Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese (Video)
Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese features well-trimmed chicken thighs baked in a spicy buffalo sauce and topped with melted blue cheese! And anyone who likes chicken and Frank’s Red Hot Sauce is going to love this for an easy low-carb dinner.
If you like Buffalo Wings, you’ll probably love this Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese that has the same flavors. This dinner idea is a treat for low-carb or Keto eaters who like buffalo sauce, and I’m recommending it for my Friday Favorites pick for this week!
And you might see more recipes here with chicken thighs, because figuring out how easy it is to use Kitchen Shears (affiliate link) to trim the chicken thighs has made me a lot more interested in cooking them. For this recipe I used kitchen shears to cut away the skin and most of the fatty parts that are on the underneath side of the thighs. And now I’ve become a fan of inexpensive chicken thighs for a quick dinner.
This recipe is a riff on the Sweet and Spicy Baked Sriracha Chicken that also uses thighs and that’s another recipe we also absolutely devoured when we tested the recipe.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- skin-on-bone-in chicken thighs
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link)
- crumbled blue cheese
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link)
- Olive Oil (affiliate link)
- Worcestershire Sauce, or Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce (affiliate link)
- Garlic Powder (affiliate link)
- Onion Powder (affiliate link)
- Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), probably optional, but good
- yellow mustard
- Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link), or sweetener of your choice
Why I use Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for the Buffalo Chicken Flavor:
I was excited when I realized that Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link) had zero carbs, and now I love it not only for the spicy Buffalo Sauce flavor but also for the way it can help make a dish that’s extra low in carbs! And there are more recipes using Frank’s Red Hot Sauce on the blog, for anyone else who’s also a fan of this spicy sauce.
What if you’re not a fan of blue cheese?
You could skip the blue cheese if you don’t like that pungent cheese or don’t have it in the house, or use another crumbly cheese like Feta or Cotija or even some grated Mozzarella if you have that!
How low in carbs is this Baked Buffalo Chicken?
This delicious Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese only has 4 net carbs per serving!
Want even more low-carb dinner ideas with Buffalo Chicken flavor?
How to make Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)>
- I use Kitchen Shears to remove the skin and trim away fat from the bone-in thighs, or leave a bit more fat, your choice.
- Sprinkle thighs with salt, pepper, and Poultry Seasoning (affiliate link) and bake skin-side up for 15 minutes.
- While thighs bake, whisk together Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link), olive oil, Worcestershire Sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), yellow mustard, and a tiny bit of sweetener to make the sauce.
- Turn chicken over, brush with half the sauce, and bake 10 minutes more.
- Then turn the chicken skin-side-up again, brush with the remaining sauce and bake 10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese and bake 10 minutes more and you’re ready to eat!
More Delicious Baked Chicken Recipes:
- 10 skin-on-bone-in chicken thighs (or buy bone-in skinless thighs if you can find them)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to season chicken
- 1 tsp. dried Poultry Seasoning
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (or a little more)
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 1/2 T Worcestershire Sauce (Look for gluten-free Worcestershire if needed)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1-2 tsp. Green Tabasco Sauce (probably optional, but this does add another dimension of flavor)
- 2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1 T Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (or sweetener of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a glass or crockery baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I used a dish that was about 9″ x 13″ but any dish that will fit the chicken thighs in a single layer will work.)
- Use Kitchen Shears (affiliate link) or a sharp knife to remove the skin and trim away fat from the thighs, paying special attention to the pocket of fat on the underneath side. (I save the skin and chicken scraps to make homemade chicken stock.)
- Put the chicken thighs skin-side up in the baking dish and season with salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and the dried poultry seasoning.
- Bake chicken 15 minutes while you whisk together the Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (affiliate link), olive oil, Worcestershire Sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, Green Tabasco Sauce (affiliate link), yellow mustard, and Golden Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link) or other sweetener to make the sauce.
- After initial 15 minutes, turn the chicken pieces over, and brush with half the sauce mixture, and bake chicken 10 minutes more.
- Then turn chicken again (so skin side is up again) and brush with the remaining sauce and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove blue cheese from fridge and crumble apart. When chicken has baked 10 minutes with the sauce on the top side, sprinkle blue cheese over the chicken and bake 10 minutes more. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 995mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Baked Buffalo Chicken recipe is perfect for low-carb or Keto eating plans, since Franks Red Hot Sauce has zero carbs. The original South Beach Diet doesn’t recommend chicken thighs because of the fat content, but since I realized that you really can trim them well using kitchen shears I’ve been considering them an acceptable choice for an occasional treat for South Beach, and they cook perfectly in a recipe like this where boneless skinless breast meat might get dried out.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Oven Dinners to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, ;on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese was first posted March 2015. Recipe was updated with nutritional information and other improvements in March 2020 and was last updated in 2023.