Low-Carb Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos with Poblano-Cabbage Slaw
These Low-Carb Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos use low-carb taco shells, or eat inside lettuce wraps if you want even less carbs. This recipe is also low-glycemic and South Beach Diet Phase Two. If you’re not watching carbs make these tasty chicken tacos with any tortillas you like. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
I’ve been a fan of Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce since I used it for the Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole that’s been so popular on the blog, and any recipe that’s got limited carbs and involves tacos and green chile enchilada sauce is going to be something I’ll enjoy. It seemed like a simple enough concept: Make spicy green chile chicken in the slow cooker and then use the meat inside low-carb taco shells with a spicy cabbage slaw.
But it took Jake and I several tries to get the slow cooker to turn out green chile chicken we thought was a wow. And even though I know some of you are going to hate the idea of reducing canned sauce on the stove for 45 minutes before it goes into the slow cooker, that’s the method that produced the best flavor. The good news is that even with that time to reduce the sauce, you can start this recipe mid-afternoon and have Low-Carb Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos with Poblano-Cabbage Slaw for dinner that night!
Simmer Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (or other sauce of your choice) until it’s reduced to 3/4 cup, about 45 minutes. While sauce reduces, trim chicken breasts, put in slow cooker, and season with salt and pepper. Put the reduced sauce (and 1 can additional diced green chiles if you want to up the heat factor) over the chicken. Cook on high about 2 1/2 hours. (I used my favorite Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker.)
When the chicken is tender and starting to fall apart, remove to a cutting board and shred, leaving the sauce in the slow cooker. Put the shredded chicken back in the slow cooker and turn to low to keep warm and let the chicken absorb the sauce. I used Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Shells (with 3 carbs each), and heated the foil-wrapped tortillas in a toaster oven. Chop poblanos, green onions, cabbage, and cilantro and make the spicy slaw right before you’re ready to eat the tacos. (If you’re doing Weekend Food Prep and planning on leftovers, it would be best to only put dressing on half the slaw if you want it to stay crispy. Make the rest right before you eat the leftovers.
More Spicy Mexican Dinners You Might Like:
The BEST Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos from Food Bloggers ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Low-Carb Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Green Chile, Bacon, and Cheese Egg Bake ~ Recipe Girl
Green Chile Turkey Taco Salad with Peppers and Avocado ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Green Chile, Cheese, and Egg Breakfast or Lunch Muffins ~ The Perfect Pantry
Spicy Green Chile Mexican Enchilada Casserole with Ground Beef, Black Beans, and Tomatoes ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos with Poblano-Cabbage Slaw
Low-Carb Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos in low-carb taco shells or lettuce wraps are a delicious low-carb meal.
Slow Cooker Ingredients:
- 4 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 oz.) Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (regular or gluten-free will work equally well)
- 1 can (3.5 oz.) diced green chiles plus juice
Tacos and Slaw Ingredients:
- 8 fajita-size low-carb whole wheat tortillas (I used Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Shellswith 3 carbs each.)
- 1/2 large fresh Poblano chile, finely chopped (called Pasilla chiles in some stores)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 T mayo
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lime juice (I used my fresh-frozen lime juice)
- 1 tsp. Green Tabasco Sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
- Salt to taste, preferably Vege-Sal
- Cotija cheese for serving (optional)
- Put the green chile enchilada sauce into a small non-stick saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until enough liquid has evaporated that the sauce has reduced to 3/4 cup. This will take about 45 minutes, or slightly less if you’re watching it carefully and use slightly higher heat.
- While the sauce is reducing, trim chicken breasts and cut each breast lengthwise into 2 or 3 long strips. (Cut larger breasts into 3 strips and smaller ones into 2.)
- Spray the inside of slow cooker with olive oil or non-stick spray and put the chicken strips in the bottom.
- When the sauce has reduced to 3/4 cup, spread sauce over the chicken pieces and add the small can of diced green chiles.
- Cook on high for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the chicken shreds apart easily with a fork.
- When the chicken is done, use a slotted spoon to remove chicken pieces to a cutting board, leaving the sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Use 2 forks to shred the chicken apart into bite-sized pieces and put shredded chicken back in the slow cooker, stirring to coat the chicken with sauce.
- Turn slow cooker to low to keep the chicken warm while you prepare the rest of the tacos.
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F/200C.
- Remove plastic packaging from the low-carb tortilla shells, wrap in foil, and heat the tortillas while you make the slaw.
- Cut the Poblano chile in half, remove seeds, and finely chop half the chile (reserving the other half for another use.)
- Thinly slice green onions, green cabbage, red cabbage, and chop cilantro (if using.)
- Put the slaw ingredients in a bowl, then whisk together the mayo, lime juice, and Green Tabasco sauce and toss with the slaw.
- To serve, fill a heated tortilla with 1/8 of the chicken mixture and top with a generous scoop of slaw and a sprinkle of Cotija cheese if desired.
- If this makes more than you’d use for one meal I would only heat part of the tortillas and add add dressing to part of the slaw mixture.
- Refrigerate the leftover green chile chicken, extra tortillas, cut up slaw ingredients, and dressing separately, and finish preparation for the tortillas and slaw when you reheat the chicken.
I used my favorite Crock-Pot 3-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker, but if you only have a bigger size I’d just double the recipe and freeze some of the green chile chicken for later.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Jake.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
The small low-carb flour tortillas used in these Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken Tacos have only 3 carbs each, making them a good choice for phase 2 or 3 of the South Beach Diet or other low-carb diet plans. If you’re following South Beach or counting carbs, look for Green Chile Enchilada Sauce with the lowest amount of carbs you can find. (The Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce I used has 28 carbs per can, or about 3.5 carbs per taco.) You can eat this green chile chicken inside lettuce wraps for a lower-carb option.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there. Click here for more Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker Recipes on my other site!
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutritional analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.