Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin (Video)
Of course this Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin is a riff on my mega-popular Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin! And any time you’re lucky enough to have leftover ham, either of these cheesy ham casseroles are a great way to use it!
PIN this tasty Ham and Broccoli Casserole to make it later!
If you like cheesy broccoli and ham, I promise you are going to LOVE this new recipe for Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin. This is another recipe where an idea from a reader inspired a new version of a favorite recipe on the site, and this is a fun new variation of Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin! And you just might have some leftover ham after Easter, so I’m featuring this today as my Friday Favorites pick!
Everyone who likes broccoli is probably going to enjoy trying this, and I really wish I had written down the name of the reader who commented on social media that she always makes the ham and cauliflower recipe using broccoli so I could give proper credit! Of course, my fondness for broccoli + cheese is pretty well-documented on the blog, so of course I loved the idea of a cheesy casserole with ham and broccoli.
When we tested the recipe as a ham and broccoli casserole Kara and I made only a couple of minor changes, and it was a complete winner! And if you’re lucky enough to have leftover ham after Easter, this is a perfect way to use it.
And I have happily eaten up all my share of the leftovers, so I can report that this reheats beautifully too. Hope you enjoy trying it if you’re a fellow fan of cheesy broccoli!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is only a list of ingredients; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- broccoli flowerets
- salt for broccoli cooking water
- cream cheese
- sour cream (or use plain Greek yogurt if you prefer)
- coarsely grated Parmesan
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- green onions
- diced ham
- black pepper to taste
Can you make the Ham and Broccoli Casserole with frozen broccoli?
I’m not a big fan of frozen broccoli, so I would use fresh barely-cooked broccoli for this recipe. But I often hear from people who use frozen broccoli in some of my casseroles, so give it a try if you don’t like cutting up and cooking the broccoli.
Is this Ham and Broccoli Casserole low in carbs?
As long as you’re careful to buy ham without added sugar, this recipe is suitable for low-carb or Keto diets.
What other cheese can you use for the Ham and Broccoli Casserole?
I love the combo if sharp cheddar Parmesan in gratin recipes. But any flavorful cheese that melts well can be used in this recipe.
More tasty ideas for using leftover ham:
You can look at Low-Carb and Keto Leftover Ham Recipes for even more ideas for using leftover ham!
How to make Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin:
(This is only a summary of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the complete recipe.)
- Remove cream cheese from package and start to soften it in a container that’s big enough to hold all the sauce ingredients. (You can partly soften cream cheese in the microwave if you need to.)
- Cut up enough broccoli to make 6 cups broccoli flowerets. (That’s a huge measuring cup in the photo!)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add broccoli, and cook 3 minutes, or even slightly less.
- After 3 minutes, immediately dump broccoli into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain well.
- When the cream cheese is softened, mix in sour cream, 2 T coarsely grated Parmesan, 1 cup sharp cheddar, and sliced green onion. (Blogger FAIL, missed taking a photo of that.)
- When broccoli is well drained, put it into a mixing bowl. (Pat dry with paper towels if it seems very wet.)
- Gently stir sauce mixture into the broccoli.
- Add ham cubes and gently combine with the broccoli and sauce.
- Place mixture into a 8″ x 12″ casserole dish and season with fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the rest of the sharp cheddar and coarsely grated Parmesan over the top of the casserole.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbling hot.
- This reheated well and I loved having some leftovers for a quick low-carb dinner!
- If you like to do Weekend Food Prep you might want to use a bigger dish and double the recipe.
More Cheesy Broccoli to Try:
- Broccoli and Three Cheese Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Low-Carb Broccoli, Ham, and Mozzarella Baked with Eggs
- Broccoli Gratin
- Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Pecorino-Romano Cheese
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin
This low-carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin is a variation on a popular ham and cauliflower casserole that was suggested by a reader. And if your family likes these ingredients I bet this cheesy casserole with ham and broccoli will be a hit at your house.
- 6 cups (or slightly more) broccoli flowerets (about one pound after trimming)
- 1/2 tsp. salt for broccoli cooking water
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or use plain Greek yogurt if you prefer)
- 2 T + 2 T coarsely grated Parmesan
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups diced ham (I used a whole ham steak from Costco, which was slightly more than 2 cups)
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a 8" x 12" (or similar size) casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Take cream cheese out of the fridge and put into a bowl or measuring cup that's big enough to hold all the sauce ingredients.
- Let cream cheese soften on the counter while you prep other ingredients. You can partly soften cream cheese in the microwave by microwaving 20 seconds at a time and stirring until it's as soft as desired.
- Cut up enough broccoli to make 6 cups broccoli flowerets, or slightly more.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add salt, add broccoli, turn down to a low boil, and cook exactly 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, immediately drain broccoli into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain well.
- When the cream cheese is softened, mix in sour cream, 2 T coarsely grated Parmesan, 1 cup sharp cheddar, and sliced green onion.
- When broccoli is well drained, put it into a mixing bowl. (Pat the broccoli dry with paper towels if it seems very wet.)
- Gently stir the sauce mixture into the broccoli, making sure the broccoli pieces are all coated with sauce.
- Add ham cubes to the bowl and gently combine with the broccoli and sauce.
- Place broccoli/cheese/ham mixture into a 8" x 12" casserole dish and season with fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup sharp cheddar and 2 T coarsely grated Parmesan over the top of the casserole.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbling hot.
This recipe was adapted from Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin and tested by Kalyn and Kara.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gUnsaturated Fat: 7.4gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 906mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 4.2gProtein: 19g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin is a great dish for low-carb and Keto diet plans. This could be adapted to be suitable for any phase of the original South Beach Diet by using lean ham and low-fat cheese and other dairy products, and maybe using a bit less cream cheese or substituting a more SBD friendly option.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Check out Casserole Recipes for more Recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This delicious cheesy ham and broccoli casserole was first posted in 2019. It was last updated with more information in 2023.
43 Comments on “Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin (Video)”
I used a yellow onion in place of the green onions.
This was absolutely delicious!
Glad you liked it!
Kalyn, It’s 107 heat index today and I refuse to turn on my oven. But, I really want to make this, I have all the ingredients. Have you any experience cooking this on a stove top? I don’t care if it’s not brown on top. I just found you in Pinterest and enjoying looking at your recipes
I made this with frozen broccoli flowerets. It was delicious!
Thanks for sharing that, good to know!