Cauliflower Gratin (Video)
This delicious low-carb Cauliflower Gratin uses sharp cheddar and Parmesan, and this is a perfect side dish for a special meal! Or this can be a nice stand-in for Mac-n-Cheese.
This Cauliflower Gratin that uses sharp cheddar and Parmesan cheese is a recipe that has quite a few fans and it’s low-carb, delicious, cheesy, comforting, and also ridiculously easy to make. There’s something so perfect about the combination of cauliflower + cheese; wouldn’t you agree?
This recipe is a close cousin to the Broccoli Gratin that’s also one of my favorites (and something I’ve made over and over for Thanksgiving.) Both of them are great as a cheesy side dish, but recently I ate the cauliflower for a low-carb main dish (kind of a mac-n-cheese wanna-be) and thoroughly enjoyed it as a meatless meal with a green salad on the side.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- finely grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make Cauliflower Gratin:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Cut a medium-sized head of cauliflower into bite-sized pieces; then cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, mix together finely grated sharp cheddar cheese, mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and pepper.
- When cauliflower has cooked ten minutes, drain well in a colander placed in the sink.
- After cauliflower drains well, place in baking dish that you’ve sprayed with non-stick spray or a little olive oil.
- Use a rubber scraper to spread the cheese mixture over the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake 25-30 minutes, or until cauliflower is bubbly and lightly browned on top.
- Yum! I’d love this for a meatless dinner or a cheesy side dish!
More Cauliflower Paired with Cheese:
Twice-Baked Cauliflower ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mini Cauliflower Boursin Souffles ~ Noble Pig
Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spinach Artichoke Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 T mayo
- 4 T sour cream
- 1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces. (To avoid the little broken pieces of cauliflower all over the cutting board, cut through cauliflower stem, then pull apart the flower end.)
- Put cauliflower in a small pot, add water to cover by a few inches, then bring to boil and cook 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is just starting to get tender.
- Drain cauliflower into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain very well.
- While cauliflower cooks, stir together mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and black pepper. Stir in finely grated sharp cheddar.
- Spray a large glass or crockery baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray, then pour the well-drained cauliflower into the dish and spread out evenly.
- Use a rubber scraper to spread gratin mixture over the top of the cauliflower. (This is not a sauce that completely covers the cauliflower, more like a topping.)
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until cauliflower is bubbling and lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 375mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe would be suitable for low-carb eating plans, and could be suitable for any phase of the original South Beach Diet, but it would be recommended to use low-fat sharp cheddar, low-fat mayo, and low-fat sour cream if you’re making this for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Side Dishes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.