Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole (VIDEO)
This Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole has all the flavors you love in green chile chicken enchiladas, minus quite a few of the carbs! Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one!
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole!
If you’re a Mexican food fan, you probably realize that most Mexican food is definitely not low in carbs. But this creative recipe for Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole is a lower-carb option than most enchilada casseroles of this type. I first made this recipe in 2014 and my family has been making it ever since, so I thought I’d update the post and feature it again to remind you what a perfect Cinco de Mayo dinner this would be!
When Jake and I came up with this idea of using roasted green chiles to replace the tortillas in a green chile and chicken mock enchilada casserole, I could tell from the beginning that the recipe was going to have a lot of fans. I replaced the tortillas with layers of mild roasted green chiles from a can, and also used Hatch Gluten Free Green Chile Enchilada sauce, a new product I found at my store.
The finished casserole does have some carbs of course, so if you’re looking for extremely low-carb or Keto recipes, this probably won’t work for you. But if you stick to the recommended serving size, this can be a nice carb-conscious dinner to enjoy when you’re craving Mexican food! When I first tested the recipe with Jake, we loved the flavors, and I shared some with my sister Pam and everyone in her family loved it too. And if you’d like a simpler version of this recipe that’s also a bit lower in carbs, this Low-Carb Twice-Cooked Chicken with Green Chiles and Cheese has a lot of the same flavors!
Where Can You Buy Big Cans of Roasted Green Chiles?
If you don’t live in the west, the hardest thing about this recipe might be finding the big cans of roasted green chiles. If you have a Mexican market near you, that’s the best place to get a good price on the big 27 oz. cans of whole green chiles that I love to use in recipes. But if that’s not an option you can get whole green chiles in a can at Amazon.com (affiliate link).
How to Make Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Trim chicken breasts and cut each one in half lengthwise. Put the chicken breasts in a pan, cover with water, and simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through. As soon as the chicken is done, drain it in a colander and remove to a cutting board to cool.
- When it’s cool enough to handle, shred the chicken apart into bite-sized pieces.
- Simmer the green chile enchilada sauce until it’s thickened and reduced to 2 cups. (Look for the lowest sugar green chile enchilada sauce you can find. I used Gluten Free Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (affiliate link).
- When the enchilada sauce has reduced to 2 cups, turn off the heat and then whisk in the cream cheese and sour cream.
- Put the colander back into the sink and drain the 27 oz. can of whole roasted green chiles (affiliate link). Then use your fingers to split each green chile and remove the seeds, making them into two equal piles so you can make two layers of chiles in the casserole.
- Spray a crockery or glass baking dish with non-stick spray and make a layer of green chiles.
- Make a layer of shredded chicken over the green chiles.
- Spread half the sauce over the chicken, then sprinkle half the cheese over the sauce.
- Make another layer each of whole roasted green chiles, chicken, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375F/190C until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese on top is getting browned.
- Let cool about 5 minutes, then cut and eat while it’s hot.
This will keep in the fridge for several days and can be reheated in the microwave, and it also freezes well.
More Tasty Dishes with Green Chiles:
Zucchini and Green Chile Breakfast Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken ~ The Perfect Pantry
Bobbi’s Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole with Eggs, Cheese, and Green Chiles ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Green Chile Sour Cream Enchilada Chicken Breasts ~ Boulder Locavore
Slow Cooker (or Pressure Cooker) Green Chile Shredded Beef Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Green Chile and Sausage Scrambled Eggs ~ Barefeet in the Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
If you need gluten-free enchilada sauce, look for Hatch Gluten Free or La Victoria brand. I found Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (affiliate link)at Amazon.com if you have a hard time finding it. I also found the 27 oz. can of whole roasted green chiles (affiliate link) at Amazon.com, but they are more expensive that way.
This recipe created by Kalyn and Jake.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 9g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 96mg Sodium: 335mg Carbohydrates: 14g Protein: 26g
If you need gluten-free enchilada sauce, look for Hatch Gluten Free or La Victoria brand. I found Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (affiliate link)at Amazon.com if you have a hard time finding it. I also found the 27 oz. can of whole roasted green chiles (affiliate link) at Amazon.com, but they are more expensive that way. This recipe created by Kalyn and Jake.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Eliminating the tortillas and adding low-glycemic roasted green chiles makes Green Chile and Chicken Mock Enchilada Casserole a perfect dish as an occasional treat for most other low-carb eating plans or any phase of the South Beach Diet. Most brands of green chile enchilada sauce do have a small amount of cornstarch as a thickener, so this isn’t suitable for people who are strictly following Keto or South Beach Diet Phase One, but the amount of carbs is still much lower than traditional enchiladas.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.