Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream
A generous amount of Hungarian Paprika makes this Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream flavorful and slightly spicy.
My fondness for Hungarian Paprika is probably obvious, and this comforting Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream is an easy dinner that’s always a hit.
I actually combined two recipe ideas to make a paprika-spiced combination of pork, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes with sour cream stirred in at the very end. This is not a stew; the meat is browned and then just warmed in the sauce.
You could serve this over brown rice or cauliflower rice, but I just ate it in a bowl as a low-carb main dish. This will be tasty no matter how you serve it; enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- pork loin
- sweet paprika, preferably Szeged Sweet Paprika (affiliate link)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Cremini or white mushrooms
- Minced Garlic (affiliate link)
- Dried Thyme (affiliate link)
- dried caraway seeds (affiliate link) ground or crushed, optional, but good
- canned petite dice tomatoes
- canned chicken broth (affiliate link) or homemade chicken stock)
- sour cream
How to make this recipe:
(Scroll down for complete printable recipe.)
- Trim the pork chops or pork loin roast, then cut the pork into pieces about 1 inch square.
- Put the pork cubes in a bowl and toss with 1 T sweet paprika, salt, and fresh ground black pepper. I use Szeged Paprika (affiliate link) for this recipe.
- Brown the pork pieces in olive oil over medium-high heat. It took about 6 minutes to get all the meat nicely browned.
- While the meat browns, wash and dry the mushrooms, then slice them into thick slices, about 1/2 inch.
- When meat is all browned, remove it to another dish, add another T olive oil and saute mushrooms until they are nicely browned and all liquid has been cooked off.
- Remove mushrooms to the same dish with the browned pork pieces, add a little more olive oil if needed, and cook the diced onions about 3-5 minutes, or until they’re just starting to brown.
- Add Minced Garlic (affiliate link), 1 T more paprika, Dried Thyme (affiliate link), and caraway seeds (affiliate link) if using and saute about 2 minutes more.
- Add one can petite dice tomatoes with juice and 1/2 cup chicken stock and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes, or until it’s slightly thickened.
- Add the browned pork cubes and mushrooms and any accumulated juices back into the pan, cover it, and simmer for about 10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat, gently stir in the sour cream and serve hot.
- Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream can be served over rice or pasta, but I just ate it in a bowl as a low-carb dinner.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
This would be delicious served with Cauliflower Rice with Basil, Parmesan, and Pine Nuts, Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan, Roasted Turnips, Turnip Gratin with Bacon, or Roasted Shredded Brussels Sprouts for a low-carb meal.
More Easy Dinners with Pork:
- Green Chile Pork Taco Bowl
- Pork and Broccoli Stir Fry with Ginger
- Low-Carb Instant Pot Pulled Pork
- Grain-Free Breaded Pork Chops
- Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Sauce
Why is this recipe good for Weekend Food Prep?
Weekend Food Prep is my category that can help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week! Of course, these are also recipes you can make any day of the week and have leftovers for another meal! This recipe makes six servings, and reheats beautifully so you can enjoy leftovers later.
- 1 lb. pork loin, fat trimmed and cut into cubes about 1 inch square (see notes)
- 2 T sweet paprika (use Hungarian or Spanish paprika in a tin for best flavor)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning pork
- 3 T olive oil
- 12 oz. Crimini or white mushrooms, washed and cut into thick slices
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 T finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried caraway seeds, ground or crushed (optional, but good)
- 14.5 oz. can petite dice tomatoes plus juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (I used my homemade chicken stock)
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Trim all visible fat from pork chops or pork loin roast, then cut meat into cubes about 1 inch square. Put pork in a bowl and toss with 1 T sweet paprika, salt, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a heavy frying pan with a tight-fitting lid. Brown pork over medium-high heat, turning several times so all sides are nicely browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove pork to another dish and add 1 T more olive oil to the pan, add sliced mushrooms and cook until nicely browned and all liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more. Remove mushrooms to same dish with the pork.
- Add a little more olive oil as needed, then add chopped onion and cook until just starting to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Then add minced garlic, other 1 T paprika, dried thyme, and ground or crushed caraway seeds (if using) and cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Add petite diced tomatoes with juice and chicken stock , bring to a simmer, and cook about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly thickened and flavors are well-blended.
- After 10 minutes add the browned pork cubes and mushrooms back into the pan, cover and simmer about 10 minutes more, or until pork is hot and cooked through.
- Turn off heat, stir in sour cream, and serve hot.
I used 4 thick pork loin chops, but use pork loin roast if you prefer. This can be served over cauliflower rice, rice, or noodles, but I just ate it alone as a low-carb dinner. If you’re making more than will be eaten at once, reheat gently so the sour cream doesn't separate.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 27g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Pork with Paprika, Mushrooms, and Sour Cream eaten alone would be suitable for low-carb eating plans, including Keto. When made with lean pork and low-fat sour cream, it would be suitable for any phase of the South Beach Diet; other low-carb diets would prefer full-fat dairy.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Easy to Cook or Pork Recipes to find more tasty recipes with pork. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.