Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin (Video)
Of course this Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin is a riff on my mega-popular Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin! And if you’ve enjoyed the casserole with cauliflower, this one is equally delicious! Check out Casserole Recipes for more Recipes like this one.
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole Au Gratin!
If you like cheesy broccoli and ham, I promise you are going to LOVE this new recipe for Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin. This is another recipe where an idea from a reader inspired a new version of a recipe that’s been hugely popular on the site, and this is a fun new variation of Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin! Everyone who’s enjoyed that recipe and likes broccoli is probably going to enjoy trying this new version.
I wish I had written down the name of the reader who commented on social media that she always makes the ham and cauliflower recipe using broccoli so I could give proper credit, but when she told me that I slapped myself on the forehead and wondered why I’d never thought of it! My fondness for broccoli + cheese is pretty well-documented on the blog, and I loved the idea of a cheesy casserole with ham and broccoli.
When we tested the recipe for Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin Kara and I made only a couple of minor changes, and it was a complete winner! And I have happily eaten up all my share of the leftovers, so I can report that this reheats beautifully too. Hope you enjoy trying it if you’re a fellow fan of cheesy broccoli!
How to Make Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Take cream cheese out of the fridge and start to soften it in a container that’s big enough to hold all the sauce ingredients. (You can partly soften cream cheese in the microwave if you want to.)
- Cut up enough broccoli to make 6 cups broccoli flowerets. (That’s a huge measuring cup in the photo!)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add broccoli, and cook 3 minutes, or even slightly less.
- After 3 minutes, immediately drain broccoli into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain well.
- When the cream cheese is softened, mix in sour cream, 2 T coarsely grated Parmesan, 1 cup sharp cheddar, and sliced green onion. (Blogger FAIL, missed taking a photo of that.)
- When broccoli is well drained, put it into a mixing bowl. (Pat dry with paper towels if it seems very wet.)
- Gently stir sauce mixture into the broccoli.
- Add ham cubes and gently combine with the broccoli and sauce.
- Place mixture into a 8″ x 12″ casserole dish and season with fresh-ground black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the rest of the sharp cheddar and coarsely grated Parmesan over the top of the casserole.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbling hot.
This reheated well and I loved having some leftovers for a quick low-carb dinner! If you like to do food prep you might want to use a bigger dish and double the recipe.
More Cheesy Broccoli to Try:
Broccoli and Three Cheese Keto Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Broccoli Cheese Nuggets ~ Joy Filled Eats
Low-Carb Broccoli, Ham, and Mozzarella Baked with Eggs ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Cheesy Low-Carb Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 12g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 89mg Sodium: 851mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 3g Protein: 16g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Low-Carb Ham and Broccoli Casserole au Gratin is a great dish for low-carb and Keto diet plans. This could be easily adapted to be suitable for any phase of the South Beach Diet by using lean ham and low-fat cheese and other dairy products, maybe using a bit less cream cheese and substituting a more SBD friendly option.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.