Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup (Video)
Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup is a low-carb soup that’s loaded with cheesy flavor, and this is perfect for cold winter weather.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup!
Nearly every family restaurant in the U.S. has some version of broccoli cheese soup on the menu because of the wonderful flavor combination that is broccoli + melted cheese. And right now many parts of the U.S. are having terrible winter storms, so it seems like this Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup is a great dinner idea to feature for Friday Favorites this week! And this delicious soup is really low in carbs!
It took some experimenting to come up with a broccoli-cheese soup that wasn’t thickened with flour, but I got inspiration from some soups I saw online. My recipe added cauliflower, which pureed nicely to add some body to the soup. I also added some barely-cooked broccoli florets at the end for a little more texture. I think this kind of soup needs plenty of extra sharp cheddar to make it taste really good, and using a good quality aged cheddar will really make a difference. I tested this soup recipe with my nephew Jake and we gobbled it up after a long cooking day when we weren’t all that hungry, so I think it’s safe to say it was a success.
Watch how make Low-Carb Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup!
Why I Love My Immersion Blender!
I think that if you’re going to try making a pureed soup that’s not going to be thickened with flour or cornstarch, using an Immersion Blender (affiliate link) to puree the hot soup is going to be the easiest method, and will also give the best results. (Pureeing hot soup in a blender or food processor is possible, but it’s not easy.)
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- broccoli, including stems
- cauliflower, including stems
- olive oil
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- Dried Thyme (affiliate link)
- vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- half and half (or use milk or heavy cream)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Cut up two cups of chopped broccoli and 2 cups of chopped cauliflower.
- Chop up an onion and saute in olive oil until is starts to brown, then add Minced Garlic (affiliate link) and Dried Thyme (affiliate link) and cook a minute or two more.
- Add 4 cups vegetable stock plus the chopped broccoli and cauliflower and simmer about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are quite soft.
- When the vegetables are nicely softened, use an Immersion Blender (affiliate link) to puree the soup until it’s fairly smooth.
- Then add 2 cups sharp cheddar and melt it into the soup.
- Add 1/2 cup milk, half and half, or cream and stir in.
- Put cut up another 2 cups of broccoli florets and put into a large glass measuring cup or bowl and microwave 1 minute.
- Add the barely-cooked broccoli to the soup, season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper, and serve hot (with extra cheese to add at the table if desired.)
More Low-Carb Soups You Might Like:
Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup with Mushrooms from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Keto Italian Wedding Soup from All Day I Dream About Food
Instant Pot Low-Carb Ground Beef Cauliflower Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Albondigas Soup or Mexican Meatball Soup from Low-Carb with Jennifer
Low-Carb Stuffed Pepper Soup from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, including stems
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower, including stems
- 2 additional cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup half and half (see notes)
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Cut up 2 cups each of chopped broccoli and cauliflower, including stems.
- Chop the onion, then heat the olive oil or butter in a large heavy soup pot and saute the onion over medium-high heat until it’s starting to lightly brown. Then add the garlic and thyme and cook about a minute more.
- Add the vegetable stock, chopped broccoli with stems, and chopped cauliflower with stems, and let the soup simmer on medium-low heat about 20 minutes (or until the broccoli and cauliflower are both very tender.)
- Use an Immersion Blender (affiliate link) to carefully puree all the soup until it’s quite smooth. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully puree small amount of soup in a blender or food processor until it’s all pureed; then add it back into the pan. Be sure not to fill the blender or food processor too fill and take care not to get burned with the hot soup.)
- Bring the soup back to a very low simmer; then add the grated cheese and stir until it’s melted into the soup.
- Turn heat as low as it will go and stir in the half and half.
- Cut another 2 cups of broccoli florets. Put the broccoli florets into a large glass measuring cup or bowl, cover with cling wrap, and microwave on high for one minute.
- Stir the barely cooked broccoli into the soup, season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Serve hot, with extra grated cheese to add at the table.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1190mgCarbohydrates: 7.6gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This soup recipe as written would be suitable for most types of Low-Carb eating plans. The original South Beach Diet would recommend olive oil, low-fat cheese, and skim milk to make this soup lower in saturated fat. However, I’m not sure how the low-fat cheese will melt in the soup and I I’d use regular cheese and make this an occasional treat if you’re being that strict on South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Soup Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.