Grilled Fresh Salmon Burgers with Caper Mayonnaise
Grilled Fresh Salmon Burgers with Caper Mayonnaise are so tasty, and you can easily switch out the small amount of breadcrumbs for a low-carb option if you prefer!
I’m always surprised when people tell me they don’t have an outdoor grill. At my house the grill is under a covered deck, and it uses natural gas, so I’m always ready to grill. I don’t venture out there much in the dead of winter, but from early spring to late fall you’ll find me out there cooking all kinds of meat, fish, and vegetables on the grill.
This recipe for Grilled Fresh Salmon Burgers with Caper Mayonnaise is one I tried with my nephew Jake, and we gobbled ours up without a bun, but they would also be delicious on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and the caper mayonnaise spread on the bun if that appeals to you. This recipe originally called for a cup of panko breadcrumbs which I replaced with half whole wheat breadcrumbs and half Almond Flour (affiliate link). The small amount of breadcrumbs doesn’t add too many carbs, but through the years I’ve been switching out the whole wheat bread crumbs for a low-carb binder like Hemp Hearts (affiliate link), so use that option for Keto or stricter low-carb and that would also make them gluten-free.
What if you don’t have an outdoor grill?
How to Make Grilled Fresh Salmon Burgers with Caper Mayonnaise:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- Pre-chop the onion, celery, and chives to go in the salmon.
- Dice the salmon into small pieces so it will chop up quickly in the food processor.
- Then pulse the whole wheat breadcrumbs (or hemp hearts), almond meal, onion, celery, green onion or chives, egg, hot sauce, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in the food processor until it’s well blended.
- Add diced salmon to the food processor and pulse just a few times, until salmon is barely chopped and combined with the other ingredients.
- Form the salmon mixture into four large or six medium patties.
- Chill them for about 20 minutes in the freezer; this helps the patties stay together better on the grill.
- Chop up the capers; then mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, chopped capers, pickle relish, and salt and pepper to make the caper mayonnaise.
- Spray the grill well with non-stick spray and preheat to medium high.
- Just before you put the salmon on the grill, brush the surface of each burger with olive oil (or another oil of your choice).
- Rotating the salmon burgers on the first side will give those criss-cross grill marks I like so well.
- Serve salmon burgers hot with caper mayonnaise.
More Ideas with Salmon on the Grill:
Grilled Salmon with Maple-Sriracha Glaze from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Salmon Panang from Use Real Butter
Grilled Salmon Packets with Tomatoes, Olives, Garlic, Thyme, and Saffron from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Caper Mayonnaise Ingredients
- 2 T capers, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T dill pickle relish
- salt and pepper to taste
Salmon Burger Ingredients
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/ cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chives or green onion, sliced (see notes)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (see notes)
- 1 egg
- 1 T Sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce of your choice)
- 1 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. skinless salmon, diced into pieces about 1/2 inch square
- olive oil, for brushing burgers so they won’t stick on the grill
- Drain the capers and finely chop.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the chopped capers, mayo, light mayo, lemon juice, and dill pickle relish.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the caper mayonnaise chill in the fridge while you make the burgers.
- Coarsely chop the celery, onion, and fresh chives or green onion.
- Then add those to food processor with the whole wheat breadcrumbs (or hemp hearts), Almond Flour (affiliate link), egg, Sriracha Sauce (affiliate link), lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Pulse just until the veggies are chopped and the mixture is combined.
- Add the diced salmon cubes and pulse a few more times until the salmon is barely chopped and mixed with the other ingredients.
- Wash your hands, and with wet hands form the salmon into 4 large or 6 medium burgers.
- Place them on a cookie sheet as you make each one. (We chilled them for about 20 minutes in the freezer, but I’m not sure they need it.)
- Spray the grill grates well with non-stick spray for the grill; then preheat grill to medium-high. (You can only hold your hand there for 2-3 minutes at that temperature.)
- When you’re ready to grill, use a basting brush to brush both sides of the burgers with olive or grapeseed oil.
- Lay burgers carefully on the grill and let them cook without moving for about 4 minutes; then lift one side to see if you have good grill marks starting to show.
- If you want criss-cross grill marks, rotate the burgers and cook 2-3 minutes more on the same side.
- Then turn burgers carefully with a large turner and cook 2-4 minutes on the second side, or until they feel firm to the touch and are nicely browned.
- Serve burgers hot with caper mayonnaise.
- You can serve just the salmon burger patty on a plate or on a bun with lettuce and tomato.
- These were so good that I was excited to eat the leftover salmon burgers; I reheated them in a dry frying pan and they were just as delicious the second day.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 391mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 2.6gProtein: 22g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I am using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, since many variables affect those calculations.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Salmon is a healthful low-glycemic food, and with whole wheat breadcrumbs, these burgers are a good option for phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. You could make the burgers with a lower-carb binder instead of breadcrumbs, which would make them a low-carb option and also suitable for Phase One on the South Beach Diet.
Find More Recipes Like This One:
Use Grilling Recipes to find more recipes like this one. Use the Recipes by Diet Type photo index pages to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You can also Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.