Easy Brown Rice Casserole with Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper
Easy Brown Rice Casserole has Italian Sausage, Bell Pepper and not much rice, so it’s a carb-conscious dish, and this tasty casserole is gluten-free. Use Casserole Recipes to find more recipes like this one.
Sometimes I just pull leftovers out of the fridge and come up with something that turns out so well I make the recipe again to take photos for the blog. That’s exactly what happened with this Easy Brown Rice Casserole with Italian Sausage and Green Pepper. I had leftover brown rice and some turkey Italian sausage that I’d thawed out and never used. In the vegetable crisper I had those 2/$1.00 green bell peppers that are so good this time of year. I cooked those things together into a tasty casserole topped with cheese and decided it was a keeper, so a few days later I made it again and took these photos.
I know it’s January now and lots of you are looking for ultra low-carb recipe ideas but with less than 1/2 cup brown rice, I’d still consider this to be a carb-conscious meal. So in 2020 I made Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice Sausage Casserole, which is a low-carb variation of this recipe. Both versions are delicious; give one of them a try!
How to Make Easy Brown Rice Casserole with Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe, including nutritional information.)
- Finely chop a large onion and a green bell pepper.
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in some olive oil. When they’re almost done, mix in 1 tsp. Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate link) and cook for a minute or two. You can also add a little ground fennel if you like fennel if you like that flavor like I do.
- Remove the sauteed onions and green peppers, squeeze turkey Italian sausage out of the casing, and saute in the same pan until it’s nicely browned, breaking apart as it cooks.
- Mix the sauteed vegetables and cooked brown rice in with the sausage and warm it for a few minutes.
- Put the mixture into a casserole dish that you’ve sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Top with about 3/4 cup of cheese. I used a four-cheese blend from Costco.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and the whole mixture is piping hot.
Make it a Meal:
If you wanted a low-carb side dish I’d eat this with something like Not-so-Dumb Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Onions, Avocado, and Balsamic Vinegar; Cucumbers Caesar; or Red Rock Brewery Style No-Mayo Vinegar Coleslaw with Oregano.
More Tasty Casserole Recipes for Dinner:
Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker Casseroles Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Low-Carb Sausage and Roasted Peppers Mock Lasagna Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Cheesy Baked Zucchini Noodle Casserole ~ Simply Recipes
Low-Carb Deconstructed Pizza Casserole ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and finely chopped
- 4 tsp. olive oil (divided)
- 1 tsp. Italian herb seasoning (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp. ground fennel (or more, optional)
- 1 19.5 oz. pkg. turkey Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup cheese (I used a four cheese blend)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large heavy frying pan.
- Add the chopped onion and green bell pepper and saute until the vegetables are cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate link) (and ground fennel if using) and saute 1-2 minutes more.
- Remove the cooked vegetables to a bowl.
- Add 2 tsp. more oil to the frying pan (or less if you’re using a non-stick pan.)
- Squeeze the turkey Italian sausage out of the casing and saute until it’s fully cooked and nicely browned, breaking apart with a turner as it cooks.
- This will take about 5-6 minutes, but don’t rush the browning.
- When sausage is done put the cooked vegetables and brown rice into the pan and mix with the sausage.
- Cook this mixture a few minutes, until the rice is warmed through.
- Put the mixture into a casserole dish that you’ve sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I used a dish that was 7″ x 9″ but a slightly larger size will work.)
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Put the casserole into the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and the whole thing is piping hot, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- This kept well in the fridge and reheated well in the microwave, although the green pepper flavor was stronger after it was reheated.
The Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate link) I used is a mix of dried oregano, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary.
This recipe created by Kalyn as a way to use leftover brown rice she had in the fridge.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 6.7g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 125mg Sodium: 971mg Carbohydrates: 18g Fiber: 1.6g Sugar: 1.7g Protein: 34g
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Easy Brown Rice Casserole with Turkey Italian Sausage and Green Bell Pepper would be a great main dish for phase two or three of the South Beach Diet, and it’s also gluten-free. This might not work for very strict low-carb eating plans, but there is definitely not much rice compared to the vegetable and protein ingredients.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there..