Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup
Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup is served with low-carb tortilla strips made in the air-fryer (or the oven), but skip the tortillas completely if you prefer. Use Soup Recipes to see more low-carb soups.
I’ve always been a fan of Chicken Tortilla Soup, so recently I decided to try making an Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup that would would still have a good flavor and texture without using high-carb ingredients like beans, corn, or rice that are often found in this type of soup. And when we were testing, we came up with the idea to use my favorite low-carb tortillas to make the tortilla strips part of this much-beloved soup. And this soup was a winner!
Of course, you can find variations of Chicken Tortilla Soup all over the web. But the favorite ingredients I use to add flavor to the soup are what I think makes my version of Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup especially good. I started by adding chopped Poblano Chile Peppers that get cooked with the onions to build flavor. (Your grocery store may call them Pasilla Chile Peppers if you’re in the U.S.; this is a relatively mild chile pepper with good flavor.)
Of course I added seasonings like garlic and ground cumin to the soup, but I also included my favorite Green Tabasco Sauce and a good handful of chopped cilantro added before the soup cooks under pressure. And when the soup was done we stirred in a generous amount of fresh-squeezed lime juice, more Green Tabasco sauce, and more chopped cilantro for a final punch of flavor.
While the soup cooked in the Instant Pot we cut Whole Wheat Fajita size Mission Carb Balance Tortillas into short strips, misted them with olive oil, and seasoned with a little salt, and cooked them in the Air Fryer until they were golden brown. (They don’t take long, watch them carefully!) You can cook the tortilla strips in the oven too if you don’t have an air fryer.
And if you’re like me you’ll definitely want to eat your soup with some grated Mexican Blend Cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a squeeze of lime juice to add at the table. Enjoy!
Steps for Making Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Chop up a medium onion and a large Poblano (Pasilla) Chile Pepper.
- Heat olive oil in the Instant Pot on SAUTE, MEDIUM HEAT, and cook until the chopped onion and chiles are starting to get soft and barely getting some color.
- Then add the minced garlic, ground cumin, salt, and half of the chopped cilantro and cook that for a couple of minutes. (Oops, didn’t take a photo of that.)
- While those ingredients are cooking, trim the chicken breasts if needed and cut each one into 3 or 4 thin strips.
- Drain tomatoes into a colander placed in the sink.
- When veggies and seasonings are done, add chicken breasts, chicken stock, drained petite dice tomatoes, and some Green Tabasco Sauce to the Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE, 10 MINUTES.
- When the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- When it is released, use a slotted spoon to scoop out the chicken strips and shred chicken into chunks with a fork.
- Add chicken back to the Instant Pot. Taste to see if you want to add a little more salt and more Green Tabasco Sauce.
- Add the fresh-squeezed lime juice and the rest of the chopped cilantro to the pot.
- While the soup cooks, cut Whole Wheat Fajita size Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (or low-carb tortillas of your choice) into short strips.
- Set Air Fryer to 350F. My Cuisinart Convection Air Fryer Toaster Oven (affiliate link) doesn’t have to be pre-heated, but preheat if your Air Fryer needs it.
- Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer in the Air Fryer basket, mist with olive oil, and season with a little salt.
- Cook tortilla strips 2 minutes, then shake the basket and cook a bit longer until they’re nicely browned. We cooked ours a total of four minutes, but I’d start to watch them after about 3 minutes. Here is How to Make Baked Tortilla Chips if you don’t have an Air Fryer.
- Serve tortilla strips, sour cream, and cheese on the side and let people add it at the table as desired. And I like an extra squeeze of lime in my soup!
More Mexican Recipes in the Instant Pot:
The BEST Instant Pot Mexican Food Recipes ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas ~ Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Instant Pot Low-Carb Southwestern Pot Roast ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas ~ A Mind “Full” Mom
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken with Lime and Melted Mozzarella ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Pressure Cooker Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Tostadas ~ Pressure Cooking Today
20 Amazing Recipes for Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef, Chicken, or Pork ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Love Your Instant Pot?
I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot for all my Instant Pot Recipes. Check out my growing collection of Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot Recipes! You can find more Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker Recipes on my other site!
Sometimes Poblano Chiles are called Pasilla Chile Peppers in the U.S. Use one more cup chicken stock if you prefer a more brothy soup. I used my fresh-frozen lime juice for this soup, but I wouldn't use bottled lime juice. Nutritional information doesn't include optional tortilla strips or toppings. I tested this recipe with help from Jake and Kara and our experiments were inspired by tortilla soup recipes we spotted around the web as well as the Chicken Tortilla Soup in The Keto Instant Pot Cookbook (affiliate link).
Other Optional Condiments For Serving:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226 Total Fat: 7.1g Saturated Fat: 1.7g Unsaturated Fat: 4.8g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 484mg Carbohydrates: 9.6g Fiber: .7g Sugar: 4.2g Protein: 29g
Sometimes Poblano Chiles are called Pasilla Chile Peppers in the U.S. Use one more cup chicken stock if you prefer a more brothy soup. I used my fresh-frozen lime juice for this soup, but I wouldn't use bottled lime juice.
Nutritional information doesn't include optional tortilla strips or toppings.
I tested this recipe with help from Jake and Kara and our experiments were inspired by tortilla soup recipes we spotted around the web as well as the Chicken Tortilla Soup in The Keto Instant Pot Cookbook (affiliate link).
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Instant Pot Low-Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup is a main dish for any low-glycemic diet or most low-carb diets, including phase two or three of the South Beach Diet. It’s lower in carbs if you skip the tortilla strips of course, but they don’t add many carbs and give a nice added texture to the soup.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.