Low-Carb Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta
Low-Carb Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta is a delicious healthy salad that’s perfect for lunch! This tasty salad is also Keto, low-glycemic, and gluten-free and I’d eat it as an occasional treat for the South Beach Diet as well. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
I think spinach salad is a beautiful thing. Not only does it taste fantastic, but according to The World’s Healthiest Foods “Calorie for calorie, leafy green vegetables like spinach provide more nutrients than any other food.” And this Low-Carb Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta, has just enough bacon and Feta to make it delicious.
When I made the salad for a dinner with my niece, her husband, and a friend we used just one strip of pre-cooked bacon per serving, but of course you can use more bacon if you prefer! If you use extra bacon this a great low-carb or Keto salad. Whether you use a little or a lot of bacon, this salad will be delicious.
I’d love this Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta as a side dish salad for dinner, but I also love the idea of a big salad with leafy greens for lunch, and the combination of bacon and Feta is really a winner for my tastebuds. It’s Spring when you’re probably starting to think about eating more salads, so I’m reminding you of this favorite salad of mine; enjoy!
Start with pre-cooked bacon and crisp it in a pan, until the fat bubbles up like this or just cook slices of regular bacon, which will produce a bit more fat. I used a 5-ounce package of organic baby spinach to make this salad for four people.
Crumble enough feta so you have about 1 tablespoon for each salad you’re making. After you remove the bacon from the pan, remove some bacon grease from the pan if desired (depending on which type of bacon you used and your own preferences), and then heat the dressing for a minute or so. (Sorry, forget to take a photo of that!) Then toss the spinach with the hot dressing.
Toss the salad again with the crumbled bacon. Put the salad on individual plates or in a serving bowl and sprinkle the feta over. Serve right away.
Make it a Meal:
More Spinach Salads You May Like:
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Almonds and Dill ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Bacon, Sweet Potato, Pomegranate Spinach Salad ~ Family Fresh Cooking
Asian Spinach Salad with Chicken, Mushrooms, Peppers, and Almonds ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Spinach Salad with Chicken, Orange, and Avocado ~ Cookin’ Canuck
Thanksgiving Spinach Salad with Dried Cranberries, Almonds, and Goat Cheese ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta
Low-Carb Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta is a delicious healthy salad that’s perfect for lunch or as a side dish for dinner!
- Two large handfuls fresh spinach, washed and dried
- 1 strip bacon, (I use the pre-cooked bacon that needs refrigeration; use whichever type of bacon you prefer.)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil or bacon grease, whichever you prefer
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. garlic puree or crushed fresh garlic
- 1 T crumbled Feta cheese
- For precooked bacon like I used, heat small frying pan, add bacon and cook 2-3 minutes, until bacon starts to crisp.
- Turn bacon over and cook on the second side until bacon is as crisp as you’d like it. (Precooked bacon will take less than 5 minutes total to crisp; if you start with raw bacon it will take longer.)
- Remove bacon to cool and blot bacon with paper towel to remove some fat if you prefer. Wipe out pan with a paper towel if you prefer to use olive oil in the dressing or leave the bacon fat if you’d like to use that.
- Put spinach into large bowl, big enough to toss salad in.
- Combine olive oil or bacon grease, balsamic vinegar, and garlic puree in small bowl and whisk together.
- Put pan back on heat, add oil-vinegar-garlic combination and heat until just starting to bubble, then pour immediately over spinach and toss.
- Arrange salad on serving plate, crumble feta over, and serve.
Recipe adapted from this spinach salad found on RecipeZaar.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
I hope the bacon police won’t come after me if I say if you cook the bacon carefully and blot off some fat, I would happily eat this Low-Carb Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta for any phase of the South Beach Diet. But if you’re a South Beach Diet follower who feels strongly about avoiding bacon, I advise substituting Canadian Bacon or turkey bacon in this salad, crisping it a bit in the olive oil. It would also be suitable for most other types of low-carb eating plans, which would prefer starting with raw bacon and using bacon grease in the dressing.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into this nutrition analyzer, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.