Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage
Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage has ground beef, red peppers, cabbage, and plenty of paprika, and this soup is really delicious! And this Goulash Soup is low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic, gluten-free, and South Beach Diet friendly, and if you skip the optional sour cream garnish it can easily be Paleo or Whole 30! Use the Diet-Type Index to find more recipes like this one.
This Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage has ground beef, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, and cabbage, and it’s something I’ve been making ever since I discovered how much I love paprika. If you use Hungarian paprika the recipe is reminiscent of Hungarian Gulyas but without potatoes and other higher-carb veggies, and I’m of the opinion that lots of paprika is essential in a soup like this!
I used both sharp and sweet paprika (and I prefer Szeged Paprika, but any Hungarian paprika will be good.) You can probably get by with only sweet paprika, especially if you’re making it for kids. This soup freezes especially well, and I like to pull a container of it out of the freezer on a cold night, heat it up, and serve with a big dollop of sour cream!
And be sure to check out Instant Pot Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Ground Beef and Peppers if you prefer using the Instant Pot to make this tasty soup!
Cut onions in half both ways, then cut into thick slices, aiming for pieces that are all the same size. Cook the onions in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until they are starting to brown, then add minced garlic and cook about 2 minutes more. If you’re using the optional caraway seed, grind it a bit with a mortar and pestle or crush with a heavy mallet or knife.
Add the paprika and caraway seed to the browned onions and garlic and cook a minute or two more. Put the browned onion mixture into a large soup pot. Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of beef stock and add to soup pot, then add the rest of the beef stock, tomatoes, and water to the soup pot and start to simmer. (Remember, this is a double batch of soup in these photos.) Finely chop 2 cups of green cabbage and add to the simmering soup.
Cook 1 pound lean ground beef until it’s nicely browned, then add to the soup, turn heat to very low, and let it simmer for 1 hour. After the soup has simmered for about an hour, drain the jar of roasted red pepper and chop into pieces, then add to the soup. Taste for seasoning, and add more paprika if needed. Here’s the finished double batch of soup after it’s simmered for two hours and is thick and flavorful. I served some of this to guests who came for dinner, and it was a hit!
More Recipes with Roasted Red Peppers:
Roasted Green Beans and Red Bell Pepper ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Cauliflower Soup ~ Ruled Me
30-Minute Spicy Red Fish Stew ~ Kalyn’s Kitchen
Low-Carb Crab Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce ~ I Breathe I’m Hungry
Slow Cooker Frittata with Kale, Roasted Red Pepper, and Feta ~Kalyn’s Kitchen
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage
Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage is really delicious!
- 2 onions, cut half both ways, then in thick slivers
- 2 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T sweet Hungarian Paprika (I recommend Penzeys)
- 1 T hot Hungarian Paprika (I recommend Penzeys)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed caraway seed (optional)
- 4 cups homemade beef stock (or 3 cans, 14 oz. each)
- 3 cups roasted tomatoes or 2 cans(14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups finely diced cabbage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (ground chuck is best)
- 1 jar (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, diced into 1 inch pieces
- sour cream for serving (optional, omit for dairy-free)
- Heat large heavy frying pan, add oil, and saute onions about 5 minutes, until barely starting to color. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes more, then add paprika (I recommend Penzeys) and caraway if using and saute 1 minute more.
- Put onion/spice mixture into large soup pot. Deglaze pan with 1 cup of beef stock, then add that and rest of beef stock to soup pot. Add roasted tomatoes, cabbage and 2 cups water to soup pot and start to simmer.
- Brown ground beef in frying pan until quite brown, breaking into small pieces as it cooks. When browned add to soup pot. Let simmer on very low heat one hour. (Taste for seasoning and add more paprika if desired. I personally think you can never have too much paprika in a soup like this.)
- After one hour, add diced red peppers and simmer one hour more. Serve hot, garnished with sour cream. This freezes very well.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Made with lean ground beef and served with low fat sour cream, this Low-Carb Goulash Soup with Red Peppers and Cabbage is a great soup for any phase of the South Beach Diet, or make it with regular beef and sour cream for any other type of low-carb eating plan. If you omit the dollop of sour cream when you serve it, the soup can be Paleo or Whole 30 approved.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you. Or if you’re a member of Yummly, you can use the Yum button on my site to save the recipe and see the nutritional information there.