Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan (Video)
Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan can be a nice stand-in for Mac-n-Cheese and this cheesy cauliflower dish is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, meatless, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use Cauliflower Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan!
This Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan was first posted in 2009, and it’s a recipe that has quite a few fans so recently I decided the photos really must have a makeover. And when I made this tasty Cauliflower Gratin to take the new pictures, it was just as delicious as I had remembered, cheesy and comforting. There’s something so perfect about the combination of cauliflower + cheese; wouldn’t you agree?
This recipe is a close cousin to the Broccoli Gratin with Swiss and Parmesan that’s also one of my favorites (and something I’ve made over and over for Thanksgiving.) Both of them are great as a cheesy side dish, but this time I ate the cauliflower for a low-carb main dish (kind of a mac-n-cheese wanna-be) and thoroughly enjoyed it as a meatless meal with a green salad on the side.
If you’re looking for a Meatless Monday idea for next week, I bet this would be a hit with most people, and I’d guess that even people who aren’t huge cauliflower fans might like this if they like cheese. (You can find more Meatless Monday Recipes with the new recipes-by-photo index.
Cut a medium-sized head of cauliflower into bite-sized pieces; then cook in boiling water for 10 minutes and let drain well in a colander in the sink. After cauliflower drains well, place in baking dish that you’ve sprayed with non-stick spray or a little olive oil.
While cauliflower is cooking, mix together finely grated sharp cheddar cheese, mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and pepper. Use a rubber scraper to spread the cheese mixture over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake 25-30 minutes, or until cauliflower is bubbly and lightly browned on top.
Yum! I’d love this for a meatless dinner or a cheesy side dish!
More Cauliflower Paired with Cheese:
Twice-Baked Cauliflower ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Mini Cauliflower Boursin Souffles ~ Noble Pig
Pureed Cauliflower with Garlic, Parmesan, and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spinach Artichoke Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan
Cauliflower Gratin with Sharp Cheddar and Parmesan can be a nice stand-in for Mac-n-Cheese.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese (I have made with with low-fat and regular sharp cheddar and both were fine)
- 4 T mayo or light mayo (but not fat free)
- 4 T sour cream or light sour cream (but not fat free)
- 1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces. (To avoid the little broken pieces of cauliflower all over the cutting board, cut through cauliflower stem, then pull apart the flower end.)
- Put cauliflower in a small pot, add water to cover by a few inches, then bring to boil and cook 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is just starting to get tender. Drain into a colander placed in the sink.
- While cauliflower cooks, stir together mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and black pepper. Stir in finely grated sharp cheddar.
- Spray a large glass or crockery baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray, then pour the well-drained cauliflower into the dish and spread out evenly. Use a rubber scraper to spread gratin mixture over the top of the cauliflower. (This is not a sauce that completely covers the cauliflower, more like a topping.)
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until cauliflower is bubbling and lightly browned.
- Serve hot.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe would be suitable for most low-carb eating plans, and could be suitable for any phase of the South Beach Diet, but it would be recommended to use low-fat sharp cheddar, low-fat mayo, and low-fat sour cream if you’re making this for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.