Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup (Video)
Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup is a tasty chicken soup with south-of-the-border flavors, and this is delicious with chunks of avocado added at the table! Use Pressure Cooker Recipes for more Instant Pot Soups like this one!
Watch the video to see if you’d like to make this Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup!
This Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup was inspired by a very old recipe for chicken soup with tomatillos that’s been retired from the blog! The original version had pinto beans, which I probably wouldn’t use in soup now, but recently I remembered that old soup recipe and decided to try creating an Instant Pot version with cauliflower rice instead of beans. And WOW! Was it ever a winner with Kara and I when we tested the recipe.
If you’re a pinto bean fan you can see the old printer friendly recipe for Chicken and Tortilla Soup here, but for anyone who’s watching carbs I think you’ll love the switch out for cauliflower rice for this new recipe, and of course soup is easy to make in the Instant Pot. We spiced up the soup a bit for the new version, and also served it with chunks of avocado on top, which was absolutely great with the flavors in this soup.
You’ll need fresh tomatillos to make this, but most any grocery store will have them. And tomatillos are very low in carbs, which is another reason to love the tart flavor they add to this soup. Read on for more info if you haven’t cooked with tomatillos!
What are Tomatillos?
Tomatillos are an interesting fruit that’s called husk tomato, jamberry, husk cherry, Mexican tomato, or ground cherry in different parts of the world. It’s easily recognizable from the husk that surrounds the fruit, and tomatillos are easy to grow (but you need two plants to pollinate each other.) Tomatillos are the key ingredient in fresh and cooked Latin American green sauces, and the flavor is sharp, slightly lemony, and tart. I’m a big fan of Tomatillo Salsa (with or without tomatoes), and the tomatillo is a key ingredient in Chile Verde, a Mexican stew made with pork. Although tomatillos slightly resemble the flavor of unripe tomatoes, they are much more flavorful and in my opinion green tomatoes aren’t really a good substitute.
WHAT SIZE INSTANT POT DID I USE?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot (affiliate link) for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! Or find more Instant Pot Recipes on my Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker site.
How to Make Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup:
(This is just a summary; scroll down for complete recipe.)
- Drain Ro-Tel Tomatoes (affiliate link) into a colander placed in the sink.
- Remove husks from tomatillos, then chop up tomatillos and onion into small pieces.
- I used Kirkland Organic Chicken Stock, but if you have homemade chicken stock that will be even better!
- Put drained tomatoes, chopped tomatillos and onions, chicken stock, diced green chiles (affiliate link), Mexican Oregano (affiliate link), ground cumin (affiliate link), salt, and fresh-ground pepper into the Instant Pot.
- Lock Lid, set Instant Pot to MANUAL, LOW PRESSURE (or use Soup Setting), 20 MINUTES.
- While Instant Pot cooks the soup base, chop up enough cooked chicken breast to make 4 cups cooked chicken. (We used cut-up rotisserie chicken.)
- Break apart the cauliflower rice in a 10 or 12 oz. package frozen cauliflower rice and let it start to thaw.
- When pressure cooking time is up, use QUICK RELEASE METHOD to release the pressure.
- Add cooked chicken and cauliflower rice to the Instant Pot. Set to SAUTE, MEDIUM HEAT, and simmer 15-20 minutes uncovered, or until soup has cooked down some and flavors are combined.
- Chop cilantro, cut up avocado (and toss with a little lime juice to keep it from turning brown) and squeeze fresh lime juice. (Bad blogger, forgot to take a photo of the avocado and lime juice.)
- Add chopped cilantro and lime juice and simmer 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve hot, with more lime and chopped avocado to add at the table if desired.
More Tasty Tasty Low-Carb Soups with Chicken
Weekend Food Prep:
This soup makes 8 servings, so the recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Love Your Instant Pot?
Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes!
I used some of my fresh-frozen lime juice to simmer in the soup.
This recipe is an updated version of a soup that's no longer on the blog, but see the old printer friendly recipe for Chicken and Tortilla Soup here if you're curious. Original version created by Kalyn. This Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup created by Kalyn and Kara.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 846mgCarbohydrates: 10.2gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
I used some of my fresh-frozen lime juice to simmer in the soup. This recipe is an updated version of a soup that's no longer on the blog, but see the old printer friendly recipe for Chicken and Tortilla Soup here if you're curious. Original version created by Kalyn. This Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup created by Kalyn and Kara.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tomatillo Soup is a great dish for low-carb and low-glycemic diet plans, and for any phase of the South Beach Diet. The highest carb ingredient here is the avocado, so go easy on that if you’re wanting fewer carbs.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there..