Ginger Chicken Stir Fry (Video)
Low-Carb Ginger Chicken Stir Fry is a dish that’s delicious and easy to make even if you’re not that experienced with stir-frying, and if you don’t have a wok you can make this in a large frying pan.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Ginger Chicken Stir Fry!
If you’re paying attention at all around here you must have noticed that I’m updating lots of my oldest recipes and taking better photos! I never imagined when I started blogging in 2005 that food blogging would turn into the ultra-competitive industry it is now, and updating old recipes to show off the food better is so satisfying. And let’s face it, some of my earlier photos are pretty gruesome!
But sometimes when I re-do an old recipe with Kara, we aren’t wowed by the original version and end up changing it quite a bit to get a recipe that’s up to current standards. That’s how the ginger chicken recipe that used to be here morphed into the Low-Carb Ginger Chicken Stir Fry you see here now! The new recipe has red pepper strips and sugar snap peas adding some color and texture to the dish, and it’s easier to make! And Kara and I thought this was really tasty, enjoy!
Low-Carb Ginger Chicken Stir Fry was first posted in November 2005! The version you see now was updated (and changed quite a bit) in February 2020, but if anyone lands here who was a fan of the original Ginger Chicken you can find the printer-friendly recipe at that link.
Tips for Stir Frying:
Many years ago I took a Chinese Cooking class and learned these essential tips for stir fry cooking. Making sure you follow these tips will give better results when you stir fry:
- Preheat the wok (before you put the oil in).
- Season the oil (by briefly cooking whole pieces of garlic and ginger root, which you remove when you add the food to be cooked).
- Symmetry of cut (all pieces must be cut the same size and shape).
- Have all ingredients cut and sauces mixed before you cook.
- Use very high heat and cook fast.
How to Make Low-Carb Ginger Chicken Stir Fry:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Trim chicken breasts and cut into strips.
- Cut ends off red pepper, remove seeds, and cut the pepper into strips. Trim ends from sugar-snap peas and cut each one in half lengthwise.
- Peel garlic cloves, and cut a few slices of fresh ginger root.
- Slice green onions on the diagonal.
- Mix soy sauce or Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (affiliate link), Oyster Sauce or Gluten-Free Oyster Sauce (affiliate link), sesame oil, Monkfruit Sweetener (affiliate link) or sweetener of your choice, rice vinegar, and Minced Ginger from a jar (affiliate link) to make the stir-fry sauce.
- Put wok or frying pan over high heat and heat the dry pan for about 1 minute.
- Add 2 T peanut oil and heat the oil 1 minute. Then add slices of ginger and garlic cloves and cook 1-2 minutes, just until you start to smell garlic and ginger. Discard garlic and ginger slices.
- Add chicken and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until chicken is nearly cooked through and barely starting to brown.
- Add red pepper strips and sugar snap peas and cook 2-3 minutes, cooking constantly.
- Add green onion and cook about 1 minute more, still stirring.
- Add sauce and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring as it cooks, until the sauce is slightly thickened and coats the ingredients.
- Serve hot.
Make it a Meal:
More Tasty Dinners with Chicken:
Low-Carb Chicken Stir-Fry Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry ~ Low-Carb Maven
Forbidden City Chicken ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry with Oyster Sauce ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Low-Carb Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Nutritional information is calculated using net carbs for the sweetener. This recipe was created by Kalyn and Kara, after much experimenting. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 9.7gSaturated Fat: 1.8gUnsaturated Fat: 7.1gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 9.9gFiber: 2.2gSugar: 6.3gProtein: 21g
Nutritional information is calculated using net carbs for the sweetener.
This recipe was created by Kalyn and Kara, after much experimenting.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This dish is great for low-carb and low-glycemic diets and for the South Beach Diet, any phase, as long as you substitute Stevia in the Raw Granulated or any approved sweetener for the sugar. (Even if you use sugar, the amount of sugar in a serving would be very minimal.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Stir-Fry Recipes to find more recipes like this one! Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.