Instant Pot Low-Carb Green Chile Chicken Burrito Bowl
Instant Pot Low-Carb Green Chile Chicken Burrito Bowl is a delicious year-round dinner that the whole family is going to like! Use the Pressure Cooker Index to find more Instant Pot recipes like this one!
This Instant Pot Low-Carb Green Chile Chicken Burrito Bowl was inspired by the Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowls that I made years ago, but this Instant Pot version has a few twists. First, I left out the black beans to make this a low-carb recipe (and you could certainly do that with the slow cooker version as well.) Second I used frozen cauliflower rice this time for easier prep; take your choice on that. (Check The BEST Easy Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Green Onion if you prefer to use fresh cauliflower.) And third, I had some cherry tomatoes that were just begging to be added to the avocado salsa, which made the dish tastier and more colorful.
When I tested this recipe with Jake and Kara, it took us two tries to get a winner, but we loved the final version of these green chile chicken burrito bowls made in the Instant Pot! We used both green chile salsa and canned diced green chiles (Anaheim chiles, not jalapenos!) for a double-dose of green chile flavor and then added a Poblano Chile to add even more flavor to the cauliflower rice.
If you’re a fan of green chile chicken I hope you’ll like this idea for a summer dinner that won’t heat up the kitchen! And this makes about 6 servings, so I am recommending it as a Weekend Food Prep idea as well; enjoy!
This recipe was featured in 10 Amazing Low-Carb Mexican Food Dinners to make in the Instant Pot on my other site Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker!
How to Make Instant Pot Low-Carb Green Chile Chicken Burrito Bowls:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Take the cauliflower rice out of the freezer to thaw when you start preparing the chicken.
- Cut four chicken breasts into strips so they’re easier to shred apart later.
- Put chicken into the Instant Pot with low-sugar salsa verde and canned diced green chiles, lock the lid, and set to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE, 8 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, use NATURAL RELEASE for 10 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure. Remove chicken to a cutting board to cool while you turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE, MEDIUM HEAT and cook the sauce to reduce it, about 8-10 minutes.
- When chicken is cool, shred chicken apart and put it back into the Instant Pot to mix with the flavorful green chile sauce. You can use the pressure cooker to keep it warm if needed.
- While the chicken cooks, first combine diced avocados, diced tomatoes, green onions, olive oil, lime juice, and a little salt to make the tomato-avocado salsa. (If you’re doing Weekend Food Prep, I would only make half the salsa and make the rest when you eat the leftovers.)
- Then chop onion and Poblano chile for the cauliflower rice. Cook onion for a few minutes in a frying pan, add chopped poblano and cook a little more, then add a little ground cumin.
- Add the thawed cauliflower rice and cook 6-8 minutes, or until it’s cooked through and all liquid has evaporated, (Cooking time will depend on how thawed the frozen cauliflower rice is. Check your package for cooking time from frozen and cook slightly less time for thawed.)
- Put a generous amount of cauliflower rice into a bowl, top with a scoop of the green chile chicken and sauce, then top with a scoop of the tomato-avocado salsa. (The salsa is the highest-carb part of this dish, so you might want to reduce or omit that.)
This was delicious as shown but other toppings could be added such as salsa, grated cheese, sour cream or guacamole!
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
More Green Chile Chicken Recipes to Enjoy!
Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Chicken Chile Verde ~ Little Ferraro Kitchen
Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitche
Easy Cheesy White Chicken Chili Stuffed Peppers ~ The BakerMama
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Chile Rellenos Chicken Soup ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
We used a 6-Quart Instant Pot for this recipe.We used Herdez Salsa Verde for the green chile salsa and my fresh-frozen lime juice for the lime juice. Choose a green chile salsa without added sugar. We used two 12 oz. packages cauliflower rice, but if you have the big package from Costco, just measure out 6 cups. Poblano chiles are often called Pasilla Peppers in U.S. grocery stores. Many of the carbs in this recipe are in the salsa ingredients, so reduce or omit that if you want lower carbs. This recipe inspired by Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowls; this Instant Pot version was created by Kalyn and tested with Jake and Kara.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 3g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 339mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 7g Protein: 30g
We used a 6-Quart Instant Pot for this recipe.We used Herdez Salsa Verde for the green chile salsa and my fresh-frozen lime juice for the lime juice. Choose a green chile salsa without added sugar. We used two 12 oz. packages cauliflower rice, but if you have the big package from Costco, just measure out 6 cups. Poblano chiles are often called Pasilla Peppers in U.S. grocery stores.
Many of the carbs in this recipe are in the salsa ingredients, so reduce or omit that if you want lower carbs.
This recipe inspired by Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowls; this Instant Pot version was created by Kalyn and tested with Jake and Kara.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Instant Pot Low-Carb Green Chile Chicken Burrito Bowl is a good bowl meal for any low-glycemic or low-carb diet, including any phase of the South Beach Diet as long as you use salsa verde without added sugar. We used Herdez Salsa Verde that has no added sugar and only one carb per tablespoon. Tomatoes have some carbs, so you could use less tomatoes than we did if you prefer.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.