Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan
I think Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan is a great vegetable side dish for any summer holiday celebration and this tasty asparagus side dish is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly. Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
It’s Father’s Day, a day that’s definitely full of mixed emotions for me. On the one hand, it makes me miss my amazing dad even more than usual, and I’m sure anyone who’s lost their father understands how Father’s Day won’t ever be the same. But on the other hand, there are so many great fathers in the second generation of my family, and I love celebrating the day with some of them.
Today I’ll be going to a family Father’s Day celebration and I’m taking Shrimp and Macaroni Salad; without a doubt that’s the recipe from this blog that my shrimp-loving Dad requested most often. It’s also a hit with a lot of the younger fathers in the family, and perfect for a splurge on a day like today.
I’m not sure if my dad would have asked for this Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan; truthfully he wasn’t a big fan of most vegetables. But the last few years of his life, (when he lived in an assisted living center and I went there twice a week and cooked lunch for him), I made quite a few vegetable dishes that he enjoyed. I loved having those few years where I cooked regularly for my dad, and nothing would make me happier today than being able to cook something like this grilled asparagus and a big steak for him (with Shrimp and Macaroni Salad on the side!)
But of course that isn’t possible. Instead I’m sharing Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan as my Meatless Monday pick for this week, and I hope some of my readers will enjoy this updated favorite recipe of mine soon, maybe with one of the wonderful fathers in your life. And check out my other ideas for Low-Carb Grilled Vegetables if asparagus is just not for you.
Larger spears of asparagus are perfect for grilling, and having a grill-pan for vegetables like the one in the photos will make this recipe much easier. Preheat the pan on the grill while you trim the asparagus; then put asparagus in a plastic bag or flat pan and drizzle with oil.
Grill the asparagus until it’s done to your liking, turning about every 2-3 minutes. As you can see, I like it with a bit of a char. Sprinkle the hot asparagus with coarsely grated Parmesan and serve.
More Grilled and Roasted Veggies to Savor:
Kalyn’s BEST Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Recipes for Vegetables on the Grill ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Indian-Spiced Roasted Veggies ~ It’s Yummi
Grilled Mushrooms ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Fajita Vegetable Skewers ~ A Spicy Perspective
World’s Easiest Grilled Vegetables ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Oven-Fried Garlic Parmesan Green Beans ~ Sugar Free Mom
Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan
I think Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan is a great vegetable side dish for any summer holiday celebration.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1-2 T extra-virgin olive oil (enough to coat asparagus with oil)
- salt/pepper to taste
- about 1/3 – 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat charcoal or gas grill to medium high heat. (You can only hold your hand over it for a few seconds at that temperature.)
- Place grill-pan for vegetables on top of grill and heat it while you prepare asparagus. (Depending on the pan, you may want to spray it with oil or non-stick spray.)
- Break one piece of asparagus to see where the tough part of the stem starts, then trim ends of asparagus all to that length.
- Put trimmed asparagus pieces in a plastic bag (or use a pan) drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, then mix asparagus around in the bag or pan until it’s well coated with olive oil.
- Lay asparagus pieces on the grill pan and grill, turning every 2 minutes, until asparagus is getting nicely browned and is done to your liking. Cooking time will vary depending on your grill, but I cook it 10-12 minutes for the charred asparagus I prefer.
- Serve asparagus hot with freshly grated parmesan sprinkled over.
Recipe created by Kalyn.All images and text ©
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This is a perfect vegetable for any phase of The South Beach Diet, or any type of low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, you can sign up for a free membership with Yummly and use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information. Another option is entering the recipe into this Recipe Nutrition Analyzer, which will calculate it for you.