Kalyn’s Kitchen Picks: Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base
I think Penzeys Turkey Soup Base is a MUST-HAVE for Thanksgiving turkey and gravy, and this post is to remind you it’s time to order some! And you’ll also find ideas here to use turkey soup base to get rich turkey flavor in turkey soup and turkey stock.
Pin Kalyn Pick for Penzey’s Soup Base to find it later!
Thanksgiving is coming right up, and for some people this may be the first Thanksgiving in a few years that they’ve had a big family gathering. Let’s be thankful for that! And if you’re going to be cooking turkey this year, this Turkey Gravy Public Service Announcement is my yearly reminder to order Penzeys Turkey Soup Base to make your turkey gravy, turkey stock, and turkey soup!
In my family we’re huge fans of this product! And after many years of testing different brands of turkey soup base, in my opinion no other brand compares in flavor to the the turkey soup base you get from Penzey’s. (And for anyone who might be wondering, Penzeys has never paid me to promote their Turkey Soup Base, and I seriously doubt they even know my little blog exists!)
Where can you get Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base?
There are a few different ways to get your turkey soup base:
- If you’re lucky enough to have a Penzey’s store where you live, just go there and get some. (Salt Lake used to have one, but it closed.)
- You can also simply order Turkey Soup Base from Penzeys website, and if you’re like me you might find some other fun spices there.
- And now you can also order Penzeys Turkey Soup Base (affiliate link) from Amazon.com, which is the way I usually do it.
Why is Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base So Good?
Don’t confuse this turkey soup base with those horrid packets of turkey gravy mix that come in the turkey! The first ingredient in this product is cooked turkey meat. For anyone who’s even the slightest bit gravy-challenged, this will help you make the best turkey gravy you’ve ever made. And the Penzey’s turkey base is low enough in carbs that you can add a tablespoon or two to a batch of turkey gravy without adding too many carbs.
Tips for making Low-Carb Turkey Gravy with Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base:
- If you don’t mind a thin gravy, you can make amazing-tasting gravy just by adding little bit of Penzeys Turkey Soup Base the pan juices from the roasted turkey and then simmering on low until it’s reduced and slightly thickened. This is probably my preferred method.
- I’ve had turkey gravy made with Arrowroot Powder (affiliate link) which thickens like cornstarch but needs a a much smaller amount. But the arrowroot starch gives the food a shiny look, which some people might not like for gravy, and there are also some tricks to using it successfully.
- Ketologic makes low-carb turkey gravy with heavy cream and Xanthan gum, but I haven’t tried that method. I’d definitely add just a little Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base for a stronger turkey flavor.
- My PCOS Kitchen makes Paleo Turkey Giblet Gravy with Tapioca Starch (affiliate link) and this gravy is low in carbs. Again, I’d add a little Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base.
Recipes Using Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base:
I’ve shared a lot of ideas for Leftover Turkey (or chicken), but these are my favorite ways to use Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base.
- I love CrockPot or Instant Pot Turkey Breast, and I’d never make this without a little Penzeys Turkey Soup Base.
- The best turkey soup starts with turkey stock; here’s How to Make Turkey Stock. Making stock from the turkey carcass is definitely one of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions.
- This Low-Carb Turkey Soup with Zucchini Noodles is definitely my favorite things to make with leftover turkey. If you really want a super low-carb soup, leave out the carrots, but either way this soup is loaded with flavor.
- My blog has a round- up of Low-Carb and Keto Turkey Soup Recipes, and I’d use a bit of Penzey’s Turkey Base in any of those recipes.
More Turkey Recipes Where You Might Use This Product:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- Low-Carb Recipes for Leftover Turkey ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker and Instant Pot Turkey Soup Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
- Healthy Recipes for Leftover Turkey ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
More About Kalyn’s Kitchen Picks:
I purchased the Penzeys Turkey Soup Base myself and this company has no idea that I’m writing about their product. All items featured as Kalyn’s Kitchen Picks are things I happily buy over and over, and because I want readers to know that my opinions are completely unbiased, I don’t accept review products from the many companies who offer to send them to me. You can see the complete list of products I’ve chosen at Kalyn’s Kitchen Picks.
32 Comments on “Kalyn’s Kitchen Picks: Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base”
I don’t have any of this right now, so I can’t look on the product and answer that. You can probably find that info by googling the question though. I’m sure it’s not low in sodium.
Thanks for all the tips on turkey gravy. I ordered some of the Penzeys today. I love tried and true products so that I am not spending money on the unknown. I love your blog and used your recipes all the time.
So glad you are enjoying the recipes. I absolutely love this for turkey gravy and soup; hope you do too!
I wonder where can I buy this?
There are links in the post.
you should try their ham Soup Base, it is so AMAZING!
I do like it too! I am a big fan of their products.
Thanks so much for reviewing Penzey’s Turkey Soup Base. I love your recipes and I do take into consideration your product recommendations. I am so lucky that I live in Milwaukee, WI, the home base for Penzey’s. One of their stores is a mere 10 minutes away. I’ll be heading over there tomorrow. Thanks again, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Hi Toni. You are SO LUCKY to live by Penzeys. We finally got a store in Utah but it’s about 20 miles from my house, so obviously I don’t go there often. Hope you enjoy this; it’s a tradition in my family.
Obviously it is your choice whether to use it for not. But everyone in my huge extended family has been using it for many, many years with no problems so personally I don’t believe it has anything that harmful, especially not in the very small amounts you use of it.