Delicata Squash and Sausage Gratin
Delicata Squash and Sausage Gratin also has green bell pepper and cheese, and this is a delicious easy casserole that’s gluten-free. Use Casserole Recipes for more tasty ideas like this one.
I’m developing an obsession with Delicata Squash, so forgive me for a minute while I rave on about this delicious user-friendly variety of squash. And if you’re wondering how a squash can be user-friendly, it’s because you can eat the skin of Delicata squash, unlike other winter squash varieties! Eating the skin makes it easier to prepare and adds fiber to reduce the net carbs. How cool is that?
I came up with this Delicata Squash and Sausage Gratin by default when my nephew Jake and I were trying a recipe idea with a sausage and green pepper mixture stuffed inside Delicata squash, and we ended up with far too much stuffing for the amount of squash we had. So we went to Plan B and made a casserole with the roasted squash, sausage-pepper mixture, and cheese.
Jake isn’t the biggest fan of winter squash but he agreed it was really, really good, and when my first photos weren’t that great I made this again with my niece Kara who also loved it. If you like winter squash in general, I bet you’ll love this recipe as much as we did! But don’t wait too long, because Delicata Squash only shows up for a short time in the fall.
Is Delicata Squash Low in Carbs?
Probably no winter squash is technically a low-carb ingredient, but Delicata Squash is lower in carbs and higher in fiber than many types of winter squash.
How to Make Delicata Squash and Sausage Gratin:
- Delicata can have either green or yellow strips like the photo above, top left.
- Cut the squash in chunks about an inch square, saving the ends to dice smaller for the sausage mixture.
- Toss squash with olive oil and Italian Herb Blend, then roast on a baking sheet at 400F/200C for about 25 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, heat a little oil and then cook the sausage until it’s nicely browned; remove to a bowl.
- Add a little more oil and cook the diced onion and green pepper with a little more Italian herb blend. Add to bowl with the sausage.
- Cut up the ends of the squash into pieces about 1/3 inch squash and cook for a few minutes.
- Then heat the sausage, onions, peppers, and small pieces of diced squash together for a minute or two.
- Spray a large casserole dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Put roasted pieces of squash in the dish and top with the sausage mixture and then a layer of grated cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until all the ingredients are hot and the cheese is melted and starting to lightly brown. Serve hot and enjoy!
More Delicious Recipes with Delicata Squash:
Chickpeas with Delicata Squash, Kale, and Coconut Milk ~ Healthy Green Kitchen
Roasted Delicata Squash with Rosemary ~ White on Rice Couple
Roasted Delicata Squash with Red Onions and Balsamic Vinegar ~ Opera Girl Cooks
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
I used my favorite Turkey Italian Sausage for this recipe. This can be kept in the fridge for several days and reheated in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. I’m guessing it freezes well, although I didn’t have any leftovers to freeze either time I made it!
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 5g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 274mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 8g
I used my favorite Turkey Italian Sausage for this recipe. This can be kept in the fridge for several days and reheated in the microwave or in a pan on the stove. I’m guessing it freezes well, although I didn’t have any leftovers to freeze either time I made it! Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Delicata Squash and Sausage Gratin loaded with low-carb and low-glycemic ingredients, and Delicata Squash is also lower in carbs and higher in fiber than many types of winter squash. However, winter squash is reserved for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet, and this recipe does have some carbs due to the squash so it may not be suitable for low-carb diet plans.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.