Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole
This new Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole won’t win any beauty contests, but this is amazingly delicious for an easy low-carb and Keto dinner! Use Casseroles for more recipes likes this one.
If you’re a regular reader, you’ve probably noticed how I am such a fan of low-carb and Keto casseroles! And it’s not just because I grew up eating casseroles, because the casseroles my mom used to make were nothing like the low-carb casserole recipes I’m so fond of now. Mostly I think it’s the way you can make a casserole on the weekend and it guarantees leftovers for a few days. (At least that’s true for me; if you have a house full of teenage boys that probably isn’t going to work.)
This new recipe for Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole was inspired by an Easy Brown Rice Casserole with Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper that’s back in the archives of the blog. I love that old recipe and used to make it often back in the days when I followed South Beach and ate brown rice more often. But now most of my regular readers probably would prefer a version with cauliflower rice, and when I read through the recipe I was pretty sure that switch would work!
I used frozen cauliflower rice to make it extra easy to get this on the table, and added some mushrooms to the original recipe, which was a nice bonus. And after I tested this recipe with Kara and had some leftover in the fridge, I noticed how much I enjoyed it every time I pulled one out. And when I talked to Kara later about how she enjoyed her share of the leftovers, we both agreed it might have been even better when it was reheated, FTW! I didn’t manage to freeze any, but I’m sure this would freeze well. The casserole was not overly photogenic, but I hope you won’t let that stop you from making it because this is absolutely a winner!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C and spray casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Take the cauliflower rice out of the freezer and let it start to thaw.
- Chop mushrooms, onion, and green bell pepper and slice green onions.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook sausage over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned.
- Remove sausage, add more oil, add chopped mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms have released their liquid and all liquid has evaporated. Remove mushrooms.
- Heat another 2 tsp. oil in the frying pan; then add onions and green pepper and cook until they are barely starting to brown. Add spices and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add cauliflower rice to the pan and heat for few minutes. Season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Add cooked sausage and mushrooms and gently combine with other ingredients. Then add 1 cup grated mozzarella and stir to distribute the cheese.
- Put mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle the other cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until the top is starting to lightly brown.
- Serve hot, garnished with diagonally-sliced green onions if desired.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
More Low-Carb and Keto Casseroles with Cauliflower:
Amazing Low-Carb and Keto Casseroles with Cauliflower ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Keto Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole with Cauliflower ~ Joy Filled Eats
Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole with Cauliflower Rice ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
A ten-ounce package of frozen cauliflower rice is 2 1/2 cups; if you're taking the cauliflower rice from a larger package I might increase to 3 cups, or even slightly more. I used my favorite spicy turkey Italian Sausage, but use pork sausage if you prefer more fat. Ground Fennel is optional, but highly recommended! Use full-fat or reduced-fat Mozzarella, whichever you prefer. Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole was inspired by an Easy Brown Rice Casserole with Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper that's back in the archives of the blog.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506 Total Fat: 38g Saturated Fat: 15g Unsaturated Fat: 23.1g Cholesterol: 82mg Sodium: 1032mg Carbohydrates: 8.5g Fiber: 3.2g Sugar: 5.9g Protein: 29g
A ten-ounce package of frozen cauliflower rice is 2 1/2 cups; if you're taking the cauliflower rice from a larger package I might increase to 3 cups, or even slightly more. I used my favorite spicy turkey Italian Sausage, but use pork sausage if you prefer more fat. Ground Fennel is optional, but highly recommended! Use full-fat or reduced-fat Mozzarella, whichever you prefer.
Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole was inspired by an Easy Brown Rice Casserole with Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper that's back in the archives of the blog.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you use full-fat mozzarella this Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole is a great dish for low-carb diet or Keto plans. You can also use pork Italian Sausage for Keto if you prefer, but I would reduce the amount of oil when cooking the sausage. If you want to make this work for the South Beach Diet, be sure to use turkey Italian Sausage and low-fat mozzarella, and maybe reduce the amount of cheese.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.