Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole (Video)
Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole uses cauliflower rice, and this has all the flavors people love in Beef Stroganoff! This is a dinner the whole family will love.
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole with Cauliflower Rice!
I know for many of you the arrival of the new year signals a return to stricter low-carb or more carb-conscious eating, so I always like to start out the year with a knock-your-socks-off low-carb recipe. And it seems like when it’s cold outside people crave low-carb casseroles, right? This Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole is a recipe that was inspired by my Low-Carb Turkey Casserole with Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Cauliflower Rice that so many people have loved, but there are a few twists to this one that give it much more of a beef stroganoff vibe.
When I was growing up Beef Strofanoff was one of my favorite family meals, and we absolutely swooned over this casserole when we tested the recipe. (I love a good low-carb ground beef casserole and I gobbled up my share of the leftovers, which is always the sign of a winner since food bloggers often have the unique problem of too much food in the fridge.)
When I came up with the turkey and cauliflower rice casserole recipe with Kara we had to test it over and over to get a version that wasn’t watery. Sauteeing the cauliflower rice over very high heat to evaporate some of the water is one of the tricks to get rid of extra liquid, so please don’t skip that step. And another step that might seem finicky is making a concentrated beef stock that’s been cooked down so it’s thick; then that gets mixed into the sauce. Again, please do not skip that step.
This low-carb ground beef casserole is a casserole recipe with a few steps to put it together, but I promise it’s worth the trouble, and it makes enough that you should have some leftovers! Happy New Year everyone, and enjoy!
How to Make Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Combine 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (affiliate link) or a beef bouillon cube with 1/4 cup water, then simmer on the stove until it’s reduced to 1 tablespoon. (Edit: Shirley from Gluten Free Easily tells me that Better than Bouillon no longer guarantees their products are gluten-free, so that brand won’t work for people who have to avoid gluten.)
- While the beef stock reduces, brown the ground beef well.
- Put ground beef in the casserole dish, add a little more olive oil, then brown the quartered mushrooms and add to the casserole dish when they’re done.
- Mix together the sour cream and mayo and when the beef stock has reduced (and cooled a bit) pour it into that mixture.
- Heat a little more olive oil if needed and brown the onions.
- Then add the cauliflower rice, steak seasoning, salt, and pepper and cook about 3 minutes at very high heat so some water from the cauliflower is evaporated.
- Put the cauliflower rice mixture into the casserole dish.
- Mix the Mozzarella, Parmesan, and a little more steak seasoning into the sour cream-mayo-beef stock mixture.
- As you can see, we mixed together the ground beef, mushrooms, cauliflower rice-onion mixture, and the sauce right in the casserole dish, then patted it down and wiped off the edge of the dish.
- Top the casserole with a little more grated Mozzarella cheese and bake 30-40 minutes, or until it’s bubbling and nicely browned on the top.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This kept well in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave or in a pan on the stove.
More Low-Carb Casserole Recipes to Enjoy:
Cheesy Low-Carb Taco Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Easy Low-Carb Taco Pie ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low Carb (Sneaky Cauliflower) Mexican Lasagna ~ Sugar Free Mom
Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
You can buy Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (affiliate link) at Amazon.com if you don't find it in your store. I used packaged fresh cauliflower rice. If you're chopping cauliflower in a food processor to make the cauliflower rice, start with 6 cups cauliflower pieces. This recipe inspired by the Low-Carb Turkey Casserole with Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Cauliflower Rice that was created by Kalyn and Kara. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 16gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 655mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g
You can buy Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (affiliate link) at Amazon.com if you don't find it in your store. I used packaged fresh cauliflower rice. If you're chopping cauliflower in a food processor to make the cauliflower rice, start with 6 cups cauliflower pieces.
This recipe inspired by the Low-Carb Turkey Casserole with Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Cauliflower Rice that was created by Kalyn and Kara.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole is suitable for low-carb, Keto, and low-glycemic diets. If you use reduced fat dairy and low-fat ground beef it could be approved for the South Beach Diet, although it’s probably a once-in-a-while treat for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one! Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.