Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Grilled Flatiron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is nice for a new twist on steak cooked on the grill! And this tasty low-carb steak dinner is also Keto, gluten-free, and low-glycemic. Use Grilling Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is something that would be great for the holiday weekend. Flat Iron Steak is a bit more expensive now than when I first posted about it in 2007, but it’s still a pretty good buy compared to most steak that’s suitable for grilling.
It was my butcher who recommended I try the cut of beef called Flat Iron Steak, telling me he was sure I’d like it. At first I thought this was just another name for flank steak, but I got interested when the butcher told me this cut of meat didn’t need to be marinated. I got even more interested when he told me it was perfect for grilling.
The Flat Iron Steak is a long thin piece of meat, sometimes called a top blade steak because it comes from the top of the blade chuck roast. You can see pictures of where the Flat Iron Steak is cut from and how it got the name at Gourmet Sleuth. Under that label on the piece of meat I bought it says “You have just purchased a great new steak! The Flat Iron is cut from sections of larger roasts using a new cutting method. It is so tender, other than the tenderloin, you won’t find a more tender steak.”If you don’t have an outdoor grill, this can be cooked on a stove-top grill pan with ridges or a George Foreman Grill with good results.
Chimichurri Sauce is a South American condiment for beef that’s based on fresh herbs, garlic, and lemon juice or vinegar. You can make it to taste, but we started with a generous amount of chopped cilantro and chopped flat-leaf parsley. Then Jake chopped up several tablespoons of finely-minced fresh garlic. (Jake has great chopping skills, but you could also use a food processor.) We mixed the sauce together to let flavors blend while we cooked the meat. I used my homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning to season the meat, but you can use any steak rub you have on hand. Let the steak come to room temperature while you pre-heat the grill.
Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the meat, and how well done you like it, but I cooked mine not quite 12 minutes for medium rare. Be sure to let the meat rest for a few minutes before you cut it.
Make it a Meal:
More Ideas with Beef for Dinner:
Amazing Recipes for Low-Carb and Keto Steak on the Grill ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Peperoncini Steak Marinade for Grilling ~ Reluctant Entertainer
Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Carne Asada Tacos ~ Foodie with Family
Grilled Cuban Flank Steak ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
Grilled Flatiron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is nice for a special meal cooked on the grill.
- 1 piece Flat Iron Steak, 1 1/2 – 2 pounds
- 1 T Steak Rub (I used my homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning, but you can use any brand or skip if you prefer)
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves (about 1 cup before chopping)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves (about 1 cup before chopping)
- 2 T minced garlic
- 3 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Aleppo pepper flakes (or use a smaller amount of cayenne pepper if you can’t find Aleppo pepper)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Take the steak out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking, rub with steak rub, and let it come to room temperature.
- Wash cilantro leaves and parsley leaves and dry with paper towel or spin dry in salad spinner. Finely chop the cilantro, parsley, and garlic, either by hand or in a food processor with steel blade.
- Put ingredients into a bowl and add lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Aleppo pepper and cumin and stir to combine. Then stir in olive oil until mixture is well blended, and let sit at room temperature at least 15 minutes before serving.
- To cook steak, preheat gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. (You can only hold your hand there for 2-3 seconds at that temperature.) Put steak on grill at an angle. After about 3-4 minutes, or when you see nice grill marks starting, rotate 45 degrees and cook 3-4 minutes more on first side.
- Turn steak over and cook on the second side until the meat is done to your liking. (I cooked my steak just under 12 minutes total for medium rare, but cooking time will depend on the heat of your grill, the temperature of the meat, and even the weather. I recommend using an instant-read meat thermometer for best results on beef. They’re widely available or you can follow that link to see an assortment at Amazon.com if you can’t find one where you live.)
- When meat is done to your liking, remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into thin slices across the grain. Serve hot, with Chimichurri sauce spooned over or on the side.
The grilling instructions came from the meat package and the Chimichurri Sauce was inspired by many other bloggers.
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Grilled Flatiron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is a perfect main dish for any phase of the South Beach Diet and other low-carb eating plans, including Paleo and Keto.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.