Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta
Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta is a delicious low-carb and Keto salad that’s perfect for a side dish and loaded with flavor!
I think spinach salad is a wonderful thing, and of course spinach salad with bacon is especially good. Not only does it taste fantastic, but leafy green vegetables like spinach provide more nutrients than any other food. And this Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta, has just enough bacon and Feta to make it delicious and it’s super low in carbs.
When I made the salad for a dinner with my niece, her husband, and a friend we used just one strip of pre-cooked bacon per serving, but of course you can use more bacon if you prefer! If you use extra bacon this a great low-carb or Keto salad. Whether you use a little or a lot of bacon, this salad will be delicious.
I’d love a spinach salad like this as a side dish salad for dinner, but I also love the idea of a big salad with leafy greens for lunch, and the combination of bacon and Feta is really a winner for my tastebuds. And I think this is also special enough for a side dish salad for holiday meal; enjoy!
What ingredients do you need?
- bacon (I use the pre-cooked bacon that needs refrigeration; use raw bacon if you prefer.)
- extra virgin Olive Oil (affiliate link) or bacon grease, whichever you prefer
- Balsamic Vinegar (affiliate link)
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link) or crushed fresh garlic
- Feta cheese
Why is spinach salad with bacon and Feta a favorite for me?
Spinach is such a healthy salad green and when you buy the pre-washed baby spinach there is literally no preparation needed for the greens! And of course I love bacon and my love for Feta Cheese is pretty well documented on the blog. I think those two favorites are a perfect combination in this salad.
What if you don’t like Feta Cheese?
If you’re not a fan of the tangy flavor of Feta cheese, you can use any crumbly white cheese like Cotija or Ques0 Fresco or just use grated Mozzarella if that’s what you have! Or just use more bacon and make this a Spinach Salad with Bacon without any cheese if you prefer!
Love eating your Leafy Greens?
Use the index page for Leafy Greens to see all the recipes using spinach, kale, Swiss Chard, lettuce, Spring Mix Greens, collards, Power Greens, and more!
How to Make Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Start with pre-cooked bacon and crisp it in a pan, until the fat bubbles up like this or just cook slices of regular bacon, which will produce a bit more fat.
- I used a 5-ounce package of organic baby spinach to make this side-dish salad for four people but you could increase the amount of spinach.
- Crumble enough feta so you have about 1 tablespoon for each salad you’re making.
- After you remove the bacon from the pan, remove some bacon grease from the pan if desired (depending on which type of bacon you used and your own preferences), and then heat the dressing for a minute or so. (Sorry, forget to take a photo of that!)
- Then toss the spinach with the hot dressing.
- Toss the salad again with the crumbled bacon.
- Put the salad on individual plates or in a serving bowl and sprinkle the feta over. Serve right away.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
More Spinach Salads You May Like:
- 5 oz. spinach (or more if you want larger salads)
- 4 strips bacon, (I use the pre-cooked bacon that needs refrigeration; use whichever type of bacon you prefer.)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil or bacon grease, whichever you prefer
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- For precooked bacon like I used, heat small frying pan, add bacon and cook 2-3 minutes, until bacon starts to crisp.
- Turn bacon over and cook on the second side until bacon is as crisp as you’d like it. (Precooked bacon will take less than 5 minutes total to crisp; if you start with raw bacon it will take longer.)
- Remove bacon to cool and blot bacon with paper towel to remove some fat if you prefer. Wipe out pan with a paper towel if you prefer to use olive oil in the dressing or leave the bacon fat if you'd like to use that.
- Put spinach into large bowl, big enough to toss salad in.
- Combine olive oil or bacon grease, balsamic vinegar, and garlic puree in small bowl and whisk together.
- Put pan back on heat, add oil-vinegar-garlic combination and heat until just starting to bubble, then pour immediately over spinach and toss.
- Arrange salad on serving plate, crumble feta over, and serve.
Recipe adapted from this spinach salad found on RecipeZaar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This salad would be perfect for low-carb or Keto eating plans, which would prefer starting with raw bacon and using bacon grease in the dressing. I hope the bacon police won’t come after me if I say if you cook the bacon carefully and blot off some fat, I would happily eat this Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta for any phase of the original South Beach Diet. But if you’re a South Beach Diet follower who feels strongly about avoiding bacon, I advise substituting Canadian Bacon or turkey bacon in this salad, crisping it a bit in the olive oil.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest or on Facebook to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe:
This favorite salad idea was first posted in 2007! The recipe was last updated with more information in 2022.