Low-Carb Roasted Lemon Cabbage and Sausage Sheet Pan Meal
Roasted lemon cabbage and pieces of sausage cook together for a low-carb sheet pan meal that’s easy and delicious! And depending on the sausage you choose this tasty sausage and cabbage sheet pan meal can be low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one!
Before I get into raving about how much we loved this ultra-easy Low-Carb Roasted Lemon Cabbage and Sausage Sheet Pan Meal, first I have to ask whether you’ve ever made my Roasted Cabbage with Lemon? That’s a side dish recipe that I love so much I could probably make a complete meal of it, so it’s not surprising that I was completely crazy about this sheet pan meal with roasted lemon cabbage and sausage. In fact, after I had tested the recipe with both Jake and Kara, I ended up making it again soon just for myself! And in a house where there is always too much food being tested, that doesn’t happen often.
And in case you haven’t noticed (or are new to this blog) I’ve been slightly infatuated with Sheet Pan Meals for a while now. They’re so easy and convenient, and there are lots of low-carb foods that taste good roasted on a sheet pan. This Low-Carb Roasted Lemon Cabbage and Sausage Sheet Pan Meal is especially good if you’re often only cooking for one or two people because you can cut up the sausage and cabbage, cook as much as you want, and keep the rest in the fridge for another meal a day or two later.
The high cooking temperature that browns the edges of the cabbage is partly what makes this dinner so good, so please don’t use a lower temperature than the 450F/230C that’s recommended. You can cover the sheet pan with foil if you want easier clean-up, but personally I like to brush the pan with olive oil and let the cabbage brown against the hot pan. But seriously, despite that caution this recipe is pretty much foolproof. Hope you’ll try it if you’re a sausage and cabbage fan!
Preheat oven to 450F/230C and brush sheet pan with olive oil. Cut sausage on the diagonal into pieces that are a couple of inches long. Cut the cabbage into smallish chunks, trying to keep the cabbage pieces from falling apart. Put cabbage chunks on the sheet pan, mix together 2 T olive oil and 2 T lemon juice, and brush the cabbage pieces with the olive oil-lemon juice mixture. Tuck sausage pieces between the pieces of cabbage.
Roast the cabbage and sausage 15 minutes. Then remove sheet pan from the oven and turn over some of the cabbage pieces. (I like to turn them, but it’s certainly not essential.) Put back in the oven and cook about 15 minutes more, or until cabbage and sausage pieces are both brown on the edges and cabbage is cooked to your liking.
Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve hot, with lemon slices to squeeze on at the table. (NOT optional if you’re a lemon fan like I am, but for some people the lemon that’s brushed on before cooking might be enough lemon.)
More Low-Carb Sheet Pan Meals You Might Like:
Low-Carb Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Sheet Pan Chicken and Broccoli with Bell Peppers ~ Family Food on the Table
Roasted Lemon Chicken and Green Beans Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Caprese Chicken Sheet Pan Meal ~ Big Bear’s Wife
Low-Carb Roasted Asian Shrimp and Brussels Sprouts Sheet Pan Meal ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Curry Shrimp and Zucchini Sheet Pan Meal ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Low-Carb Roasted Lemon Cabbage and Sausage Sheet Pan Meal
- 1 pkg (14-16 oz) pre-cooked turkey or pork sausage (I used Butterball Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage; check the carbs in the sausage if you’re strictly watching your carbs as some have have added sugar.)
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 T + 2 T olive oil
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice (I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice)
- salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- cut lemon pieces for serving (optional but recommended)
- Preheat the oven to 450F/230C and brush the sheet pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, or a little less for pork sausage.
- Cut the sausage on the diagonal into pieces that are about 2 inches long.
- Cut the cabbage into smallish chunks (about 3 inches square), trying to keep the cabbage pieces from falling apart. Put cabbage chunks on the sheet pan.
- Mix together 2 T olive oil and 2 T lemon juice, and brush the cabbage pieces with the olive oil-lemon juice mixture.
- Tuck sausage pieces between the pieces of cabbage.
- Roast the cabbage and sausage 15 minutes. Then remove from the oven and turn over some of the cabbage pieces, especially if you have some that are getting quite brown on the edges. (I like to turn them, but it’s probably not always essential.)
- Put sheet pan back in the oven and cook about 15 minutes more, or until cabbage and sausage pieces are both brown on the edges and cabbage is cooked to your liking.
- Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste and serve hot, with lemon pieces to squeeze on at the table if desired. (I love the extra lemon on this, but some people who aren’t huge lemon fans might think the lemon that’s brushed on before cooking is enough lemon.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you’re careful to choose a sausage that’s relatively low in carbs, this Low-Carb Roasted Lemon Cabbage and Sausage Sheet Pan Meal will be suitable for any low-carb or low-glycemic, including any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.