Egg Salad Pita with Green Olives
Egg Salad Pita with Green Olives is perfect to make with hard boiled eggs, and anyone who loves green olives will love this egg salad recipe. I love to eat this in low-carb pita for a healthy lunch!
Easter weekend is the biggest hard-boiled egg eating time of the year, and for everyone who has hard-boiled eggs and likes green olives, I think this Egg Salad Pita with Green Olives is the perfect egg salad recipe idea! And you might be having hard-boiled eggs around for Easter, so this seems like a good recipe to recommend for Friday Favorites this week!
This ultra simple egg salad recipe is the one I make over and over! Originally it was something that just popped into my head one day when I wanted something quick, but I loved the combination of green olives in egg salad so much, I made it again a few days later and took some photos. And now I’ve been making this variation of egg salad for years and years.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- Greek Yogurt (or use all mayo if you prefer)
- Dijon mustard
- green onion
- green olives
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- romaine lettuce
- Joseph’s Low-Carb Pita Bread (affiliate link) or other low-carb pita bread
What Pita Bread do I use for this Egg Salad in Pita?
I eat the egg salad with green olives inside My Favorite Low-Carb Pita Bread for a quick lunch option, but you can also eat your egg salad in lettuce wraps for a delicious idea that would also be Keto.
More Eggs and Green Olives:
One year when I had hard-boiled eggs I also tried using green olives in the filling for deviled eggs; that’s also probably going to be a hit for people who love green olives (like me!)
Want more ideas for using hard-boiled eggs?
Of course Deviled Eggs are probably one of the most popular recipes to make with boiled eggs. But if you’d like to think outside the box a bit more, check out Low-Carb and Keto Recipes using Hard-Boiled Eggs if you need more ideas for using all those boiled eggs!
How to make Egg Salad Pita with Green Olives :
(Scroll down for complete recipe including nutritional information.)
- Use one of my the methods I’ve recommended for Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs to make the eggs.
- While the cook, mix together the Greek yogurt, mayo, and Dijon so it’s well-combined. (Use all mayo if you prefer or don’t have any Greek Yogurt.)
- When the boiled eggs have cooled, peel the eggs and chop them into pieces, then mix in the mustard mixture.
- Finely chop the green olives and thinly slice the green onions.
- Mix green onions and green olives into the egg salad mixture.
- Thinly slice lettuce, and then spread the egg salad on to one side of the pita and stuff in a few tablespoons of lettuce.
- I make this tasty Egg Salad Pita with Green Olives with Joseph’s Low-Carb Pita Bread (affiliate link), which I order online since it’s not sold in Utah.
More Recipe Ideas with Boiled Eggs:
- 4 eggs (see notes)
- 2 T Greek Yogurt (see notes)
- 1 T mayo
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 T thinly-sliced green onion
- 8 green olives, finely chopped
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Pita Bread (see notes)
- Cook eggs according to directions for Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs.
- Let eggs cool, then peel and chop the eggs and put them into a small bowl.
- While eggs cook, mix together the fat-free Greek yogurt, mayo, and Dijon. Thinly slice green onions and chop the green olives.
- Mix mustard mixture into the chopped eggs and then mix in the sliced green onion and chopped olives.
- Cut the pita bread in half and separate the inside edge so it can be filled.
- Spread 1/4 the egg mixture on to the bottom side of each pita half and stuff 1/4 the sliced lettuce on top of it.
- Serve right away.
You can skip the Greek Yogurt and use all mayo if you prefer.
Eggs that are not too fresh will make better boiled eggs that are easier to peel. I'd use My Favorite Low-Carb Pita Bread for this recipe.
Nutritional information is based on the low-carb pita bread I used.
This recipe created by Kalyn.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 376mgSodium: 1057mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3.4gSugar: 1.3gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Eggs are a great low-carb food, and when made these egg salad pitas are made with whole wheat or low-carb pita bread and using the fat-free Greek yogurt to reduce saturated fat, this is a great lunch or light dinner option for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. If you use the low-carb pita bread that I use, it might work for other low-carb eating plans, although low-carb plans would probably prefer more mayo and less Greek yogurt.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Lunches to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, or on Instagram to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe
This recipe was first posted in 2012; it was last updated with more information April 2022.