Lentil Salad with Green Olives
If you’re looking for a slightly unusual salad for a pot-luck, try this Lentil Salad with Green Olives; the salad also has red bell pepper, green onion, and herbs to boost the flavor even more! Check out Salad Recipes for more ideas like this!
Last night I got home from Chicago, where I had fun attending Eat Write Retreat, hanging out with my friend Stephanie, eating at some favorite spots like Greek Islands and Frontera Grill, and meeting some food bloggers that I’d known online but hadn’t met in person. While I was gone Salt Lake has been having a heat wave, with temperatures hovering around 100F for a few days now, so cold dishes like this Lentil Salad with Green Olives, Red Bell Pepper, Green Onion, and Herbs are sounding good!
My love for brown lentils is well documented on the blog, and this lentil salad recipe started with an idea that popped into my head to combine brown lentils and green olives, a combination I loved. Then I was inspired to add a generous amount of chopped red bell pepper plus Greek oregano and fresh Italian parsley from my garden, fresh ingredients that I really thought added an interesting twist to the salad.
Lentils are something I consider a “good carb,” but if you want to make the salad lower in carbs, I’d suggest using more red pepper and green onion and reducing the amount of lentils, for a lower-carb meatless salad that will be just as delicious. I think this vegan and gluten-free salad would make a great salad option for a Fourth of July barbecue or picnic; hope you enjoy.
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Put lentils in pan with 3 cups water, bring to very low simmer, and let cook until lentils are soft. (This will be about 30 minutes, but cooking times can vary quite a bit depending on how fresh the lentils are.)
- Drain the lentils well while you chop up the green olives. I used a jar of green olives with pimento, and after I drained them I used the bowl attachment of my immersion blender (affiliate link) to get coarsely chopped olives and pimento pieces.
- Slice the green onions and chop the green olives red pepper, and herbs.
- Combine one tablespoon each of lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil to make the marinade.
- As soon as the lentils are drained well, marinate the warm lentils in this mixture.
- Whisk together the rest of the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, sweet paprika, and Spike Seasoning; then whisk in olive oil to make the dressing for the salad.
- Combine the lentils, chopped red pepper, green onion, and green olives with the desired amount of dressing, and gently stir in the chopped herbs.
- Season salad with salt and fresh ground black pepper and serve salad cold or room temperature. This will keep in the fridge for a day or two, although I like it best when the fresh ingredients are still crunchy.
More Recipes with Lentils:
Beans and Legumes Recipes Index ~ Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker
Lebanese Lentil Salad with Garlic, Cumin, Mint, and Parsley ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Lentil Salad with Feta, Lemon, and Parsley ~ Rachel Cooks
Sausage and Lentils with Fried Sage ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Recipe created by Kalyn. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 675mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 9gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Recipe created by Kalyn.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Lentils are considered a “good carb” for the South Beach Diet, and you could eat a small serving of this Lentil Salad with Green Olives, Red Bell Pepper, Green Onion, and Greek Oregano for any phase of the diet. To make this a lower-carb salad, decrease the amount of lentils and use more chopped red pepper and sliced green onion.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Salad Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.