Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese (Video)
Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese features well-trimmed chicken thighs baked in a spicy buffalo sauce and topped with melted blue cheese! And anyone who likes chicken and Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is going to love this for an easy low-carb dinner.
Watch the video to see if you might want to make
Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese!
This Baked Buffalo Chicken Thighs with Melted Blue Cheese is a recipe I created when I realized that Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link) had zero carbs, and if you like Buffalo Wings, you’ll love this healthy chicken main dish with the same flavors. This dinner idea is a treat for low-carb or Keto eaters who like buffalo sauce, and I’m recommending it for my Friday Favorites pick for this week! You could skip the blue cheese if you don’t have that in the house, or use another crumbly cheese like Feta or Cotija or even some grated Mozzarella if you have that!
I’ve become a fan of inexpensive chicken thighs for a quick dinner, and this recipe is a riff on the Sweet and Spicy Baked Sriracha Chicken Thighs that we also absolutely devoured when we tested the recipe. Figuring out how easy it is to use Kitchen Shears (affiliate link) to trim the chicken thighs has made me a lot more interested in cooking them. For this recipe I used the kitchen shears to cut away the skin and most of the fatty parts that are on the underneath side of the thighs.
And there are plenty more recipes using Frank’s Red Hot Sauce on the blog, for anyone else who’s also a fan of this spicy sauce with zero carbs!
How to Make Low-Carb Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- If you use Kitchen Shears to remove the skin and trim away fat (including the pocket of fat on the underneath side) I think bone-in thighs are perfect for a dish like this. Or leave more fat on than I did, your choice.
- Sprinkle thighs with salt, pepper, and a little Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link) and bake skin-side up for 15 minutes at 400F/200C.
- While the thighs bake, whisk together Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire Sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), yellow mustard, and a tiny bit of sweetener to make the sauce.
- Turn chicken over, brush with half the sauce, and bake 10 minutes more.
- Then turn the chicken skin-side-up again, brush with the remaining sauce and bake 10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese and bake 10 minutes more and you’re done!
More Delicious Baked Chicken Recipes:
Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Simple Roasted Chicken ~ Give Recipe
Baked Pesto Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Mustard Lime Chicken ~ Elana’s Pantry
Marinate-All Day Greek Lemon Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 995mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe is perfect for low-carb or Keto eating plans if you use an approved sweetener, since Franks Red Hot Sauce has zero carbs. The South Beach Diet doesn’t recommend chicken thighs because of the fat content, but since I realized that you really can trim them well using kitchen shears I’ve been considering them an acceptable choice for an occasional treat for South Beach, and they cook perfectly in a recipe like this where boneless skinless breast meat might get dried out.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Oven Dinners to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted March 2015. Recipe was updated with nutritional information and other improvements in March 2020.