Roasted Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Onions, and Rosemary
Roasted Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Onions, and Rosemary are a tasty low-carb dinner that’s delicious and easy to make!
I don’t claim to be an expert about low-carb eating, but one thing I do know is that having a collection of really delicious low-carb dinners that are not to hard to make on a work night can really help. That’s why I’m always so happy when I make something that seems like it’s do-able for a week-night dinner, and I love all things roasted chicken.
I’ve made roasted chicken sheet pan meals, whole roasted chicken, and chicken that’s stuffed and roasted, and these Low-Carb Roasted Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Onions, and Rosemary are another take on roasted chicken that’s so delicious you’ll probably make it over and over. The only hard thing about this recipe is trimming the chicken thighs, and if you use my trick of trimming with kitchen shears (affiliate link)that makes it quicker and much easier!
This recipe produces moist and flavorful low-carb chicken thighs, with just a hint of rosemary and onion in the chicken. We used ground rosemary, but if you have fresh rosemary by all means use that. We also increased the amount of mushrooms, and you might increase the red onion too because those roasted red onions were delicious, but remember that onions do have some carbs.
How to Make Low-Carb Roasted Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Onions, and Rosemary:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Trim the chicken thighs, removing the skin and trimming away most of the fat, or leave a little fat and skin if you prefer. (I do that with kitchen shears (affiliate link), which is much easier than using a knife.)
- Grind up the rosemary in a mortar and pestle (affiliate link) if you’re using dried rosemary.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken well, then place in a casserole dish.
- Saute the onions for a couple of minutes, then add the mushrooms and saute them about 5 minutes more, or until the liquid has all evaporated.
- Mix in the ground rosemary or sprigs of fresh rosemary and layer the vegetables over the chicken.
- Roast at 350F/180C for 35-45 minutes, or until chicken and vegetables are done and your house smells like rosemary!
- Serve hot, with fresh parsley sprinkled over if desired.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This would taste great with Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese, The Best Easy Cauliflower Rice, or Low-Carb Twice Baked Cauliflower!
More Tasty Chicken for Dinner:
Chicken Recipes Index Page ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Baked Buffalo Chicken with Melted Blue Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Perfect Pan-Fried Chicken Thighs ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Low-Carb Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Bake ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 8 - 10 chicken thighs with bone in (see notes)
- salt/pepper to season chicken
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil (more or less, depending on your pan)
- 1 red onion, cut into slivers (next time I would use more onion)
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms (buy sliced mushrooms if you want to save time)
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary, ground in a mortar and pestle or 10 fresh rosemary springs
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Trim chicken thighs, removing the skin and as much of the fat as you prefer, including the pocket of hidden fat on the back side of each thigh. (I do that with kitchen shears (affiliate link), which is much easier than using a knife.) Season thighs well on both sides with salt and pepper. I used Vege-Sal (affiliate link).
- Heat large frying pan over medium-high heat, add a little olive oil, and brown chicken very well on both sides. Don’t rush this step, I browned my chicken for about 10 minutes
- Remove chicken from frying pan and place in glass casserole dish.
- Pour out most of the fat from the pan if it seems like a lot, then put onions in and cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more or until the liquid is evaporated. Mix in ground rosemary or fresh sprigs of rosemary.
- Put partly-cooked mushrooms and onions over chicken pieces.
- Roast 35-45 minutes, until chicken and veggies are done and your house is smelling delightfully of rosemary.
- Serve hot, with any juice from the dish spooned over the chicken.
Buy skinless chicken, or remove the skin yourself. Or you can leave on some skin if you prefer.
This chicken was adapted from a recipe in Eat This Book by Tyler Florence. I got this book as a prize from a blog that no longer exists, and I miss Lisa who was the blogging friend who gave me the book!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 833Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 15gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 436mgSodium: 729mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 83g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Roasted Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Onions, and Rosemary are great for any Keto, low-carb, or low-glycemic eating plan, some of which might prefer to keep the chicken skin. Chicken thighs have always been a limited food for the original South Beach Diet because of the saturated fat, but I trim the thighs well with my kitchen shears, and truthfully I’m not as worried about saturated fat any more; you decide whether you think this is okay for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Oven Dinners to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.