Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese (Video)
Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese features well-trimmed chicken thighs which are baked in a spicy buffalo sauce and topped with melted blue cheese! And this low-carb recipe is also Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and if you’re not too generous on the blue cheese it can be South Beach Diet Phase One. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might want to make Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese!
It’s been a busy week with at my house with my sister Laurel, niece Amanda, and brother Rand all taking a turn as houseguests. They came for the wedding of my niece Olivia and the arrival back in Utah of her sister Kate; if you follow me on Instagram you might have seen the photos of these gorgeous nieces of mine. I love having guests and feel grateful to have a house with space for visitors to stay, but as you might guess, not much blog-related cooking gets done when the house is full of visitors.
Lukily I made these Low-Carb Baked Buffalo Chicken Thighs with Melted Blue Cheese before all the family celebrating started. I can’t say enough good about this recipe, and I’m excited to share it. And this is really a treat for low-carb or Keto eaters who like buffalo sauce!
Yes, I’m having a little fling with chicken thighs, and this recipe is a riff on the Sweet and Spicy Baked Sriracha Chicken Thighs that we absolutely devoured when we tested the recipe. When I realized recently that Frank’s Red Hot Sauce had zero carbs, it inspired this recipe. If you like Buffalo Wings, you’ll love this healthy chicken main dish with the same flavors.
Edit: Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese was featured in the Top Ten New Recipes of 2015 (plus Honorable Mentions).
If you use Kitchen Shears to remove the skin and trim away fat (including the pocket of fat on the underneath side) I think bone-in thighs are perfect for a dish like this. Or leave more fan on than I did, your choice. Sprinkle thighs with salt, pepper, and a little Poultry Seasoning and bake skin-side up for 15 minutes at 400F/200C.
While the thighs bake, whisk together Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire Sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, Green Tabasco Sauce, yellow mustard, and a tiny bit of brown sugar to make the sauce. Turn chicken over, brush with half the sauce, and bake 10 minutes more.
Then turn the chicken skin-side-up again, brush with the remaining sauce and bake 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese and bake 10 minutes one more time and you’re done!
This was so amazingly good!
More Delicious Ideas with Baked Chicken:
Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Simple Roasted Chicken ~ Give Recipe
Baked Pesto Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Mustard Lime Chicken ~ Elana’s Pantry
Marinate-All Day Greek Lemon Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese
Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese features well-trimmed chicken thighs which are baked in a spicy buffalo sauce and topped with melted blue cheese!
- about 10 skin-on-bone-in chicken thighs (or buy bone-in skinless thighs if you can find them)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to season chicken
- 1 tsp. dried Poultry Seasoning
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (or a little more)
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 1/2 T Worcestershire Sauce (Look for gluten-free Worcestershire if needed)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1-2 tsp. Green Tabasco Sauce (probably optional, but this does add another dimension of flavor)
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1 T brown sugar or sweetener of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a glass or crockery baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I used a dish that was about 9″ x 13″ but any dish that will fit the chicken thighs in a single layer will work.)
- Use Kitchen Shears or a sharp knife to remove the skin and trim away fat from the thighs, paying special attention to the pocket of fat on the underneath side. (I save the skin and chicken scraps to make homemade chicken stock.)
- Put the chicken thighs skin-side up in the baking dish and season with salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and the dried poultry seasoning. Bake chicken 15 minutes while you whisk together the Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, olive oil, Worcestershire Sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, Green Tabasco Sauce, yellow mustard, and brown sugar (or other sweetener) to make the sauce.
- After initial 15 minutes, turn the chicken pieces over, and brush with half the sauce mixture, and bake chicken 10 minutes more. Then turn chicken again (so skin side is up again) and brush with the remaining sauce and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove blue cheese from fridge and crumble apart. When chicken has baked 10 minutes with the sauce on the top side, sprinkle blue cheese over the chicken and bake 10 minutes more. Serve hot.
Recipe created by Kalyn and Jake with inspiration from Sweet and Spicy Baked Sriracha Chicken Thighs.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe is perfect for low-carb or Keto eating plans if you use an approved sweetener, since Franks Red Hot Sauce has zero carbs. The South Beach Diet doesn’t recommend chicken thighs because of the fat content, but since I realized that you really can trim them well using kitchen shears I’ve been considering them an acceptable choice for South Beach, and they cook perfectly in a recipe like this where boneless skinless breast meat might get dried out.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutritional analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.