Very Greek Grilled Chicken (Video)
Very Greek Grilled Chicken has all the flavors of Greek Chicken Souvlaki in a grilled chicken breast, and this is the most popular grilling recipe on the blog!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Very Greek Grilled Chicken!
For a long time I’ve wanted to take better photos for this Very Greek Grilled Chicken, but I guess the original photo was not quite bad enough to make it rise to the top of the huge list of recipes that need new photos! But this summer I decided the recipe had to have better pictures, partly because I’m pretty sure this is the all-time most popular grilling recipe on Kalyn’s Kitchen!
And this blog has quite a few Grilling Recipes, so that’s saying something. If you haven’t tried my favorite Greek grilled chicken recipe yet, I hope it might be something that makes it on to your menu soon!
I came up with this grilled chicken with Greek flavors in in the very early days of the blog when I was experimenting to see what type of marinade would taste good on grilled chicken, and I’ve made it every summer for many years now. This is a recipe where longer marinating time won’t hurt a bit, but please take time to marinate the chicken at least the 6 hours minimum time I’m recommending. And if you really, really like lemon (like me!) a little extra lemon juice wouldn’t hurt.
Leftover grilled chicken is something I love to have in the fridge to throw on top of a salad or eat in tacos. I only made four pieces of chicken to make taking photos a bit easier, but this recipe makes 8 servings, and I recommend making it all and enjoying the leftover chicken.
Tips for Making Juicy Grilled Chicken Breasts:
If you’re not that experienced with grilling chicken breasts, you might want to read my how-to post that has 5 Easy Steps for Juicy Grilled Chicken Breasts.
Can You Cook Very Greek Grilled Chicken without an Outdoor Grill?
If it’s not quite grilling weather where you live or you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can also cook this chicken on a stove-top grill pan with ridges or a George Foreman Grill with good results. (affiliate links)
How to Make Very Greek Grilled Chicken:
(See complete recipe below, including nutritional information.)
- Start by trimming all visible fat and tendons from the chicken breasts. (I save all those scraps and use to make homemade chicken stock.)
- Make crosswise slits (not too deep) down the length of each chicken breast. This ensures that the thicker pieces of chicken cook more evenly and gives more surface for the marinade.
- If you have a fresh lemon, using lemon zest in this marinade really perks up the flavor, but it can definitely be made without it.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients. (Using a measuring cup with a spout makes it easy to pour the marinade into the plastic bag.)
- I love to use Ziploc bags to marinate things, but you can also use a glass casserole dish if you’ll be home to turn the chicken a few times.
- Let chicken marinate for 6-8 hours if you can.
- Dump the chicken and marinade into a colander placed in the sink and let chicken come to room temperature.
- Spray the grill with non-stick spray or oil; then preheat to medium-high.
- Put chicken on grill top side down on the diagonal and cook about 4 minutes (or until you see grill marks when you lift up the edge.)
- Rotate chicken pieces so they’re going on the diagonal the other way and cook about 4 minutes more (until you see criss-cross grill marks.)
- Turn chicken over and cook about 4-8 minutes on the other side, until chicken feels firm but not hard to the touch when you press on it with your fingers.
- Actual cooking time will vary depending on chicken temperature and how hot your grill is. You can also test the doneness with an Instant-Read Meat Thermometer (affiliate link).
- Leftover Greek Chicken is great on salads or Greek tacos, so don’t be afraid to make the full recipe!
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
For a low-carb meal, serve with something like Slow Roasted Asparagus or Chopped Greek-Style Salad with Peppers. Or serve with Grilled Zucchini, which could cook right along side the chicken on the grill. And for an ultra-easy side dish, the chicken in the photo is served with Cucumbers Caesar.
More Chicken for Dinner:
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Chicken Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad ~ Saving Room for Dessert
Rosemary Mustard Grilled Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Lemon Garlic Spatchcocked Chicken Dinner ~ The Noshery
Sriracha-Glazed Grilled Chicken Kabobs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken Breasts with Jalapeno Cheese Sauce ~ Family Food on the Table
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
If you don't have a fresh lemon to get lemon zest, you can use 1/4 tsp. dried lemon zest (or use a little more lemon juice if you don’t have lemon zest). This chicken could also be cooked in a stove-top grill pan with ridges or a George Foreman Grill with good results (affiliate links). This recipe created by Kalyn. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 279mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 37g
If you don't have a fresh lemon to get lemon zest, you can use 1/4 tsp. dried lemon zest (or use a little more lemon juice if you don’t have lemon zest). This chicken could also be cooked in a stove-top grill pan with ridges or a George Foreman Grill with good results (affiliate links).
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Very Greek Grilled Chicken is great for any type of Low-Carb or carb-conscious eating plan, including Keto, Paleo, or any phase of the original South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.