.
I used the mini-chopper attachment of my favorite Braun Immersion Blender to finely chop the tarragon and mix the marinade ingredients. I shared the technique for cutting thin slits in chicken breasts to help the marinade penetrate in my previous post on How to Make Juicy Grilled Chicken breasts. You might want to read that if you missed it.
Let the chicken marinate for 6-8 hours if you can to get the full impact of the tarragon flavor in the marinade. Follow directions below for grilling the chicken and enjoy!
Make it a Meal:
Serve Grilled Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade with side dishes like Chopped Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Mint, Feta, Lemon and Thyme or Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan for a low-carb meal.
More Grilled Chicken for Summer Dinners:
Very Greek Grilled Chicken from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Harissa Marinated Grilled Chicken from Alice Q. Foodie
Grilled Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Chicken with Tomato Tarragon Sauce from Simply Recipes
Grilled Fusion Chicken from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lime Grilled Chicken from Stephen Cooks
Grilled Chicken with Lemon, Capers, and Oregano from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade
Grilled Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade is marinated in a flavorful mustard-tarragon marinade and then grilled.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 T chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic or garlic puree
- 1 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken breasts. (I like to trim the chicken pieces to a fairly uniform shape, saving the scraps to make chicken stock.)
- Cut small crosswise slits down the length of each piece of chicken, being careful not to cut too deep.
- Put fresh tarragon into mini-processor and chop very finely.
- Add mustard, lemon juice, garlic, Spike Seasoning and olive oil and blend together a few seconds. (If you don’t have a food processor or mini-processor, you can chop the tarragon with a large chef’s knife and then whisk the marinade ingredients together.)
- Put chicken into Ziploc bag or flat plastic container with a snap on lid and pour marinade ingredients over.
- Let marinate in refrigerator 6-8 hours.
- To cook, spray gas or charcoal grill with non-stick spray, then preheat grill to high. (You can only hold your hand there a few seconds at that temperature.)
- Let chicken come to room temperature while grill heats.
- To get nice criss-cross grill marks, lay chicken breasts at a diagonal to grill slats. (I turn the temperature guage down to slightly below high when the grill marks first start to show.)
- After about 4 minutes (or when you see grill marks) rotate chicken 90 degrees to get second set of marks.
- Cook about 4 more minutes on first side (until second marks show) then turn and cook 6-8 minutes on second side.
- Chicken is done when it feels firm, but not hard to the touch, and is well browned.
- Actual cooking time will vary depending on grill temperature, but I cooked the chicken in the photo 15 minutes at medium-high most of the time.
- Serve hot.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Grilled Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Marinade is a perfect main dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet or most any other kind of low-carb eating plan, including Paleo.Find More Recipes Like This One:
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.