Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole with Cauliflower Rice (Video)
Start the new year out right with this amazing Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole with Cauliflower Rice! This recipe is also Keto, gluten-free, and can be South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index or Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one!
Watch the video to see if you might like to make
Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole with Cauliflower Rice!
It’s the first day of a brand new year, and that always makes me think of possibilities for the year to come. Often I start the year out on the blog with some kind of message about healthy eating. But this year I’m traveling in Mexico, plus last January I shared Straight Talk about Different Diet Types and This Blog, and that still reflects my goals for Kalyn’s Kitchen pretty well. In that post I mentioned that the site was going to be redesigned, and in September I launched The New and Improved Kalyn’s Kitchen.
I’m thrilled with the new site but switching 12+ years of blog content to a new blogging platform caused post formatting issues, and I’ll probably be editing old posts for years to come. (Be patient if you see mistakes!) But one of the best things about the new site is that now at the top of every post you can see clearly what diet types I feel that recipe is suitable for. Hope that is helpful!
I know for many of you the arrival of the new year signals a return to stricter low-carb or more carb-conscious eating, so I always like to start out the year with a knock-your-socks-off low-carb recipe. And it seems like when it’s cold outside people crave low-carb casseroles, right? This Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole with Cauliflower Rice is a recipe that was inspired by my Low-Carb Turkey Casserole with Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Cauliflower Rice that so many people have loved, but there are a few twists to this one that give it much more of a beef stroganoff vibe.
When I was growing up Beef Strofanoff was one of my favorite family meals, and we absolutely swooned over this casserole when we tested the recipe. (I love a good low-carb ground beef casserole and I gobbled up my share of the leftovers, which is always the sign of a winner since food bloggers often have the unique problem of too much food in the fridge.)
When I came up with the turkey and cauliflower rice casserole recipe with Kara we had to test it over and over to get a version that wasn’t watery. Sauteeing the cauliflower rice over very high heat to evaporate some of the water is one of the tricks to get rid of extra liquid, so please don’t skip that step. And another step that might seem finicky is making a concentrated beef stock that’s been cooked down so it’s thick; then that gets mixed into the sauce. Again, please do not skip that step. This low-carb ground beef casserole is a casserole recipe with a few steps to put it together, but I promise it’s worth the trouble, and it makes enough that you should have some leftovers! Happy New Year everyone, and enjoy!
Combine 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (or a beef bouillon cube) with 1/4 cup water, then simmer on the stove until it’s reduced to 1 tablespoon. While the beef stock reduces, brown the ground beef well. Put ground beef in the casserole dish, add a little more olive oil, then brown the quartered mushrooms and add to the casserole dish when they’re done. Mix together the sour cream and mayo and when the beef stock has reduced (and cooled a bit) pour it into that mixture.
Heat a little more olive oil if needed and brown the onions. Then add the cauliflower rice, steak seasoning, salt, and pepper and cook about 3 minutes at very high heat so some water from the cauliflower is evaporated. Put the cauliflower rice mixture into the casserole dish. Mix the Mozzarella, Parmesan, and a little more steak seasoning into the sour cream-mayo-beef stock mixture.
As you can see, we mixed together the ground beef, mushrooms, cauliflower rice-onion mixture, and the sauce right in the casserole dish, then patted it down and wiped off the edge of the dish. Top the casserole with a little more grated Mozzarella cheese and bake 30-40 minutes, or until it’s bubbling and nicely browned on the top.
Serve hot and enjoy! This kept well in the fridge and can be reheated in the microwave or in a pan on the stove.
More Low-Carb Casserole Recipes to Enjoy:
Cheesy Low-Carb Taco Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Easy Low-Carb Taco Pie ~ All Day I Dream About Food
Cheesy Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low Carb (Sneaky Cauliflower) Mexican Lasagna ~ Sugar Free Mom
Low-Carb Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole with Cauliflower Rice
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. mushrooms, washed, drained dry, and cut into quarters (I used brown Crimini mushrooms)
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (I used packaged fresh cauliflower rice. If you’re chopping cauliflower in a food processor to make the cauliflower rice, start with 6 cups cauliflower pieces.)
- 1 tsp. steak seasoning
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (or more) grated Mozzarella
- 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (or a beef bouillon cube) mixed with 1/4 cup water and then simmered to reduce to 1 tablespoon thick stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. steak seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a large glass or ceramic casserole dish with non-stick spray or brush with a little olive oil. (I used an oval-shaped dish that’s 13 inches long and 10 inches wide at the widest part.)
- Mix the Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (or a bouillon cube) with 1/4 cup water; then simmer the mixture on the stove in a very small pan until it’s reduced to 1 tablespoon thick stock. Let it cool.
- Heat a couple of teaspoons olive oil in a large heavy frying pan and cook the beef over medium-high heat until it’s completely browned, breaking apart with the turner as it cooks. Put browned beef in the casserole dish.
- While beef browns, wash mushrooms and spin dry in a salad spinner, or let them drain well. Chop up the cauliflower and pulse in the food processor to make cauliflower rice if you’re not using packed cauliflower rice.
- Cut drained mushrooms into quarters (or halves if they’re small.) Heat a couple more teaspoons olive oil in the frying pan and cook mushrooms over medium high heat until they have lost all their liquid and are slightly browned. Put mushrooms in the casserole dish.
- Mix the sour cream and mayo and add the cooled and reduced stock and stir together.
- While mushrooms cook, chop a medium-sized onion into small pieces. Heat two more teaspoons oil in the frying pan (if needed), add the onions, and cook over medium-high heat until onions are softened and starting to brown.
- Add the cauliflower rice, 1 tsp. steak seasoning, salt, and pepper to the frying pan with the onions. Turn heat to high and cook about 3 minutes, or until cauliflower is partly cooked and some liquid from the cauliflower has evaporated as steam. Add the onion-cauliflower rice mixture to the casserole dish and gently combine all the ingredients.
- Mix the 1 cup grated Mozzarella, Parmesan, and 1/2 tsp. steak seasoning into the mayo-sour cream mixture.
- Gently mix the sauce into the cauliflower rice-ground beef mixture in the casserole dish, patting it down when all the ingredients are well combined. Wipe off the edge of the casserole dish if it’s messy.
- Top the casserole with 1 cup (or more) grated Mozzarella.
- Bake casserole 30-40 minutes, or until it’s bubbling hot and the top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot. Leftovers of this will keep in the fridge for at least a week. It can be reheated in a microwave or in a small pan on the stove.
You can buy Better Than Bouillon Beef Base at Amazon.com if you don’t find it in your store.
This recipe inspired by the Low-Carb Turkey Casserole with Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Cauliflower Rice that was created by Kalyn and Kara.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Low-Carb Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole is suitable for low-carb, Keto, and low-glycemic diets. If you use reduced fat dairy and low-fat ground beef it could be approved for the South Beach Diet, although it’s probably a once-in-a-while treat for South Beach.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.